Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Geo Dude on August 01, 2013, 05:34:11 AM
Any recommendations for a good recording of his violin concerto?  A recording that pairs it with another of the works from his neo-classical period would be particularly nice.

Definitely can't go wrong with Chung/Previn, Hahn/Marriner, or Lin/Salonen. These are my top recommendations.

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 01, 2013, 06:50:51 PM
Definitely can't go wrong with Chung/Previn, Hahn/Marriner, or Lin/Salonen. These are my top recommendations.

What about Mutter (with Lutoslawski)?

Karl Henning

Two of my favorites from that middle period are Pulcinella (complete, with the singers, i.e.) and Le baiser de la fée (again, I prefer it complete):

[asin]B000CEVU4E[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on August 01, 2013, 10:03:33 PM
What about Mutter (with Lutoslawski)?

Very good performance indeed. I can't list every performance I've heard of Stravinsky's VC but rather I narrowed down my choices to two favorites, which I did above.

Geo Dude

Some of you have probably already seen this, but here is an excellent interview with Stravinsky.

DaveF

This is rather good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtrCvdH_Alk

Only a shame there wasn't a bit of variation in camera angles.
"All the world is birthday cake" - George Harrison

xochitl

my, thats is pretty amazing

amw

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on August 01, 2013, 11:41:56 AM
[asin]B000024MOM[/asin]

Old post, but I love this recording, incidentally. I think the Bartók concerto was what I listened to first; it starts with one of the great solo entrances in the literature, two bars of quiet B major chords from the harp, lower strings entering with the bass line sotto voce, then the violin coming in fortissimo with a wide-ranging and passionate melody, bringing with it an opening-out of orchestral scope with individual notes being picked up and sustained by horns and clarinets. Within about two seconds of Mullova's entrance I was like "damn, this girl is good"; my admiration continued to increase over the course of the piece, including some of the most beautiful sounds I'd ever heard from the A string and some quite tasteful quarter tones where appropriate. Part of that was Bartók—it was my first exposure to the piece, and Bartók is pretty much the greatest composer ever—but the Stravinsky, which I'd previously thought of as pleasant, superficial and mannered, made me much more receptive to the piece. Mullova delivers a coolly mysterious Aria I, a poignant Aria II and a Capriccio whose frivolous neoclassicisms start to seem almost desperate, as though it's teetering on the edge of something much more menacing that's just pulled back at the last minute (foretastes of the Symphony in C and Jeu de cartes). I'd recommend it over the only other recording of the Stravinsky I have which is Mutter's (although that may be worth it for hardcore Dutilleux fans).

Anyway... Stravinsky. Most of the "neoclassical period" stuff I like is somewhat atypical—the Symphony already mentioned, Orpheus (which I've been fortunate enough to see live at the NYCB), some of The Rake's Progress. I suppose in general the Craft recordings are the ones to have but I've not heard enough of the alternatives.

Karl Henning

Orpheus is a beauty, no question.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

Are Stravinsky and Prokofiev jewish?

Pessoa

I haven't read the thread and probably has already been discussed but: what good recordings of The Soldier's Tale without a narrator are out there?

Karl Henning

I like Craft & al.

[asin]B000L42J90[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

North Star

I have no quarrel with the Boulez & Cleveland (DGG).
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: North Star on December 20, 2013, 06:19:54 AM
I have no quarrel with the Boulez & Cleveland (DGG).

Nor I . . . I need to spin that one again.

Quote from: sanantonio on December 20, 2013, 06:48:42 AM
Boston Chamber Players

[asin]B0043WBZP0[/asin]

That two-fer does look nice . . . though seeing Jn Gielgud there, I suspect he's narrating, and the query was sans récitateur :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Oh, I am sure I should like it . . . in fact, I have an idea that that may have been the first L'histoire ever I heard, myself . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

The trio version is good fun, although perhaps half the score is not arranged.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Pessoa

Thanks, I see there is plenty to choose from and  available.

Brahmsian

For DBM:

Stravinsky

Danses Concertantes

Robert Craft
Columbia Chamber Orchestra

Sony Classical

[asin]B000PTYUQG[/asin]

Mirror Image

One of my favorite Stravinsky ballets, besides Petrouchka and Le sacre du printemps, is Apollo. For me, the last movement (Apotheosis) is one of Stravinsky's most compelling utterances. I don't enjoy much of Stravinsky's music these days, but I can at least acknowledge the man's brilliance and Apollo is, indeed, a brilliant ballet.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 21, 2013, 08:37:14 PM
One of my favorite Stravinsky ballets, besides Petrouchka and Le sacre du printemps, is Apollo. For me, the last movement (Apotheosis) is one of Stravinsky's most compelling utterances. I don't enjoy much of Stravinsky's music these days, but I can at least acknowledge the man's brilliance and Apollo is, indeed, a brilliant ballet.

A great one indeed, John.  One of favourites as well.