Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 28, 2017, 06:47:32 PM
What's your favorite "era" of Stravinsky Snyprrr?  :)

You didn't ask me and this may be a complete cop-out, but I love all of Stravinsky's stylistic periods.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Draško on February 27, 2017, 03:48:20 PM

Reuss has been my long time favorite for vibrancy, crispness, precision, clarity, recording quality ...
Eotvos is still I believe the only recording of the 1917 version for full orchestra.
You could also get Rex Lawson on pianola, Stravinsky's transcription.

Of other recordings of standard version that I've heard Stravinsky's own is not that well played nor recorded, Craft's second (Naxos) is ok but not particularly memorable, Ancerl is very good but the recording shows a bit of age, Gergiev is manic, Currentzis I have but haven't listened to yet.

I'd LOVE to own that Eotvos recording of both versions of Les noces. It's curious that Hungaroton has never bothered reissuing it. :-\

Drasko

Quote from: snyprrr on February 28, 2017, 06:28:08 PM
Concerto in D

Let's see, who else of note?...

It's a well known fact the best Concertos in D come from Switzerland.

Hogwood in Basel re-creates 1947 concert where all three pieces were premiered. An absolute must:

[asin]B0007PLKSY[/asin]
... also composer himself, live in Lugano. My judgement on this one may be slightly clouded since it was the first Stravinsky CD I ever bought.

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on February 28, 2017, 06:32:17 PM
Violin Concerto

I don't think I've ever ventured beyond that classic Mutter disc. I'd be really interested in some perhaps oddball or just outstanding recommends- Mutter&Co. are pretty glossy (are they?), not saying it's bad- doesn't leave me wanting, but it does make me wonder of others' approaches.

Scheiderhan/Ančerl
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

Quote from: Thatfabulousalien on February 28, 2017, 06:47:32 PM
What's your favorite "era" of Stravinsky Snyprrr?  :)

icy coolness?

Cato

Yes!  A day or two ago I found myself following a car here (i.e. in the center of Ohio) with the license plate:

THRENI  8) 8) 8)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on February 28, 2017, 06:32:17 PM
Violin Concerto

I don't think I've ever ventured beyond that classic Mutter disc. I'd be really interested in some perhaps oddball or just outstanding recommends- Mutter&Co. are pretty glossy (are they?), not saying it's bad- doesn't leave me wanting, but it does make me wonder of others' approaches.

Hahn/Marriner get the nod from me, but I've never heard a bad performance of the VC except for Isaac Stern/Stravinsky, but that's because I never have cared for Stern's screechy playing. Completely devoid of warmth and his violin tone is like nails on a chalkboard.

PerfectWagnerite

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 01, 2017, 06:49:28 PM
Hahn/Marriner get the nod from me,
Its ok. IF not for the Brahms coupling I would not have bought that disc. I for one do not get Igor's VC, maybe in due time.

Mahlerian

Hahn/Marriner get the nod from me, but I've never heard a bad performance of the VC except for Isaac Stern/Stravinsky, but that's because I never have cared for Stern's screechy playing. Completely devoid of warmth and his violin tone is like nails on a chalkboard.

Stravinsky should have recorded it with someone who cared about the piece more.  Stern never played it in concert before or after those recording sessions.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Scion7

Isaac Stern is one of the great violin masters.
Another trip to the woodshed for M.I. !

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Mirror Image

Quote from: PerfectWagnerite on March 01, 2017, 06:56:11 PM
Its ok. IF not for the Brahms coupling I would not have bought that disc. I for one do not get Igor's VC, maybe in due time.

Well, I do get Stravinsky's VC and love every minute of it. Hahn's performance is exemplary.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 01, 2017, 08:15:18 PM
Stravinsky should have recorded it with someone who cared about the piece more.  Stern never played it in concert before or after those recording sessions.

Indeed. If only. :-\

Mirror Image

Quote from: Scion7 on March 01, 2017, 08:29:08 PM
Isaac Stern is one of the great violin masters.
Another trip to the woodshed for M.I. !

This doesn't mean I have to like or enjoy his playing, which I never have, so there.

amw

Mullova/Salonen remains the only performance I've heard that makes sense of the piece to me. Kopatchinskaja/Jurowski is also not bad but can't really escape fluffiness.

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on March 01, 2017, 08:36:08 PM
Mullova/Salonen remains the only performance I've heard that makes sense of the piece to me. Kopatchinskaja/Jurowski is also not bad but can't really escape fluffiness.

Stravinsky's VC does contain profundity. Whether or not you can't pick up on it, isn't the composer's fault.

amw

Nope. But performers often don't really try to bring it out, or don't succeed in doing so (imo).

Mirror Image

Quote from: amw on March 01, 2017, 08:56:22 PM
Nope. But performers often don't really try to bring it out, or don't succeed in doing so (imo).

Yep, certainly your opinion.

snyprrr

Karl recommended Schneiderham- nice enough- and then I went a seasrching:

1) Perlman- oy vey, you think Stern is screechy?????? I was laughing out loud 20 secs. into it with IP. Oy, what horrible playing- I wonder if he thought he was adding some jew flavor or something- it sounds like Topol on acid!!!!!

2) Couldn't find Mullova, but how can she not be good?

3) Vengerov- couldn't hear, but I imagine he really bites into it??!!!>??

4) HAHN- well, wow- hey, I was all set to roll my eyes, but Marriner and Hahn are fast as shit and really dig into it. I'm no Sonicman when it comes to Hahn, but I had to give it to her here.

5) Mordkovitch??- samples sounded nice...

6) ???

There was more recordings than I thought......

Mutter is kinda "perfect"... I do want so "scratch", but not like I heard in Perlman!!

Karl Henning

It is decades since I listened to this, and I should revisit it . . . the Sarge (among others) bespeaks the Prokofiev:

[asin]B0000041V4[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

snyprrr

How do like Jarvi in Igor? Specifically- I heard the samples of the two Symphonies, and a few others from the set that sounded really really good (only samples though)- '...Psalms'?... I dunno, he's got an interesting selection of stuff...

And then there's Alexander Gibson... very clean sounding readings of the Symphonies...