Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter

Quote from: Draško on March 05, 2017, 10:20:59 AM
That's good, finally on CD. For those who might want a single CD rather than 56 CD box, there is a relatively recent French recording of 1923 plus 1919 fragment, a shortish CD which I haven't heard:

[asin]B00699QPNM[/asin]
That is a very interesting CD, particularly because it offers a rather different and fresh approach of the standard, definitive 1923 version..one I find less folksy and more urbane...interesting, I repeat.  :)

Drasko

Quote from: ritter on March 05, 2017, 10:27:04 AM
That is a very interesting CD, particularly because it offers a rather different and fresh approach of the standard, definitive 1923 version..one I find less folksy and more urbane...interesting, I repeat.  :)

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind. I'd quite like to hear that kind of performance, even if not completely successful.

I was always thinking Boulez would go for that approach but that recording has proven bit difficult to find at reasonable price.

snyprrr

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 05, 2017, 09:17:44 AM
One fabulous disc!

Seriously having problems with yer boy Charlie W's piece, though. Had to turn it off twice already...I was sure I would like it, but from the get-go I'm like, What is this _____? Sooooo busy... after all this sparse and spare Igor, Charlie's piece comes off as "trying to please"... who?, I dunno...

maybe I'll make it through it on a rainy day??

snyprrr

Le Chant du Rossignol (1917)

I didn't know Igor had written a 'Miraculous Mandarin' too?!?! Seems this work is an anomaly... an actual TonePoem... anyhow, I like the Digital recordings by Chailly and Dutoit. Chailly's is a little more diamond edged bright, whereas Dutoit has "frosting"... I'm leaning towards Dutoit just because of the smoothness...

what say ye?

ANY VERSION has to have that correct "ticking" rhythm... which I found lacking in Boulez/DG... but found in Chailly and Dutoit...

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on March 06, 2017, 11:39:50 AM
Le Chant du Rossignol (1917)

I didn't know Igor had written a 'Miraculous Mandarin' too?!?! Seems this work is an anomaly... an actual TonePoem... anyhow, I like the Digital recordings by Chailly and Dutoit. Chailly's is a little more diamond edged bright, whereas Dutoit has "frosting"... I'm leaning towards Dutoit just because of the smoothness...

what say ye?

ANY VERSION has to have that correct "ticking" rhythm... which I found lacking in Boulez/DG... but found in Chailly and Dutoit...

Check out Boulez's with the Orchestre de France on Erato. One of my favorite performances of the work.

kishnevi

Making my way through the Columbia Iggie Fyvich conducts Iggie Fyvich set. Tonight it was the "little" operas: Le Rossignol and Mavra. I have to say that Igor Fyodorovich does a rather good job of presenting his own works. The sonics sometimes suffer, but even a well known thing like the Firebird Suite comes out well, compared to big modern conductors.

snyprrr

Colin Davis

I have been smelling what Davis had cooked, and there does seem to be quite a bit of interest going on here. The early 'Oedipus' on EMI, I believe an album of concertos (?), and, most recently discovered last night, the two big Symphonies on Philips. These are especially vibrant readings as compared with Boulez, Solti, and Dutoit.

Mata

Rumors of an incredible 'Symphony in 3 Movements'

Maazel

I said YES to his 'Symphony of Psalms' and ...'3 Mvmts' on RCA. C'mon guys, how can't you like this, as compared to, say, Boulez/DG?

Bernstein '...3 Mvmts' was just a touch too fast and hairy...IPO/DG...

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 05, 2017, 09:17:44 AM
One fabulous disc!

I read your review of Boulez Symphonies/DG.... nice... must have been written before your OneWordPhase :laugh: ... glad you gave it one for...

HOWEVER

That IS the best 'Symphonies of Wind Instruments' EVER... why no one else??.... I mean, who else uses the original version??????

snyprrr

Quote from: snyprrr on March 07, 2017, 04:42:29 AM
Colin Davis

I have been smelling what Davis had cooked, and there does seem to be quite a bit of interest going on here. The early 'Oedipus' on EMI, I believe an album of concertos (?), and, most recently discovered last night, the two big Symphonies on Philips. These are especially vibrant readings as compared with Boulez, Solti, and Dutoit.

ok, I've hit my first Indiana Jones moment...

I see the London SO recording of the two Symphonies that I enjoyed so much is on that Philips 2CD Compilation, w/ Markevitch.... and then I see the Philips CD of the two Symphonies with the Bavarian Radio SO...

OK, so, Davis had an Igor career on LP (I'm assuming the LSO Symphonies are early 70s?), and then redid most all of it in the CD era? I see a LSO 'Le Sacre', and also a Concertgebouw.

So, has anyone compared the LSO Symphonies with the BRSO? The former is on YT; the latter I heard samples of on the Davis Decca/Philips Box. Am I correct that the BRSO versions is not at all what the LSO are?

SEE HOW PEOPLE GO NUTTY ON SILLY HOBBIES LIKE THIS???!!!!!!! (of course, not me!!)

I didn't want to introduce the Symphonies into our current Thread Discussion yet,... mice and men...

snyprrr

Quote from: Jo498 on March 05, 2017, 06:33:25 AM
This can be had for 12 EUR "used - very good" at amazon.de, but the shipping will probably be expensive if they ship to the US at all...

A lot of this "20th century classics" DG series is worth getting but unfortunately while some can be found cheaply other have been long out of print or are very expensive.

I thought that reissue, with "Debussy Ravel Stravinsky" only had one of the IS works,... and it does, but, it's the one (Sonata) I don't have, so, yay, saved another $15!! The incredibly well filled 'Chamber Works & Rarities' (Decca2CD) has Askenazy & Gavrilov's Concerto for 2 Pianos.

i WOULD HAVE LOVED TO HAVE HEARD iGOR'S '10 pIECES FOR pIANO (sorry)

snyprrr

Le Baiser de la Fee

Divertimento

As much as I want to be the PerfectConsumerist, I just don't think I can sit through 50mins. of faux-Tchaikovsky, frankly somewhat boring ballet music,... sorry,...

Do any of you sit around basking in this score more often than once a year? I mean, it's long, and you have to admit that it is pretty old fashioned, semi-snoozy type music,... no? Really? This is SOOOO exciting that you will fight over it?

I just don't believe it.

I can hear Karl telling me how great it is, but I still wouldn't believe that he breaks out the Knussen on a weekly, or monthly, basis. What am I missing here that I am about ready to dismiss this work from serious consideration (maybe it's that I'd have to spend HARD EARNED MONIES on faux-Tchaikovsky/Stravinsky Ballet Music... I mean, I ALREADY know what it is... I've been sampling YT all morning... I just can't get it up for this...

drugs aren't helping :(

btw- is Knussen THAT much better than Atherton?

Don't get me wrong- I enjoy my boring Igor as much as anyone,... but 50mins. of this stuff might make me angry... I can't afford that... what do I do??

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: snyprrr on March 09, 2017, 06:57:02 AMwhat do I do??

Easy: forget the complete ballet and just buy the Divertimento.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Mirror Image

I'm not about to argue the case for Le baiser de la fée, but all I can say is I enjoy the work and don't find it 'boring' at all.

Karl Henning

Quote from: snyprrr on March 09, 2017, 06:57:02 AM
Le Baiser de la Fee

[ snip ]

I can hear Karl telling me how great it is, but I still wouldn't believe that he breaks out the Knussen on a weekly, or monthly, basis.

[ snip ]

It is technically true that I have not listened to Le Baiser de la fée on a weekly, or even a monthly, basis;  from that standpoint, your disbelief is vindicated.  But that is an accident of my schedule and listening habits, not any reflection on the piece.

So I state my surety that I can listen to the complete ballet, at least once weekly;  and to that end, I do undertake to fulfill that requirement, beginning today.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mahlerian

Quote from: snyprrr on March 09, 2017, 06:57:02 AM
Le Baiser de la Fee

As much as I want to be the PerfectConsumerist, I just don't think I can sit through 50mins. of faux-Tchaikovsky, frankly somewhat boring ballet music,... sorry,...

It's not faux-Tchaikovsky, it's actual Tchaikovsky run through the Igorizer a few times, and as someone who enjoys both Romantic and Modern music, the score is a delight.  It's lean and energetic and just slightly sentimental.  What is there to dislike?
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 09, 2017, 07:38:52 AM
...all I can say is I enjoy the work and don't find it 'boring' at all.

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 09, 2017, 08:32:29 AM
So I state my surety that I can listen to the complete ballet, at least once weekly

Quote from: Mahlerian on March 09, 2017, 08:53:14 AM
the score is a delight.  It's lean and energetic and just slightly sentimental.  What is there to dislike?

I agree with you three gentlemen. snyprrr is, of course, completely bonkers  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

cilgwyn

A question! What recording would you recommend above all others to someone who doesn't have Les Noces in their collection,and has never even heard it? I have looked at lots of reviews,on more than one occasion,on various sites,but there seem to be so many differnt opinions on this work,and editions,I think?! ::) :-\

kishnevi

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 09, 2017, 09:14:19 AM
A question! What recording would you recommend above all others to someone who doesn't have Les Noces in their collection,and has never even heard it? I have looked at lots of reviews,on more than one occasion,on various sites,but there seem to be so many differnt opinions on this work,and editions,I think?! ::) :-\

Audio only:  I would suggest Bernstein.

But at some point you should see this
[asin]B0000714CM[/asin]

Where it is danced in Nijinska's choreography.  And contains a bonus with members of the original Nijinska production talking about how horrible and humorous it was to work under her.

snyprrr

Quote from: cilgwyn on March 09, 2017, 09:14:19 AM

Someone above indicated the Reuss on HarmoniaMundi.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 09, 2017, 08:58:38 AM
I agree with you three gentlemen. snyprrr is, of course, completely bonkers  ;D

Sarge

HA!! I was just testing you all to see if I could weed out any Unbelievers in the Thread ;) carry on :P

snyprrr

There's no way I can get around the Boulez Box DG... for the last two discs... biting the bullet on this one... can I get it SUPER Cheap?? $23 is the lowest I see (incl sh)

I CAN SEE THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL!! 0:)

Now it's just a matter of $$$ $$$ $$$

:'( :'( :'(

snyprrr

Music for Piano and Orchestra

Entremont/Rosen CBS/SONY
Beroff EMI

Crossley SONY
Mustonen Decca

Bavouzet Hyperion
Donohoe Chandos
Gorlatch SONY

I just realized that Salonen/SONY is a shade muffled compared to the first two, which have their own recording issues. The Ashkenazy/Decca set with Mustonen boasts much clearer sound, but newcomer Alexei Gorlatch/SONY seems he might have the best sound of all. I can only hear samples, does anyone have the scoop on this 2015 release?

He neglects the 'Movements', but adds the early Sonata for Piano. The sound for the solo piano work is pretty crisp and clean, I sure hope someone's got the skinny...