Arvo Part (1935 - )

Started by Mirror Image, June 30, 2010, 07:52:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2021, 05:17:25 AM
I didn't get on with Roger Woodward's recording of the piano music, but liked Ralph van Raat and the composer's CD. I haven't really broached Aquarian Music, but just random sampling makes me think of Julius Eastman's Femenine (which I can't listen to for more than 10 minutes . . . )
Eastman sounds much more like jazz. Some of Otte can seem innocuous on first listen. That might be a problem.

vers la flamme

Been listening to Neeme Järvi's disc with the first three symphonies, plus the Cello Concerto "Pro et contra", plus Perpetuum Mobile, op.10, quite a bit lately...:

I find these works absolutely fascinating. He seems to take somewhat of a collage style which juxtaposes 12-tone serialism and extended instrumental techniques with moments of traditional tonality inspired by baroque music. It's quite compelling. I would love to hear more of the early Pärt. I also have this Naxos disc which contains the early Collage über BACH...:

... which is also quite enjoyable.

Does anyone know of any other good recordings of early Pärt works?

relm1

Quote from: vers la flamme on July 11, 2021, 04:02:12 PM

I find these works absolutely fascinating. He seems to take somewhat of a collage style which juxtaposes 12-tone serialism and extended instrumental techniques with moments of traditional tonality inspired by baroque music. It's quite compelling. I would love to hear more of the early Pärt. I also have this Naxos disc which contains the early Collage über BACH...:

... which is also quite enjoyable.

Does anyone know of any other good recordings of early Pärt works?

Aarvo Part is one of those rare composers who switched styles completely yet BOTH are excellent in their own way.  I also like Nekrolog from the 1960.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqeOyvJP_ZY