Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artem

I will definitely continue investigation of his works.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Artem on March 16, 2021, 06:48:58 AM
I will definitely continue investigation of his works.

Please do. He's not one of the greatest 20th Century composers for no reason.

Mirror Image

I also want to add that one of the attractions I have to Stravinsky's music besides the afore mentioned harmony, rhythm, color, etc. is the way his music can turnaround and surprise you as the piece progresses. It's those ingenious turn-of-phrases that give his music a distinctiveness unlike any other composer I've heard.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Artem on March 16, 2021, 06:33:26 AM
It is the intense rythm that puts me off.

My guess is that you may well take to Orpheus.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 16, 2021, 09:58:14 AM
My guess is that you may well take to Orpheus.

Apollon musagète and Le Baiser de la fée would also fit the bill here.

ritter

Today, we commemorate the death of Igor Fyodorovich Stravinsky 50 years ago, on April 6th, 1971 in New York City, aged 89. One of the truly great composers of all time.

Cross-posted from the WAYLTN thread:

Quote from: ritter on April 06, 2021, 12:55:49 AM
Commemorating the 50th anniversary of Igor Stravinsky's death:

This is the composer's first (mono) recording of The Fairy's Kiss (complete ballet), with the Cleveland Orchestra.

From this set (one of the great achievements of the gramophone):

Brahmsian

In memory of Igor Stravinsky, I am listening to the newly arrived (in my home) Monteux and Boston Symphony Orchestra 1959 performance of Petruska.

A marvelous work that has long been my favourite of Stravinsky, and what a marvelous performance this is!  :o

bhodges

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 06, 2021, 11:05:38 AM
In memory of Igor Stravinsky, I am listening to the newly arrived (in my home) Monteux and Boston Symphony Orchestra 1959 performance of Petruska.

A marvelous work that has long been my favourite of Stravinsky, and what a marvelous performance this is!  :o

That's a great one. (Said as a fan of Monteux in general.)

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on April 06, 2021, 11:13:09 AM
That's a great one. (Said as a fan of Monteux in general.)

--Bruce

I got that disc because of the Franck symphony but the Petruska performance is astounding.

bhodges

Quote from: OrchestralNut on April 06, 2021, 11:21:34 AM
I got that disc because of the Franck symphony but the Petruska performance is astounding.

Hehehe, can't but agree. My experience was the reverse: got it for the Stravinsky, and pleasantly surprised by the Franck.

--Bruce

Brahmsian

Quote from: Brewski on April 06, 2021, 11:26:39 AM
Hehehe, can't but agree. My experience was the reverse: got it for the Stravinsky, and pleasantly surprised by the Franck.

--Bruce

:laugh:

Well, there you go Bruce! Seems like a win-win for fans of either works or both.

Karl Henning

My ears thank you for the head's-up on this set, Rafael! And, what is this stimulus money for, anyway?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

ritter

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on April 06, 2021, 11:33:04 AM
My ears thank you for the head's-up on this set, Rafael! And, what is this stimulus money for, anyway?
You are welcome, Karl. I insist, one of the glories of the gramophone! Worth every penny.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: ritter on April 06, 2021, 11:43:55 AM
You are welcome, Karl. I insist, one of the glories of the gramophone! Worth every penny.  :)

I have full confidence.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roasted Swan

Yesterday as part of my lockdown mission to explore recordings I own but do not know well if at all I listened to this one;

I've never heard the Canticum Sacrum/Requiem Canticles/Chorale Variations before  but I have to say I enjoyed this a lot - both the works and these performances.  Obviously I no frame of reference for either.  My memory is that these Jarvi/Stravinsky recordings with the Suisse Romande were received with luke-warm reviews back when-ever.  How do people who know think these measure up?  I have to say I thought the "Rite" here pretty good.  Well played and well recorded - perhaps lacking the ritualised barbarity I think the work does need but Jarvi makes a couple of interesting/unusual choices and I was certainly happy to hear them - the acceleration through the 11 hammer strokes into the "Naming and honouring of the Chosen One" I thought rather effective.......

Anyway - I need to revisit other recordings from this set

which was a bargain purchase I recall and good value with Chandos having recoupled 6 original releases onto 5 discs

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 12, 2021, 11:23:21 PM
Yesterday as part of my lockdown mission to explore recordings I own but do not know well if at all I listened to this one;

I've never heard the Canticum Sacrum/Requiem Canticles/Chorale Variations before  but I have to say I enjoyed this a lot - both the works and these performances.  Obviously I no frame of reference for either.  My memory is that these Jarvi/Stravinsky recordings with the Suisse Romande were received with luke-warm reviews back when-ever.  How do people who know think these measure up?  I have to say I thought the "Rite" here pretty good.  Well played and well recorded - perhaps lacking the ritualised barbarity I think the work does need but Jarvi makes a couple of interesting/unusual choices and I was certainly happy to hear them - the acceleration through the 11 hammer strokes into the "Naming and honouring of the Chosen One" I thought rather effective.......

Anyway - I need to revisit other recordings from this set

which was a bargain purchase I recall and good value with Chandos having recoupled 6 original releases onto 5 discs

I own a few Stravinsky Järvi recordings and, to be honest, it's like oil and water. The two just don't go together. It's been so long since I've listened to any of his Stravinsky, but I get the impression that his performances of the earlier works are better than the middle and late period works. He doesn't do 'cool detachment' really well and especially in the Neoclassical works, you have to be careful and not let things get heated up to the point where emotion is more important than allowing the clean lines to come through unfettered. So, no, I never thought of him as a good Stravinskian.

Roasted Swan

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 13, 2021, 06:44:05 AM
I own a few Stravinsky Järvi recordings and, to be honest, it's like oil and water. The two just don't go together. It's been so long since I've listened to any of his Stravinsky, but I get the impression that his performances of the earlier works are better than the middle and late period works. He doesn't do 'cool detachment' really well and especially in the Neoclassical works, you have to be careful and not let things get heated up to the point where emotion is more important than allowing the clean lines to come through unfettered. So, no, I never thought of him as a good Stravinskian.

I can absolutely see where you are coming from - so which would be your prefered versions of the choral works on the disc I listened to?

Mirror Image

Quote from: Roasted Swan on April 13, 2021, 09:05:26 AM
I can absolutely see where you are coming from - so which would be your prefered versions of the choral works on the disc I listened to?

Stravinsky's own performances are always great listens. For the Canticum Sacrum, this O'Donnell performance on Hyperion is still a favorite:

For the Requiem Canticles, this newer recording with Herreweghe is superb:

bhodges

It feels like a luxury to have so many good versions of Apollon Musagète available. This one, from February 9, 2018, is with the Netherlands Chamber Orchestra, and beautifully filmed in black and white.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etHH74FA7Ns

--Bruce

Karl Henning

As my appetite was whetted by the images Rafael was posting on the Stravinsky anniversary, this looked too good not to fetch in.  It has landed, in all its magnificence
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA