The Music Room > Composer Discussion

Chez Stravinsky

<< < (2/272) > >>

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: Greta on April 09, 2007, 09:45:26 PM ---I'm currently in love with the Violin Concerto (Cho-Liang Lin/Salonen), it's irresistable, right from the jaunty beginning it just enchants you and doesn't let go. Witty, fresh, breezy...divine.

I love that lighter side of Stravinsky and definitely have to explore more!

I'm primarily familiar with his big orchestral work, some of the ballets, Symphony in Three Movements. (A real gem!)

Any "lighter side" recommendations?  :D

--- End quote ---

Hi Greta!

Concerto per due pianoforti (a piece for two pianos, sans orchestra, N.B.)
Mavra (opera buffa in one act, after Pushkin)
Symphonies pour instruments à vent
Concerto for piano and wind instruments

karlhenning:

--- Quote from: Egebedieff on April 10, 2007, 12:29:07 AM ---Also, it is hard to think of his last ballet Agon as light, but there is something of that lightness and transparency of scoring in this harp- and mandolin-infested, occasionally serial, work based on French courtly dances (appropriate for the '50s when Stravinsky had begun to look back at very early music and Schoenberg/Webern [esp sharing Webern's interest in early music]). Detailed complex imitative counterpoint, often with lines overlapping themselves  in a way that hypnotizes me because although you can hear every note, you (and by 'you' I mean 'I') can't take in all at once, I speak in particular of the Gaillarde, in whose thrall I am perpetually.

--- End quote ---

A thoroughly enchantin work, Egbdf!

karlhenning:
That last one is more like Igor Magoo . . . .

karlhenning:
The Mass ain't gettin' no love here.

not edward:

--- Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2007, 10:53:54 AM ---The Mass ain't gettin' no love here.

--- End quote ---
It does with me: I find its crystalline clarity and restraint help make it one of Stravinsky's most personal utterances.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version