6 (or so) Great symphonic openings.

Started by vandermolen, July 19, 2010, 06:50:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Quote from: Franco on July 20, 2010, 08:43:46 AM
I'm not sure but a strong contender for my favorite Zarathustra is by Deodato.

The Fender Rhodes really works.

I have that LP!

Beetzart

Beethoven : 9, 5 and 6
Mahler: 6
Haydn: 6 Le Matin
Tchaikovsky: 6
Schubert: 5
Mozart: 40
Brahms: 1 and 4

But the greatest opening ever for me is Beethoven's Egmont overture.

How dreadful knowledge of truth can be when there is no  help in truth.

hornteacher

Quote from: Teresa on July 20, 2010, 03:08:06 AM
And what can I say, Johan de Meij's Symphony No. 1 "The Lord of the Rings" is absolutely amazing, as is all of his compositions.   IMHO this is not only the best symphony of all time but one of my top five favorite classical works period. 

It is rather extraordinary.  I've played it and its very difficult as well.  Brilliant use of tone color and programatic writing.  Love how the "Gandalf Motif" is omnipresent throughout each movement.

karlhenning

Quoteas is all of his compositions

Can't believe the person who posted that is A Writer.

Teresa

Jowcol I am quite sure Daphnis et Chloe is allowed as the exercise is to list "6 (or so) Great symphonic openings" so any symphonic work would be acceptable no just symphonies.

Saul my first exposure to The Lord of the Rings was via Johan de Meij's magically wonderful symphony based on the book.  Unlike you I absolutely hated what Howard Shore did to it in the later soundtracks to the movies. 

Jimmosk thanks for supporting my choice of the Johan de Meij symphony, there are two versions one for symphonic band and one for symphony orchestra with strings added.  Both versions qualify as symphonic works. 

jowcol

Quote from: Franco on July 20, 2010, 08:43:46 AM
I'm not sure but a strong contender for my favorite Zarathustra is by Deodato.

The Fender Rhodes really works.

Ahh.  The Creed Taylor(CTI)  label.  Somewhat pop crossover for jazz, but a lot of fun.  I must admit that I also like the Deodato version, as well as some of the other gems form CTI, such as Stanley Turrentine's Sugar, and George Benson's White Rabbit.  Great cast of players.  A similar vibe can be found on  Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay. (keys courtesy of Herbie hancock!)
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

jowcol

Quote from: Teresa on July 20, 2010, 01:05:08 PM
Jowcol I am quite sure Daphnis et Chloe is allowed as the exercise is to list "6 (or so) Great symphonic openings" so any symphonic work would be acceptable no just symphonies.

That comes as a relief.  I was worried that I might invoke the dreaded WRATH OF VANDERMOLEN!  :o
Duke Ellington

val

BEETHOVEN:   9th Symphony: the suspense before an Universe is born.

BRUCKNER:   3rd Symphony: similar but more mysterious.

BEETHOVEN:  5th Symphony: we are familiar to this. But I imagine the reaction of those who heard it for the first time !

BRAHMS:   4th Symphony: one of the most beautiful melodies ever created.

BRUCKNER:   7th Symphony:   the same.

vandermolen

Quote from: jowcol on July 20, 2010, 04:25:27 PM
That comes as a relief.  I was worried that I might invoke the dreaded WRATH OF VANDERMOLEN!  :o

What do you mean? On the contrary I am APOPLECTIC WITH RAGE at my super thread being derailed  >:( >:( >:(

What will you suggest next as 'A great symphonic opening' - Sparky's Magic Piano?

;)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Maestoso : Dukas 'La Péri' - a whole fanfare !  Idem : Panufnik: Symphonia sacra
Misterioso: Hindemith : Mathis der Maler   
Feroce : Bartok: The miraculous mandarin
Giocoso: Kodaly's "sneeze" for Hary Janos
Angoscioso: Ruggles : Sun treader, Brian: symphony nr 16
Deciso: Lutoslavski: Concerto for orchestra, Britten :Symphonia da requiem

etc.
P.

Laszlo Lajtha: symphony nr 9 !

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on July 21, 2010, 02:02:43 AM

Maestoso : Dukas 'La Péri' - a whole fanfare !  Idem : Panufnik: Symphonia sacra
Misterioso: Hindemith : Mathis der Maler   
Feroce : Bartok: The miraculous mandarin
Giocoso: Kodaly's "sneeze" for Hary Janos
Angoscioso: Ruggles : Sun treader, Brian: symphony nr 16
Deciso: Lutoslavski: Concerto for orchestra, Britten :Symphonia da requiem

etc.
P.

Nice choices - I think that the Sinfonie Singuliere by Berwald also has a great opening.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

pjme

Luke

Personally I think most...well, many...of Brian's 32 could easily fit into this thread, surprised they haven't been mentioned by any of our other Brianheads. From the first notes of the Gothic onwards...or how about 4 with its peculiar, ironic Handel pastiche....6, 7, 8, all amazing openings IMO. I'd better stop...

vandermolen

Thumbs up frpm me for Honegger's 5th 9great score) and the opening of Brian's 'Gothic'. Also, Vaughan Williams 'A London Symphony' (wonderfully atmospheric) and his No 9 (defiantly staring death in the face).

Thanks for all contributions.

jowcol

Quote from: vandermolen on July 21, 2010, 01:33:15 AM
What do you mean? On the contrary I am APOPLECTIC WITH RAGE at my super thread being derailed  >:( >:( >:(

What will you suggest next as 'A great symphonic opening' - Sparky's Magic Piano?

;)

But the question is, are you APOPLECTIC WITH RAGE in a valedictory, elegiac way, or is it more like hopeless defiance?  :P
Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: jowcol on July 22, 2010, 11:30:23 AM
But the question is, are you APOPLECTIC WITH RAGE in a valedictory, elegiac way, or is it more like hopeless defiance?  :P

All of these + sense of impending catastrophe  ;D

Xenophanes

Mozart, Symphony No. 35 "Haffner"

Beethoven, Symphonies Nos. 6 and 9, also 3 and 7; Violin Concerto

Brahms, Symphonies Nos. 1, 3, and 4; also Piano Concerto No. 1.

Mussorgsky-Ravel, Pictures at an Exhibition

Mussorgsky-Stokowski, Boris Godunov Synthesis

Rachmaninoff, Symphony No. 2; Isle of the Dead

Deems Taylor, Through the Looking Glass

Brian

Somebody mentioned Sibelius' 6th; an inspired choice, maybe my first choice!

Brahms' 4th and Bruckner's 7th are good ones; Dvorak's 6th; Louise Farrenc's 1st has a terrific opening; Mozart's 25th (mostly because of Amadeus); of the Shostakovich symphonies I've heard, my favorite opening is probably No 6.

And then, of course, there's Beethoven's 5th.

Things that aren't symphonies: Strauss' Don Juan, Dvorak's Wild Dove, Karlowicz' Episode at a Masquerade, Shostakovich's Second Piano Concerto, Beethoven's Fifth Piano Concerto, Wiren's Serenade, Janacek's Glagolitic Mass (either version), Glass' Violin Concerto, Das Rheingold, Humperdinck's Hansel und Gretel, any major orchestral work by Ravel.

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on July 20, 2010, 08:38:01 AM
My favorite Zarathustra is Sinopoli's with the New York Phil. But it's an eccentric reading--not a basic library recommendation--and, as you might guess  ;) on the slow side: 37:08 (Reiner, a favorite of many takes just 31:48; Kempe 33:00).

Get thee to a Blomstedtery! 33:56, but quite apart from anything Herbert does, the Dresden band sounds so gorgeous and full it makes me want to hug somebody.

offbeat

Must be many....just a few of my favourites
Prokofiev Symphony 6 -The snarling angry brass fanfare shows Sergeis looking on the dark side
Shostakovitch Symphony 8 - The opening utterance paints a canvas of grey and knows you are in for something very special
Bartok Music for strings percussion and celesta - adore this opening -like being lost in a dark forest - mesmerising...
Sibelius Symphony 4 - Similar in mood to the Bartok- wonderful atmosphere
Beethoven Symphony 3 - like being set free.......