Aaand I'm back!

Started by Brian, June 19, 2007, 07:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Wow, it's been about three weeks, hasn't it?
Anyhow, I have completed the transition to a new computer and have survived a rough patch of too-much-stuff-to-do and you can expect me to pop by more regularly again.

As far as introductions go...
Name's Brian
I will soon be a freshman at Rice University in Houston, TX
I love a great deal of music from roughly 1750 - 1950. Last ten composers listened to: {Severac, Gershwin, Paderewski, Dvorak, Bruch, Grieg, Beethoven, traditional Chinese folksong, Kopylov, Karlowicz}

I took piano lessons for a couple years, but was continually frustrated by the fact that my two hands can't play independently from each other. Eventually my mom even dragged me to a doctor, who pronounced my motor skills atrocious and declared me hopeless. A Rice music student has helpfully suggested that if I love music, I could learn to play the bass drum.  :( :(

uffeviking

Nice to have you back, even with a new computer, to better post at GMG with!

No problem with typing with all ten fingers, or do hunt-and-peck? I was trying to find an instrument for you to learn, beside the bass drum, and discovered most of them demand two hands. How about the triangle, if it's hung on some stand?

Cheers!

Joan

Hello Brian! I'm new here, so you don't know me, but welcome back!

Quote from: brianrein on June 19, 2007, 07:28:49 PM
I took piano lessons for a couple years, but was continually frustrated by the fact that my two hands can't play independently from each other. Eventually my mom even dragged me to a doctor, who pronounced my motor skills atrocious and declared me hopeless. A Rice music student has helpfully suggested that if I love music, I could learn to play the bass drum.  :( :(

Another frustrated piano player! Join the club... :-\  Someone once told me to try the trombone...

knight66

Welcome back....computers are fine.....as long as they work and a complete pain otherwise.

I am thinking of keeping an IT guy in a wardrobe so he is handy.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Hollywood

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Harry

Steve

Welcome, Brian.

Now, if only we could do something about that avatar (or lack thereof)...  :)

Maciek

Welcome back, Brian. :D

What were the pieces by Paderewski and Karlowicz that you listened to?

bhodges

Hi Brian and welcome back.  I have a close friend who went to Rice, and not only does she speak highly of her experience there in general, she thought the music department was quite good.  Anyway, good luck with your studies, and hey, lots of nice parts for the bass drum around... ;)

--Bruce

Brian

uffeviking - can't be sure but i think i use 7-9 fingers usually, totally disorganized typing style, but it's fast so I don't complain. :) Maybe that is why I hate the "homerow keys"!
Joan - trombone? Sounds like we should start our breathing exercises!
Quote from: Steve on June 20, 2007, 02:42:55 AM
Welcome, Brian.

Now, if only we could do something about that avatar (or lack thereof)...  :)
How about the dismembered hands of a Rice conducting student (pilfered from their website)?  :)
bhodges - thanks! Hm, I'd be ready to perform in Tchaikovsky's Sixth if anyone will take me!

MrOsa - Karlowicz Violin Concerto, a performance I think you uploaded - Piotr Plawner / Antoni Wit. Paderewski's Nocturne played by Stephen Hough appears on Hough's "Piano Album" of favorites ... I'm going to include it on a CD I'm burning for a piano student friend.  :) 

thanks all & see you around!  :) 

Brian

Quote from: brianrein on June 20, 2007, 03:52:01 PM\How about the dismembered hands of a Rice conducting student (pilfered from their website)?  :)
Never mind ... had a better idea. :)
Seeing this picture at the top of every page is rather depressing, though.

Larry Rinkel

You sure look older than the typical freshman.

Brian

Quote from: Larry Rinkel on June 20, 2007, 04:08:48 PM
You sure look older than the typical freshman.
Ya, will go to another photographer next time.

bhodges thanks again for the comments on Rice, I'm quite excited to go!

bhodges

PS, Brian, here's one of my favorite recent recordings...coincidentally...recorded at Rice!

--Bruce

Haffner

"Welcome Back,Welcome Back,Welcome Back..."

Brian

Quote from: bhodges on June 21, 2007, 01:47:30 PM
PS, Brian, here's one of my favorite recent recordings...coincidentally...recorded at Rice!

--Bruce
Neat! Looking it up on naxos.com, I see the violinist was a Rice graduate student in '03, and his dissertation was on the subject of the Ives sonatas, and the pianist is the former Rice "staff pianist".  :)

Greta

Congrats on Rice! Not far from me at all.

Rice does have a wonderful music school, their Composition dept. is quite active these days and there are no shortage of fun new music concerts on campus. Also make sure you take advantage of the Houston Symphony student pricing, which is only $9 a concert!

Nice to see you back at GMG. :)