Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChamberNut

Any liner notes included with this box set?  Not that big of a deal, just curious.

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 16, 2009, 09:18:33 AM
Any liner notes included with this box set?  Not that big of a deal, just curious.

22-pp booklet, performer info on all the works. 

ChamberNut

Thanks Karl.  I believe I shall order it (have it shipped at work).  ;D

karlhenning

And, of course, Ray, you'll want a better Agon than the "Los Angeles Festival Symphony Orchestra"  0:)

karlhenning

Franco

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 16, 2009, 11:17:53 AM
And, of course, Ray, you'll want a better Agon than the "Los Angeles Festival Symphony Orchestra"  0:)

Yes, you keep complaining about this recording - but have yet to fully explain your problem other than a vague mention of mistakes.  I just purchased the score and would be interested in a discussion of it (it is one of my favorite Stravinsky compositions).

A GMG Agon critical listening party anyone?

karlhenning

Quote from: Franco on September 16, 2009, 11:35:36 AM
Yes, you keep complaining about this recording - but have yet to fully explain your problem other than a vague mention of mistakes.

Yes, but I may have mentioned that I am playing a recital tomorrow  $:) 0:)

. . . I just purchased the score and would be interested in a discussion of it (it is one of my favorite Stravinsky compositions).

Sure.

ChamberNut

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 16, 2009, 09:34:24 AM
Thanks Karl.  I believe I shall order it (have it shipped at work).  ;D

Less than $2.50 CDN a disc.  Can't wait!  Should arrive next week.  :)

karlhenning

ChamberNut

Now, the most difficult decision will be:  What the hell do I listen to first?  I'll either just start the boring way...with Disc 1 all the way to 22, or do random disc selections and leave it to chance. 0:)

ChamberNut

Quote from: ' on September 17, 2009, 05:05:53 AM
Or you could try to answer my question that everyone ignored:

What do these pieces have in common?

Violin Concerto
Renard
Cantata
Card Party

'

Perhaps I can attempt an answer once I've heard the Renard and Cantata pieces.  ;D

Guido

Quote from: ' on September 17, 2009, 05:05:53 AM
What a un-Hobson-like choice this is; no way to go wrong.  I find myself listening to periods and places, esp. in the transitions. Like the stuff toward the end of the Diaghilev period, the odd and ends he put out at the same time comprise a wild spectrum, the musical offspring of a sort of wandering musical promiscuity: huge ballets, peasant songs, short-lived dabblings with pianola and parlor piano and cimbaloms, often tinged with a Russianness that sometimes seems like marketing and sometimes seems like homesickness.

Or the smaller scale exploratory things and rewrites after the move to LA.

Don't know the answer to your question sorry. Could you be specific about some of the pieces you're talking about above?

I loved both of your stories above by the way - the violin concerto one and the concerto for two pianos one (what a marvellous piece that and the double piano sonata are!!)
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Franco

I think you should start with the Ballets Vol. II set.  It is the second group of three disks.

Guido

Cheers - I'll have a go with them.

Good addendum and I wish you all the best with your meeting.

Quoteesp. if he brings up Carmina Burana or the question of whether music IS a language

Now you've piqued my interest again!
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Love, love, love that Concerto for two pianos.  Heard it first in a class where we were analyzing it.

karlhenning

I do think this a lovely idea, Franco;  I'll start a specific thread . . . .

karlhenning

karlhenning

Quote from: James on September 17, 2009, 07:44:54 AM
I know...in any event that recording alone was enough for me to totally fall in love with that piece, and take my appreciation of the composer to a whole new level!

That's okay;  even a lesser recording (and in all events, this recording does benefit from the composer's presence) is sufficient to inspire love for a great music.  I have no quarrel with that.

Franco

Quote from: James on September 17, 2009, 07:44:54 AM
I know...in any event that recording alone was enough for me to totally fall in love with that piece, and take my appreciation of the composer to a whole new level!

I hope you join the listening thread - the more the merrier.

karlhenning