Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Found this pretty amazing video on Youtube of a student orchestra/pianist giving a fantastic performance of a difficult work.

ChamberNut

karlhenning

karlhenning

Ray . . . have you hit the Symphonies of Wind Instruments yet, have you, have you?

ChamberNut

OK, so I'm still relatively new when it comes to Stravinsky.

These are the works I have heard so far:

The Rite of Spring
Violin Concerto
Symphony in C
Symphony in Three Movements
Symphony of Psalms
The Firebird
Jeu de Cartes
Petrouchka
The Nightingale

With the exception of me being lukewarm on "The Nightingale" opera, everything else I've like a lot to really, really, really loved!  :)

Obviously, there is way more to discover, and I'm quite excited.  0:)

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2009, 09:33:13 AM
Ray . . . have you hit the Symphonies of Wind Instruments yet, have you, have you?

Not yet cher ami.  :)

karlhenning

I get chills just thinking of the Symphony of Psalms.

ChamberNut

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 15, 2009, 09:35:46 AM
I get chills just thinking of the Symphony of Psalms.

Yes, I love this one.  So far, from the symphonies, the Symphony in C is my current favorite.  Perhaps once I hear the Winds one, that could change?

springrite

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 15, 2009, 09:37:26 AM
Yes, I love this one.  So far, from the symphonies, the Symphony in C is my current favorite.  Perhaps once I hear the Winds one, that could change?

I can just smell the Wind of Change in the air...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

ChamberNut

All of a sudden, that big box 'o Stravinsky that Karl and James rave about is looking mighty tantalizing.  And the price is right too for all that music.  :)

bhodges

So many great Stravinsky works...

Do check out the Concerto in E-Flat, "Dumbarton Oaks," one of his neo-classic gems, and one of my faves, Le Baiser de la fée (The Fairy's Kiss), a ballet with themes from Tchaikovsky.

--Bruce

ChamberNut

Quote from: bhodges on September 15, 2009, 10:09:43 AM

Do check out the Concerto in E-Flat, "Dumbarton Oaks," one of his neo-classic gems, and one of my faves, Le Baiser de la fée (The Fairy's Kiss), a ballet with themes from Tchaikovsky.

--Bruce

Ballet & Tchaikovsky = 99.9999% certainty that I will enjoy it!  ;D

Thank you for those recommendations.  I'll be on the lookout.  :)

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: bhodges on September 15, 2009, 10:09:43 AM

--Bruce

Mine, too! Even though it is to incur the eternal wrath of Richard Taruskin, who finds the whole work lamentable in its backwardlooking-ness. Well, I find it one of Stravinsky's most atmospheric scores, with a Coda that is among his most moving.
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

bhodges

Quote from: Jezetha on September 15, 2009, 10:29:16 AM
Mine, too! Even though it is to incur the eternal wrath of Richard Taruskin, who finds the whole work lamentable in its backwardlooking-ness. Well, I find it one of Stravinsky's most atmospheric scores, with a Coda that is among his most moving.

Well, one man's "backwardlooking-ness" is another's sweet nostalgia (or something like that  ;)).  I find Baiser an elegant work, and its use of Tchaikovsky very graceful. 

Also, Stravinsky adapted it in a version for violin and piano, the Divertimento, and IMHO it works just as well in this format.

--Bruce

Franco

QuoteRichard Taruskin, who finds the whole work lamentable in its backwardlooking-ness.

It always tends to bother me when the parasite complains about the taste of his host.

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Franco on September 15, 2009, 10:58:57 AM
It always tends to bother me when the parasite complains about the taste of his host.

I think Taruskin would like the elegance of your put-down...  ;)
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

ChamberNut

Quote from: Drasko on May 15, 2007, 10:06:21 AM

It seems Sony 22 CD Stravinsky Edition is finally due for reappearance. So far only jpc is listing it for pre-order and the price looks right.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/7985870/rk/classic/rsk/novelties

How complete is this set?  Mighty tempting.

karlhenning

As near complete as dammit.  The only things I can think of offhand which it lacks, are very minor and/or offshoot-ly items (The Mushrooms Go to War . . . Canon on a Russian folksong . . . e.g.)

Dive right in, Ray!

Franco

It is well worth the investment - one of the best big box sets I've ever bought.

Guido

The only piece it is missing which has any importance is the three pieces for string quartet, but they're easily obtainable elsewhere. It's one of the best things you could ever spend £17.99 on.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away