Stefan Wolpe

Started by S709, July 08, 2007, 06:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Xantus' Murrelet on July 13, 2007, 08:37:37 AM
Haha yes, I forgot about that one. Way to go, Bridge cover designers!!

Anyhow the Feldman piece "For Stefan Wolpe" mentioned earlier in the thread is quite extraordinary -- a chorus with 2 vibraphones, creating some very haunting 'resonating effects' -- I'm not quite sure what to call it. This piece creates a great deal of emotion and sense of mourning. It appears on a disc which also includes choral works by Wolpe himself:

Beautiful disc.  I really like the Naxos disc, too (or, perhaps there's more than one?)

karlhenning

Quote from: Xantus' Murrelet on July 08, 2007, 06:51:31 PM
The reason I feel a new enthusiasm for his music is this recording:

There is something about the voice and piano that suits Wolpe's language so well. And what especially caught my attention was the first piece on the disc:

Excerpts From Dr. Einstein's Address About Peace In The Atomic Era (1950), for voice and piano.

This is the only music I know which sets text by Albert Einstein -- and this text is a chilling warning about the cold war and the nuclear arms race. Here the intensity of Wolpe's music works brilliantly with the text, even though it may seem like an unusual piece at first. This is also very interesting from a historic point of view, showing an example of the effect of the mass lunacy of the period on music. Einstein's apt words are put into a powerful musical context.

This is piquing my curiosity keenly. Anyone (else) know the piece?

snyprrr

UB

It is a 6 minute piece that is OK if you like piano and voice but there are other works that I recommend first...the short Music for Hamlet for flute, clarinet and violoncello - Concerto for nine instruments - Piece for Piano and Ensemble.  BTW there is lots of Wolpe's music on YouTube but as far as I can see not this piece.
I am not in the entertainment business. Harrison Birtwistle 2010

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

vers la flamme

I just got the Naxos disc with the string quartet and other chamber works.

It sounds great! Especially enjoyed the Trio in Two Parts.

Anyone else listening to Wolpe lately? See there's been little activity in this thread for a few years.