Herbert Howells 1892-1983

Started by vandermolen, June 17, 2010, 12:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 27, 2020, 02:23:08 PM
A new recording of Missa Sabrinensis:

Wonderful! It's such an ecstatically glorious work, less concise than Hymnus Paradisi but often reaching the same exalted levels of inspiration as that masterwork.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

JohnP

calyptorhynchus

A disk of Howells' previously unrecorded piano music:

Here there is a piece called "Finzi: His Rest" which is a distinct piece from the well-known "Finzi's Rest". Apparently the story is that this latter piece was a pre-existing one that Howells revised on the day he heard of Finzi's death and published in Howells' Clavichord, but the  piece recorded here was actually a new one written that same day.

All the pieces are very good. I'm looking forward to volume 2.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Irons

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on July 20, 2020, 11:05:24 PM
A disk of Howells' previously unrecorded piano music:

Here there is a piece called "Finzi: His Rest" which is a distinct piece from the well-known "Finzi's Rest". Apparently the story is that this latter piece was a pre-existing one that Howells revised on the day he heard of Finzi's death and published in Howells' Clavichord, but the  piece recorded here was actually a new one written that same day.

All the pieces are very good. I'm looking forward to volume 2.

Most interesting. Howells is a composer I warm to but not so keen on vocal music which does narrow the field. I will investigate that CD, thanks.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 22, 2020, 07:35:53 AM
Most interesting. Howells is a composer I warm to but not so keen on vocal music which does narrow the field. I will investigate that CD, thanks.
Do you know Hymnus Paradisi Lol?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 22, 2020, 09:29:20 AM
Do you know Hymnus Paradisi Lol?

I know of it Jeffrey, but I guess that is not what you are asking. :) Odd really as two of my "Desert Island" discs are vocal, Finzi's Dies Natalis and Britten's Serenade but I have an aversion to choirs and religion in music. Never say never and of course I will give Hymnus Paradisi a listen as I do like Howells.
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 23, 2020, 03:17:49 AM
I know of it Jeffrey, but I guess that is not what you are asking. :) Odd really as two of my "Desert Island" discs are vocal, Finzi's Dies Natalis and Britten's Serenade but I have an aversion to choirs and religion in music. Never say never and of course I will give Hymnus Paradisi a listen as I do like Howells.
This is one of my all time favourite CDs:
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2020, 03:28:00 AM

On LP Dies Natalis is coupled with Holst.

vandermolen

Quote from: Irons on July 23, 2020, 03:58:40 AM
On LP Dies Natalis is coupled with Holst.
OT
I remember hearing Dies Natalis on the radio for the first time when I was on holiday in the Yorkshire Dales, aged about 19 - the last movement really moved me, so when I got back to London I rushed straight up to HMV to get the LP:

Back on topic - now listening to 'Stabat Mater':

Symphonic Addict

I'm aware this is not the more ideal listen for Christmas day, but I did have the need to hear this moving and eventually consoling masterpiece. Perhaps it also has to do and/or suits my mood right now

Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Figaro

I wondered if someone could clarify for me:
Howells String Quartet 'In Gloucestershire' is frequently referred to as "No.3", yet I can't find any reference whatsoever to any other String Quartets by the composer besides the "Fantasy String Quartet" which postdates #3 and therefore can't possibly be #1 or #2.

Whatever happened to the first two quartets? They don't appear to have been recorded nor available as sheet music. Are they lost, or withdrawn by the composer or something?

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Figaro on February 12, 2022, 02:10:44 PM
I wondered if someone could clarify for me:
Howells String Quartet 'In Gloucestershire' is frequently referred to as "No.3", yet I can't find any reference whatsoever to any other String Quartets by the composer besides the "Fantasy String Quartet" which postdates #3 and therefore can't possibly be #1 or #2.

Whatever happened to the first two quartets? They don't appear to have been recorded nor available as sheet music. Are they lost, or withdrawn by the composer or something?

My guess would be one of two things.... either

a) as you suggest there are withdrawn/lost earlier quartets or
b)  Lady Audrey's Suite = No.1, The Fantasy Quartet from 1917 is No.2 and "In Gloucestershire" (because it was finished in 1920 even though started before the Fantasy Quartet) is No.3

Oates

Quote from: Roasted Swan on February 13, 2022, 06:43:28 AM
My guess would be one of two things.... either

a) as you suggest there are withdrawn/lost earlier quartets or
b)  Lady Audrey's Suite = No.1, The Fantasy Quartet from 1917 is No.2 and "In Gloucestershire" (because it was finished in 1920 even though started before the Fantasy Quartet) is No.3

b) is absolutely correct, according to the most authoritative book I know on Howells The Music of Herbert Howells (2013) (ed Phillip A. Cooke and David Maw). Howells had numbered it No.3 on the manuscript.

Big David

Quote from: vandermolen on July 23, 2020, 03:28:00 AM

I bought this CD a few years ago after reading an article in Gramophone about the Hymnus Paradisi.  Willcocks' recording was the first available and the soloists are utterly magnificent.  Of course it isn't a digital recording and Gramophone felt that others were better conducted but Harper and Tear are so good that all lovers of English music should acquire the disc if they can find it, IMHO.

IIRC this CD is no longer commercially available, except as a download; but I managed to acquire a copy via ebay.

Figaro

Quote from: Oates on February 13, 2022, 07:43:34 AM
b) is absolutely correct, according to the most authoritative book I know on Howells The Music of Herbert Howells (2013) (ed Phillip A. Cooke and David Maw). Howells had numbered it No.3 on the manuscript.

Thanks very much both for clarifying that!

vandermolen

Quote from: Big David on February 14, 2022, 10:07:02 AM
I bought this CD a few years ago after reading an article in Gramophone about the Hymnus Paradisi.  Willcocks' recording was the first available and the soloists are utterly magnificent.  Of course it isn't a digital recording and Gramophone felt that others were better conducted but Harper and Tear are so good that all lovers of English music should acquire the disc if they can find it, IMHO.

IIRC this CD is no longer commercially available, except as a download; but I managed to acquire a copy via ebay.
I agree. I have about 5 recordings of the work but the Willcocks version remains my favourite.

calyptorhynchus

This disc launched today:

As with the Vol 1 which came out last year, very good. The Sonatina at the end is particularly good, only someone as modest as Howells would call it this, anyone else would call it a Sonata (it clocks in at over 15 minutes).
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

lordlance

Most of the discussion on this thread seems to be around his chamber or vocal music. Any particular recommendations from his orchestral music?
If you are interested in listening to orchestrations of solo/chamber music, you might be interested in this thread.
Also looking for recommendations on neglected conductors thread.

Spotted Horses

Sorry to bring it back to Chamber Music, but his clarinet sonata, recorded here, is wonderful, if memory serves.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

calyptorhynchus

I just dug this disc out my cupboard.

It has on it a very nice arrangement of Howell's Oboe Sonata (1942) as a Concerto. Works very well. Some of the figurations and material are slightly reminiscent of Finzi's Clarinet Concerto of a few years later. I wonder if Howells played his Oboe Sonata to Finzi during composition and some influence was exerted.