Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franco

Quote from: James on September 17, 2009, 08:03:19 AM
Of course it's ok, and I'm not alone in liking that recording either.

Right, right - if you join the listening thread you might find out (I know this is what I'm hoping to do)  just why people do criticize this performance.  Karl is certainly not the only one I've heard make this remark.

Franco

Quote from: James on September 17, 2009, 08:24:44 AM
Franco, I'm already familar with the piece though so I have no need for that, I'm consumed with Wagner at the moment and plan on focusing on him for quite awhile.

Be careful.   People have been known to enter that jungle never to be seen again.

ChamberNut

',

I can't read the small print?   ;D

karlhenning

Of course, the Ragtime for Eleven Instruments is just good, clean fun.

Guido

I was more meaning the Carmina Burana reference.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

I've meant to ask: Are you the crux of the biscuit?

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 17, 2009, 09:18:36 AM
Of course, the Ragtime for Eleven Instruments is just good, clean fun.

Heck yeah dude. 8)

karlhenning

Quote from: ' on September 17, 2009, 09:41:52 AM
I thought it was you who already had. I got a lot of teasing in elementary school.'

Probably. My memory won't be what it is.

DavidW

I have that as well James, it's awesome I love it. :)

ChamberNut

Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock.......

As Ray stares unflinchingly at his mailbox

karlhenning

Quote from: ' on September 22, 2009, 05:58:44 PM
Was I hearing Leroy Anderson in the background of your post?
'

You evil man punctuation!

ChamberNut

The Stravinsky set has arrived!  Won't have time to listen until tomorrow at work.

Did a quick inspection of the discs. Disc 4, 6 and 22 have a very minor scuff/scratch.  Those will be the ones I test out first, to ensure they are playable (I'd say they are).  It was only packaged in one layer of brown paper  :o, so I'm really glad the set was not dented or damaged during transport.  Yikes.  >:(

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 23, 2009, 02:17:35 PM
The Stravinsky set has arrived!  Won't have time to listen until tomorrow at work.

Did a quick inspection of the discs. Disc 4, 6 and 22 have a very minor scuff/scratch.  Those will be the ones I test out first, to ensure they are playable (I'd say they are).  It was only packaged in one layer of brown paper  :o, so I'm really glad the set was not dented or damaged during transport.  Yikes.  >:(

You should consider leaving negative feedback so that other buyers may be made aware of how poor the seller packages his shipments. :-\

ChamberNut

Quote from: DavidW on September 23, 2009, 05:11:02 PM
You should consider leaving negative feedback so that other buyers may be made aware of how poor the seller packages his shipments. :-\

David, what would you give as a rating?  Since the product did arrive without exterior damage (although it could have easily been).  3 or 4 out of 5?

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 23, 2009, 02:17:35 PM
The Stravinsky set has arrived!

Huzzah!

Quote from: ChamberNutWon't have time to listen until tomorrow at work.

One of those curious times when one can hardly wait to get back to work  ;D

karlhenning

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 24, 2009, 04:32:54 AM
David, what would you give as a rating?  Since the product did arrive without exterior damage (although it could have easily been).  3 or 4 out of 5?

Try contacting the seller first, perhaps they will suggest a remedy.

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on September 24, 2009, 04:32:54 AM

3 suggests a warning but not pissed off.  Besides many people don't read anything rated high or low because there are too many extremists out there! :D

DavidW

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on September 24, 2009, 04:51:08 AM
Try contacting the seller first, perhaps they will suggest a remedy.

But the point is to warn other customers.  On one hand you might take customers away from the buyer, but on the other you are saving potential customers the grief of receiving items poorly packaged.  It's not as if the seller is an ignorant fool, any adult would know that packaging is not up to par.

ChamberNut

Question:  Why would Stravinsky compose suites for some of his ballets, when most of his ballets are already very short (around 30 minutes)?

I can see the value for some of the long ballets like Romeo & Juliet or Swan Lake, etc.  But.....for Petrushka?  Firebird?  They are already so short.  ???

Not knocking it, just found it a bit puzzling.  Unless of course......the suites came first.

DavidW

Chambernut, a ballet is both music and dancing right?  The suite is just the music.  Doesn't matter if the ballet is short or not, a ballet is for performance by orchestra+ballet company, the suite is for performance by orchestra only. :)