Chez Stravinsky

Started by karlhenning, April 09, 2007, 08:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 19, 2014, 08:38:15 PM
Do you find that Orpheus and Apollo share any similar musical qualities? Of course, Apollo is scored for just a string orchestra, but there is, as you state, a delicacy in Orpheus that takes me back to the Apollo sound-world even though the instrumentation is obviously quite different.

I do find that they do, even though they are unique in their own sense.

snyprrr

Do you find that Orpheus and Apollo share any similar musical qualities? Of course, Apollo is scored for just a string orchestra, but there is, as you state, a delicacy in Orpheus that takes me back to the Apollo sound-world even though the instrumentation is obviously quite different.

They DO make great disc-mates... ALWAYS and ForEver... I have Craft on Naxos (with 'Agon'), nice, fruity recordings. I'd like to try Salonen.

I like 'Orpheus' because of the marble white sound, the descending pattern that is so familiar, the tone. 'Apollo' is the exact foil- almost reminding me of a more masculine Finzi?

Dancing Divertimentian

Yes, I think that's fair. The two works do seem to have similar dispositions. But Apollo is definitely more apt to shred the musical line in many places whereas Orpheus can't seem to do anything but revel in its serenity. Which is by design, of course.

Great job by Stravinsky to stick to his guns in Orpheus.

BTW, earlier I was listening to the recording of Apollo below and my fiancé remarked, "I really like this piece...it's light but dark". That's a pretty good description. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mirror Image

Quote from: snyprrr on February 20, 2014, 07:09:07 AM
They DO make great disc-mates... ALWAYS and ForEver... I have Craft on Naxos (with 'Agon'), nice, fruity recordings. I'd like to try Salonen.

I like 'Orpheus' because of the marble white sound, the descending pattern that is so familiar, the tone. 'Apollo' is the exact foil- almost reminding me of a more masculine Finzi?

As usual, I'm amused and baffled by your posts. But do carry on! ;) ;D

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on February 20, 2014, 07:49:41 PM
Yes, I think that's fair. The two works do seem to have similar dispositions. But Apollo is definitely more apt to shred the musical line in many places whereas Orpheus can't seem to do anything but revel in its serenity. Which is by design, of course.

Great job by Stravinsky to stick to his guns in Orpheus.

BWT, earlier I was listening to the recording of Apollo below and my fiancé remarked, "I really like this piece...it's light but dark". That's a pretty good description. :)

I agree. Stravinsky always composed the music that he wanted to and my hat is off to him for this kind of dedication. BTW, your fiance has great taste, too. 8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 20, 2014, 07:55:36 PM
BTW, your fiance has great taste, too. 8)

She doesn't always like the "moderns" but this one does it for her. :D

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Ken B

Quote from: snyprrr on February 20, 2014, 07:09:07 AM

Like John I,m puzzled. White is the adjective Stravinsky used for Apollo. Like John I find Orpheus softer, more pastel while still muted in color and contrast. Degas

Karl Henning

I sort of worry that snypsss seems to feel that Finzi was a girly-man . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ritter

This might be interesting (or perhaps not  :-\ ):

From Presto Classical's "Future releases" page:

STRAVINSKY IN HOLLYWOOD explores the short-lived film career of this legendary composer, it is the story of his trials and tribulations with the Hollywood Studios, the story of an "old school" European artist knocking heads with the brash New World. Igor Stravinsky lived in the heart of Hollywood from 1939 until shortly before his death in 1971. He came expecting to find lucrative work composing for the movies. The film uses a combination of existing archival footage (some of it never before seen), interviews with Stravinsky and his assistant Robert Craft.

The documentary includes scenes from several big studio films of the 40s brought together for the first time with the music which Stravinsky wrote for them.

SOUND FORMAT DVD: PCM Stereo

PICTURE 16:9, HD

SUBTITLES: English, German (voice over and subtitles)

BOOKLET: E, G, F

TOTAL RUNNING TIME. 54 MINS   

Not very generous running time for the 24 € price demanded!  >:(

Karl Henning

Maybe they'll have it at the library . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

EigenUser

So, I recently listened to "Symphonies of Wind Instruments". Didn't care for it. Then, I found a nice copy of a score on sale, so I bought it. I listened to it again with the score. Thought it was okay. Listened to it again with the score. Really liked it.

Any thoughts on this piece?
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 24, 2014, 04:38:31 PM
So, I recently listened to "Symphonies of Wind Instruments". Didn't care for it. Then, I found a nice copy of a score on sale, so I bought it. I listened to it again with the score. Thought it was okay. Listened to it again with the score. Really liked it.

Not that one. Another similar experience.
It took me years to lie Dumbarton Oaks. I knew I should like it, I liked similar Igors. But it never excited me until one day, after dutifully listening several times a year for a few years, suddenly it clicked. It is one of my favourite Igors now.

North Star

Quote from: EigenUser on May 24, 2014, 04:38:31 PM

Great piece, heard it live earlier this year. :)

Off the top of my head, my 11 favourites are probably these

Rite
Petrushka
Firebird
VC
Pulcinella
Apollo
Agon
Orpheus
Symphonies of Wind Instruments
Symphony of Psalms
Les Noces
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

EigenUser

Quote from: North Star on May 25, 2014, 02:41:48 AM
Great piece, heard it live earlier this year. :)

Off the top of my head, my 11 favourites are probably these

Rite
Petrushka
Firebird
VC
Pulcinella
Apollo
Agon
Orpheus
Symphonies of Wind Instruments
Symphony of Psalms
Les Noces
Stravinsky is a 'hit or miss' composer with me. I never liked Firebird (that's right), Les Noces, Pulcinella, or Symphony of Psalms very much. I mean, it's all great music, but I just didn't feel like I wanted to listen to it again immediately. I love (and play on violin) the VC, Scherzo a la Russe, Agon, Rite, and Petrushka. I'm also starting to like SWI as I stated in my previous post -- but it's short.

I think Rite is starting to slip as well, but it's my fault for over-playing it. "Agon" is my new favorite. I've seen it (more than once) described as his most cerebral piece, but I don't look at it in that way -- it just sounds like fun and joy to me. In fact, it puts me in a similar mood to that of the Haydn symphonies.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

petrarch

Quote from: EigenUser on May 25, 2014, 05:27:42 AM
I think Rite is starting to slip as well, but it's my fault for over-playing it.

Read Boulez's analysis of it in his Relevés d'apprenti. That gave me an entirely new perspective on the work.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

Ken B

Quote from: EigenUser on May 25, 2014, 05:27:42 AM
Stravinsky is a 'hit or miss' composer with me. I never liked Firebird (that's right), Les Noces, Pulcinella, or Symphony of Psalms very much. I mean, it's all great music, but I just didn't feel like I wanted to listen to it again immediately. I love (and play on violin) the VC, Scherzo a la Russe, Agon, Rite, and Petrushka. I'm also starting to like SWI as I stated in my previous post -- but it's short.

I think Rite is starting to slip as well, but it's my fault for over-playing it. "Agon" is my new favorite. I've seen it (more than once) described as his most cerebral piece, but I don't look at it in that way -- it just sounds like fun and joy to me. In fact, it puts me in a similar mood to that of the Haydn symphonies.
Fwiw I don't care for the Firebird either. Not surprising in my case actually. You really need a good recording of Les Noces. I like Bernstein on DG. The composer's own is poor. Craft is good but Lenny is better. You might like the Ebony Concerto. In that the composer's recording rules.

Mirror Image

I seem to go through a Stravinsky 'phase' every year and what I learn each time is that he was an incredibly consistent composer. I think he's such a master and there's not a stone that I have yet unturned in his relatively good size oeuvre. Great stuff.

EigenUser

Quote from: Ken B on May 25, 2014, 07:06:02 AM
Fwiw I don't care for the Firebird either. Not surprising in my case actually. You really need a good recording of Les Noces. I like Bernstein on DG. The composer's own is poor. Craft is good but Lenny is better. You might like the Ebony Concerto. In that the composer's recording rules.
I've heard the "Ebony Concerto" -- I think that it might follow a path similar to SWI. I should hear it again. I should also hear "Dumbarton Oaks" considering I live less than 30 miles from Dumbarton Oaks :D.

I didn't like the "Concerto in D" (the concerto grosso) much at all. The VC, on the other hand, is a different story. That is one of my favorite concertos to play on violin, along with the Mendelssohn E minor.

I find Stravinsky more challenging to "figure out" because he seemed to like changing his style at every full moon.

Quote from: petrarch on May 25, 2014, 06:10:49 AM
Read Boulez's analysis of it in his Relevés d'apprenti. That gave me an entirely new perspective on the work.
I'll check it out sometime. Thanks!

Sergeant Rock

Another Firebird non-lover here. Overexposure to it (recordings, radio, live concerts) has made me immune to its, admittedly, attractive qualities. My local band (the Rheinland-Pfalz) has once again programmed it for the upcoming season...sigh. It comes up so often it's like conductors don't realize Stravinsky composed other works.

Sarge   
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 25, 2014, 07:30:20 AM
Another Firebird non-lover here. Overexposure to it (recordings, radio, live concerts) has made me immune to its, admittedly, attractive qualities. My local band (the Rheinland-Pfalz) has once again programmed it for the upcoming season...sigh. It comes up so often it's like conductors don't realize Stravinsky composed other works.

Sarge
It has always been his most popular work. It made him tons of money, so enabled a lot of great music. But I am glad too that there are others who share my reaction. Now if I could just convince you guys that La Mer and the other behemoth showpieces of that ilk, Pictures for instance, are the same kind of animal ...