Alfredo Casella(1883-1947)

Started by Dundonnell, May 04, 2009, 06:29:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on November 05, 2023, 07:48:14 PMNot sure if I had given Casella's Triple Concerto (1933) a listen before, but glad I did it today. This composer rarely disappoints, this is a terrific work where the piano, violin and cello are perfectly integrated in the musical discourse, hooking from the ominous introduction and as a whole features propulsive energy tinged with certain acerbic harmonic touches in the outer movements (even some mildly reminding of Hindemith), and as usual with him, the slow movement emphasizes the soulful very effectively. The recording below sounded rather fine to me. There are at least other two recordings of this piece, which is a good indication about how good it is.

Indeed, it's a very fine work! As with the accompanying Violin Concerto on that disc, the touching and contemplative slow movement is perhaps the highlight. In fact, I don't know a single work by Casella which manages to be less than impressive. A remarkably consistent composer in my book!
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff