Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

lSeems I got here just in time-

can you help me find some of these... what do you recommend?... here is what I was thinking:

1) RENARD- as a stand alone, I was thinking about Chailly (Decca; w/Walton) only because it stands alone. All the others
                     (Salonen, Wolff) have mostly duplicating recitals...

2) BAISER- Knussen looks like a good stand alone here?

3) JEU- Abbado with Pulcinella?

4) PULCINELLA- Abbado? I seem to like this "lush", so, Hogwood seemed to straight-n-clean... anyone else?

I already have SCENES DE BALLET with MTT,... and the DANSES CONCERTANTES with Dutoit,...

In general, how do you feel about Chailly?         Dutoit?          Salonen (the "coolest" of them all?)

Sometimes I want ice, sometimes I want fire...

Karl Henning

I'll bet that Knussen leads the Clevelanders in a lovely Le baiser de la fée.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 27, 2017, 10:40:14 AM
I'll bet that Knussen leads the Clevelanders in a lovely Le baiser de la fée.

Oh, it's lovely indeed, Karl. One of the best I've heard actually. Yet another reason to look into that Complete DG set. ;)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2017, 10:43:16 AM
Oh, it's lovely indeed, Karl. One of the best I've heard actually. Yet another reason to look into that Complete DG set. ;)

Well, I was deciding that between the Boulez/Stravinsky 6-CD box, the Knussen Flood/Abraham & Isaac/Requiem Canticles (the box doesn't include the Wuorinen Reliquary as a historical extra, does it?), the Abbado Pulcinella &c. that perhaps there was too much duplication  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 27, 2017, 10:49:53 AM
Well, I was deciding that between the Boulez/Stravinsky 6-CD box, the Knussen Flood/Abraham & Isaac/Requiem Canticles (the box doesn't include the Wuorinen Reliquary as a historical extra, does it?), the Abbado Pulcinella &c. that perhaps there was too much duplication  0:)

A clear-headed reasoning for not needing the box for sure. To answer your question, no, that Wuorinen work is not in the Stravinsky set.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2017, 10:43:16 AM
+1. Knussen is excellent in  Le Baiser de la fée, and his CD of late Stravinsky works  (also on DG) is an extraordinary achievement.

As for Pulcinella, Abbado's recording ranks among the very best I am acquainted with (I am a bit biased, I admit, as I first got to know the work through it ). And Teresa Berganza is to die for in the mezzo part. Robert Craft on Naxos is also excellent IMHO.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2017, 10:56:47 AM
A clear-headed reasoning for not needing the box for sure. To answer your question, no, that Wuorinen work is not in the Stravinsky set.

A pity!  The Wuorinen Reliquary is a beautiful, striking piece.  And who knows if anyone other than Knussen will record it . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on February 27, 2017, 10:58:08 AM
+1. Knussen is excellent in  Le Baiser de la fée, and his CD of late Stravinsky works  (also on DG) is an extraordinary achievement.

As for  Pulcinella, Abbado's recording ranks among the very best I am acquainted with (I am a bit based,  I admit,  as I first got to know the work through it ). And  Teresa Berganza is to die for in the mezxo part. Robert Craft on Naxos is also excellent IMHO.

Indeed. I'll add that Boulez's recording of Pulcinella on Erato with the Ensemble Intercontemporain and vocalists Ann Murray, Anthony Rolfe-Johnson, and Simon Estes is nothing to scoff at either. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2017, 11:02:52 AM
Indeed. I'll add that Boulez's recording of Pulcinella on Erato with the Ensemble Intercontemporain and vocalists Ann Murray, Anthony Rolfe-Johnson, and Simon Estes is nothing to scoff at either. :)

Well, and I must have that in this box here:

[asin]B00QFVL1PG[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 27, 2017, 11:06:02 AM
Well, and I must have that in this box here:

[asin]B00QFVL1PG[/asin]

Yep, it's in there along with Le Chant du Rossignol, Le Rossignol, L'Histoire du soldat, and several miniature goodies.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2017, 11:02:52 AM
Now there I disagree. Being a diehard Boulez fan (no news there  ;)), I've never warmed to that recording, which I find heavy-handed and lacking in airiness and humor. Boulez's later CSO live recording is vastly superior IMHO.

Regards,

Karl Henning

Pulcinella makes for an interesting exception in my listening philosophy.  As a general rule, I am all for the original, complete ballets rather than the suite—I apply this nearly with strictness to Жар-птица and Le baiser de la fée, e.g..

With Pulcinella, it is not that I prefer the suite, but that I feel that the suite does serve a good purpose, as a version of the piece performable without voices.  In a way, I guess it is similar to my enjoying the Поручик Киже suite, whether with voices or without.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

Well, since we're listing Pulcinella recordings now, I rather like this with Chailly..

[asin]B00000424Q[/asin]
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on February 27, 2017, 11:12:06 AM
Now there I disagree. Being a diehard Boulez fan  (no news there  ;)), I've never warmed to that recording,  which I find heavy-handed and lacking in airiness and humor. Boulez's later CSO live recording is vastly superior IMHO.

Regards,

Yes, I did detect a heaviness in the Boulez-led undertaking on Erato, but I still enjoyed it for the fact that it doesn't sound like many other performances I've heard  and I think Pulcinella benefits from different kinds of interpretations in general. It's interesting you mention humor, because I have never found humor in any Boulez's performances, but that's just me. I do find Craft's Pulcinella to be excellent as well (and Abbado's for that matter). Honestly, I never heard a bad performance of the complete ballet. I like all that I've heard.

Mirror Image

Quote from: North Star on February 27, 2017, 11:14:49 AM
Well, since we're listing Pulcinella recordings now, I rather like this with Chailly..

[asin]B00000424Q[/asin]

Yep, that's a good one, too, Karlo. 8) Like I said, I've never heard a bad recording of it. I'm not being very discriminating here, but it's the truth. Must be something wrong with my ears. ;)

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on February 27, 2017, 11:12:40 AM
Pulcinella makes for an interesting exception in my listening philosophy.  As a general rule, I am all for the original, complete ballets rather than the suite—I apply this nearly with strictness to Жар-птица and Le baiser de la fée, e.g..

With Pulcinella, it is not that I prefer the suite, but that I feel that the suite does serve a good purpose, as a version of the piece performable without voices.  In a way, I guess it is similar to my enjoying the Поручик Киже suite, whether with voices or without.

I love both versions. It doesn't matter which one I hear.

ritter

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2017, 11:17:14 AM
Honestly, I never heard a bad performance of the complete ballet. I like all that I've heard.
That might change once you've listened to the composer's first, mono recording with the Clevelanders (which you have in the big Sony box you bought recently). A  very sloppy affair,  I'm afraid.  ::)

Mirror Image

Quote from: ritter on February 27, 2017, 11:25:26 AM
That might change once you've listened to the composr's first, mono recording with the Clevelanders (which you have in the big Sony box you bought recently ) A  very sloppy affair,  I'm afraid.  ::)

I'll be sure to skip that one, then. ;) I don't like mono recordings anyway, so that alone strikes it off my list.

Mirror Image

Upon revisitation of Cantata, I asked myself "Where has this music been all of my life?" It was then that answered myself, in truly psychopathic fashion, "In your storage boxes, silly." ;D

snyprrr

Quote from: North Star on February 27, 2017, 11:14:49 AM

[asin]B00000424Q[/asin]

One of my aims here was to avoid any issues that coupled with TheBig3,... or that otherwise were just maddeningly duplicitous. The Salonen disc with Pulcie,Renard,Octet, and Ragtime and the Wolff disc with Pulcie,Renard,2Suites, and Ragtime,... you know? Therefore, and here's one for you all to think about, h- how is Alun Francis on Arte Nova in Jeu/Baiser?

Anyhow, it seems you all have confirmed my inquiries- yea, it's interesting how these "best choices" present themselves and we all agree. I love when a plan comes together! 8)