The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Chez Stravinsky

<< < (272/272)

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: rbd on May 25, 2022, 07:46:09 PM ---Thank you all for the warm welcome! i had done an internet search to see if I could find a Stravinsky forum, and found this thread. It has been wonderful reading!

My first Stravinsky recording was Le Sacre, the Colin Davis recording with the LSO in 1963. Why that one? It was the only one at my local record store. Also my introduction to Philips pressings which were amazingly quiet. I still have a soft spot for that recording, even though there are others that I listen to more often.

Favorite Stravinsky works? That changes hourly, but here are a few that come to mind:

1) The Owl and the Pussycat. I can't hear that one enough.It shows how odd my brain is. (Aspergers).

2) Les Noces. I've been going through the various recordings, each one has something to offer. I've been trying to find a complete recording of the 1919 version, but no luck yet. Rex Lawson said he had one that he had performed and was offering it to people at his website. I reached out and sent an email, but alas I didn't get a response.

3) Symphonies of Wind Instruments. I'm not a score follower, so I don't really understand the differences between the 1920 version and the 1947 version, just love the work.

4) Septet. Wonderful dissonant writing...

5) Movements for Piano & Orchestra.

6) Petrushka. That (I think) was the second Stravinsky record that I bought (way back in the day), and still love it.

7) Had to add Threni & Requiem Canticles.

I'm going to stop now ore I will just list all of his works. ;D

This will change in about an hour, but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment. And thanks Mirror Image for the lead on the Piano Transcription Disc, I purchased a download and look forward to digging into this over the next couple of days.

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

Randall

--- End quote ---

Great stuff, Randall. I love all those works. It's difficult for me to find a Stravinsky work that I flat-out despise. I think he always thought about what he was writing and it was quite meticulous in this writing process. You're welcome! You'll have to post some your thoughts here about that solo piano set whenever you get around to hearing some of it. I'll be curious to know your thoughts!

hvbias:

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on May 25, 2022, 03:41:55 PM ---This looks like an interesting new release:

This is a 5-CD set that contains all of Stravinsky's solo piano works including his arrangements for solo piano of various works. This set looks like it's the only one of its kind. Here's a some information about it:

Alexey Zuev has a very special relationship with Stravinsky’s music. From the age of seven, it entered his musical universe like a premonition, when he unknowingly ‘composed’ a piece that bore astonishing similarities to Petrushka. Five years later, he discovered the ‘real’ Stravinsky and his music never left him.

At the current stage of his career, it was an obvious choice for him to embark on this large-scale recording adventure: recording the complete piano works of the composer who has shaped him so much musically. A veritable marathon of recordings was then almost miraculously put in place, despite the complications presented by the pandemic.

The 5 discs that result from this formidable journey contain, among other things, a series of arrangements and transcriptions for piano made by the composer himself that have never been recorded and have even remained completely unknown. This is a significant discovery that sheds new light on this aspect of Stravinsky’s work.

Produced with the support of the Foundation Igor Stravinsky, Stravinsky Family Fund & Kira A. Princess of Prussia Foundation, the boxed set is remarkably illustrated with previously unpublished photographs that immerse the listener in the world of those years of creative experimentation and innovation that made this music what it is today.

--- End quote ---

MI, have you heard this or was the above part of a press blurb? If the part I bolded was your impression I'm more interested in the set. To be honest if there were any small scale Stravinsky gems left hidden I'd prefer if they were chamber music and not solo keyboard :) Oh my god I was obsessively playing early Quartetto Italiano's recording of 3 Pieces for String Quartet when their box came out, such a phenomenal performance.

--- Quote from: Mirror Image on January 01, 2022, 09:23:18 PM ---Wow...there hasn't been a post in Stravinsky's thread since April? :o

Anyway, time to break that trend with a short review I wrote on the Chailly box set:

Title: A Remarkable Box --- All Of Chailly's Stravinsky Under The Same Roof

First, let me say that the people who have complained about this box set's packaging are incredibly nit-picky and really should be grateful that such a box like this exists in the first-place, especially given the reliance of many listeners have on streaming services nowadays and how little importance they place on the physical medium, which I think is a travesty as I'd rather own the physical product any day of week. Why are CDs or LPs so important? Because they give us snapshots into the history a musician's career and allow us to follow their development through time, but also how their views have changed of the composer's music they perform. This is why they're important and will remain important to those of us who value the music. Anyway, stepping off my soapbox...this Stravinsky Chailly box set is absolutely top-notch. For those who missed these performances the first-time around and don't feel like tracking down used copies of original issues then this would be your one-stop shop. I'm not going to talk about individual performances as someone else can do that, but I think this set is absolutely essential for any fan of Stravinsky. BUY IT NOW! What are you waiting for?

--- End quote ---

Big +1 to everything you said. Will play The Rake's Progress later this evening (original US London CD set with the full libretto)

How can anyone complain about that box, it showed us that Chailly likes to rehearse in a velvet track suit  :laugh:

Mirror Image:

--- Quote from: hvbias on May 27, 2022, 04:01:19 PM ---MI, have you heard this or was the above part of a press blurb? If the part I bolded was your impression I'm more interested in the set. To be honest if there were any small scale Stravinsky gems left hidden I'd prefer if they were chamber music and not solo keyboard :) Oh my god I was obsessively playing early Quartetto Italiano's recording of 3 Pieces for String Quartet when their box came out, such a phenomenal performance.

Big +1 to everything you said. Will play The Rake's Progress later this evening (original US London CD set with the full libretto)

How can anyone complain about that box, it showed us that Chailly likes to rehearse in a velvet track suit  :laugh:

--- End quote ---

It was a part of the press blurb. I haven't heard anything from this set nor have I purchased it. Like you, I'd love more chamber work from Stravinsky, but, sadly, that's just not in the cards. He actually didn't compose much solo piano music either --- it should be more like two discs really if we were to omit all of the transcriptions he made, which appear in this new set.

People's complaints about the Stravinsky Chailly box set make zero sense to me. It's just bitching for the sake of it. I realize you can't please everyone, but there's absolutely NOTHING objectionable about the packaging of this set. Whether someone likes/dislikes Chailly's performances is another matter entirely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version