Stravinsky

Orpheus

Stravinsky
Chicago Symphony Orchestra

Sony Classical

[asin]B000PTYUQG[/asin]

Mirror Image

Brahmsian

More DBM, these three great ballets!  :)

Stravinsky

Apollo
*Agon
**Jeu de Cartes

Stravinsky
Columbia Symphony Orchestra
*Los Angeles Festival Symphony Orchestra
**The Cleveland Orchestra

Sony Classical

[asin]B000PTYUQG[/asin]

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

petrarch

Some more listening from The Box:
Very enjoyable Variations, though the recording has oodles of reverb! Capriccio for piano and orchestra is also quite interesting (no harmful tone rows in this one ;)). Very pleasant Danses concertantes (unmistakably Stravinsky... was that a reference to Good King Wenceslas in one of the variations?) and the miniatures in Suite No. 1.

Didn't care much for Suite No. 2, nor for the Basie and Dumbarton Oaks concerti. Same for the Sonatas for piano(s), the Serenade in A and the Concerto for 2 solo pianos. I listened to the Variations after these, and it felt like a cleansing of the ears :).
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Karl Henning

Sonically, the piano works are deficient, but are of historical interest (the Concerto per due pianoforti performed by the composer together with his son, Soulima, e.g.)

I think it was the DRD recording of the Concerto in D which sold me on that piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

petrarch

Spent a very agreeable time today with the Ebony Concerto and the Septet, two old acquaintances.

Some other pleasurable highlights, though to a lesser degree (clearly denoting it would be worthwhile to spend more time to decant and delight in them) were Preludium for Jazz Ensemble, Concertino for 12 instruments, Ragtime for 11 instruments, Tango, Pastorale and Symphonies of Wind Instruments.

Duo Concertant and Piano - Rag Music didn't particularly warm me up. The first left me with the impression that another, more modern, recording might make it quite appealing.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on January 02, 2014, 12:17:02 PM
Ragtime for 11 instruments and Tango are two favorites.  But, there is not much by Stravinsky that I do not enjoy (the early works do the least for me).

:)

+ 1

Quote from: petrarch on January 02, 2014, 12:06:15 PM
Some other pleasurable highlights, though to a lesser degree (clearly denoting it would be worthwhile to spend more time to decant and delight in them) were Preludium for Jazz Ensemble, Concertino for 12 instruments, Ragtime for 11 instruments, Tango, Pastorale and Symphonies of Wind Instruments.

Thanks for mentioning the Preludium for Jazz Ensemble . . . it is slight enough, and I may only have listened to it once before, that I did not recall it, so your mention drove me to drop it into the playlist.  Fleeting, but very nice!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

snyprrr

I have the old Philips 2cd of Complete Violin Music with Olli Mustonen and Isabella van Kuelen(?). A very curious recording- I'd love to know if anyone else has heard it (have I asked this before?).

Octave

Quote from: snyprrr on January 02, 2014, 07:40:12 PM
I have the old Philips 2cd of Complete Violin Music with Olli Mustonen and Isabella van Kuelen(?). A very curious recording- I'd love to know if anyone else has heard it (have I asked this before?).

I'm interested in getting either the Keulen (reissue on Newton Classics) or the Marwood (Hyperion); if anyone knows both and finds any advantage in one or the other, that would be good to know. 
It looks like the Keulen/Mustonen includes the short Élégie (1944), not included (?) on the Marwood.

I notice that the Tango on Newton disc says "arr. Mustonen".  I wonder if the same arrangement was used on the later Hyperion recording?
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

North Star

Quote from: Octave on January 02, 2014, 08:55:04 PM
I'm interested in getting either the Keulen (reissue on Newton Classics) or the Marwood (Hyperion); if anyone knows both and finds any advantage in one or the other, that would be good to know. 
It looks like the Keulen/Mustonen includes the short Élégie (1944), not included (?) on the Marwood.

I notice that the Tango on Newton disc says "arr. Mustonen".  I wonder if the same arrangement was used on the later Hyperion recording?
Nope, it's by Samuel Dushkin, with whom Stravinsky toured, and for whom he dedicated Duo Concertante and  Divertimento, and who also helped with the composition of the VC.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Karl Henning

Quote from: James on January 02, 2014, 12:16:06 PM
Try the Hyperion release with Marwood & Adès.

Quote from: James on January 02, 2014, 06:12:06 PM
The Hyperion 2CD set has the complete music for violin & piano for the price of 1 CD.

Quote from: James on January 03, 2014, 02:34:06 AM
The 2010 Hyperion recording is the one to get.

Quote from: BeatriceI wonder that you will still be talking, Signior: nobody marks you.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

I have finally gotten around to buying that Marwood/Ades set on Hyperion. I've heard nothing but great things about it and the audio samples via Hyperion's website sounded fantastic.

There's one thing about it once I enter into a Stravinsky phase, it's hard not to buy a few more recordings. :)

Karl Henning

Stravinsky is so delightfully listenable!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Quote from: sanantonio on February 12, 2014, 10:35:00 AM
That Norrington recording you just bought looked interesting; I'm always up for a Historie du soldat suite.

Yeah, I hope it's good. I'm not the greatest Norrington fan in the world, but he's always doing something different.

snyprrr

Quote from: sanantonio on February 12, 2014, 10:35:00 AM
That Norrington recording you just bought looked interesting; I'm always up for a Historie du soldat suite.

I'm chasing you round the Threads! A certain Xenakis string motif is lifted from 'Le Sacre'- the Introduction of the magis or something. Very staccato- four stabs moving.

Mirror Image

What do you Stravinskians think of The Nightingale? I believe it was written between The Firebird and Le sacre du printemps. I was just listening to Craft's recording of it last night and found it pretty magnificent.

Karl Henning

I love it, and that is a fine recording.  I saw you listening to that on the WAYLT thread, and I wondered that it was included in the Ballets box  :)

Saw a performance of it at the Mariinsky, terrific piece.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on February 13, 2014, 05:34:01 AM
I love it, and that is a fine recording.  I saw you listening to that on the WAYLT thread, and I wondered that it was included in the Ballets box  :)

Saw a performance of it at the Mariinsky, terrific piece.

It's a great work certainly. The Craft ballet box actually contains tons of extras because this wasn't a specially compiled box as, in true Naxos fashion, it contains the actual releases in jewel cases. The only thing that was done special for the set was the outer box that the jewel cases slide into. So I think the title of the box set is a bit misleading as it's much more than just ballets.

BTW, you're lucky to have seen the entire work live. I would love to experience some Stravinsky live particularly less-known works.