Ma Vlast

Started by hautbois, April 09, 2007, 07:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 21, 2010, 04:28:52 PM
Now:

Kubelik owned Ma Vlast as far as I'm concerned. This is a remarkable performance. I'm also quite partial to Kubelik's own BSO recording as well.

Coincidentally I revisited this recording a few days ago. And found it a bit lacklustre, somewhat lacking in energy and poetry, which I'm aware goes against general conception of this recording. Though this is not a work I would necessarily want multiple recordings of, the thought crossed my mind to check Talich's recording. Did Senja record this?

Q

Que

Quote from: Drasko on July 22, 2010, 12:57:43 AM
Sejna did record Ma Vlast, with Czech Philharmonic in mid 50s, but CD is now very difficult to find, I haven't heard it.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COCQ-83806

I personally prefer Ancerl to both Talich and Kubelik, without Ancerl's rhythmic incisiveness that piece tends to sprawl a bit for me.

Quote from: Daverz on July 22, 2010, 05:38:48 AM
I agree with MI about this performance.  Maybe you weren't in the mood for it.

There is a Sejna recording, which I have not heard

http://www.amazon.com/My-Country-Smetana/dp/B00000JISZ

A sleeper recording that I love for the sound of the Staatskapelle Dresden is Berglund on EMI.

Thank you both for your expert comments, gentlemen! :)

So Sejna did record it, mmmhh, seems self recommending  - I guess I simply must have it! :o :) Thanks for the tip on Ancerl, Drasko! :)

Q

Daverz

Quote from: Que on July 22, 2010, 09:17:26 AM
So Sejna did record it, mmmhh, seems self recommending

Amazon also has it available as MP3 downloads:

http://www.amazon.com/Smetana-Country-Cycle-Symphonic-Poems/dp/B002O5R1ZQ

There was also a Smetacek recording with the CzPO:

http://www.amazon.com/Smetana-Vlast-Smetácek-Philharmonic-Orchestra/dp/B0000035A4

Luke

Quote from: Daverz on July 22, 2010, 05:38:48 AM
I agree with MI about this performance.  Maybe you weren't in the mood for it.

There is a Sejna recording, which I have not heard

http://www.amazon.com/My-Country-Smetana/dp/B00000JISZ...

You can download it for free (ripped straight from LP, WYSIWYG), here

DarkAngel

Quote from: Que on July 21, 2010, 10:43:22 PM
Coincidentally I revisited this recording a few days ago. And found it a bit lacklustre, somewhat lacking in energy and poetry, which I'm aware goes against general conception of this recording.

I made the same comment for Kubelik/Supraphon several posts above...........(reply 34)
Much prefer the older Kubelik/CSO on Mercury label of Ma Vlast, the "younger man" optimistic view of the world (or the Ancerl, Talich)

Que

Collection Smetana's Ma vlast
[Gramophone]

Robert Cowan trawls the record catalogue for the best versions of this innovative work "In these poems I have created my own, entirely new form, which has little in common with the symphonic poem besides the name." READ HERE.

For those who don't want to go though the whole article, here is the conclusion! :D

No fewer than a dozen of the 39 recorded Ma vlasts considered call on the talents of the Czech Philharmonic and it would seem decidedly odd, perhaps even downright perverse, not to recommend at least one of them. Rafael Kubelik's 1990 concert performance comes loaded with personal and political significance (it was recorded during the conductor's long-awaited return after selfimposed exile) and it is indeed a compelling performance. However, Kubelik's Orfeo recording with his own Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra is nourished by a level of knowledge, friendship and mutual artistic understanding that only a long-term relationship affords, and the fact that it was not achieved on Czech soil (or indeed with a Czech orchestra) in no way detracts from its cumulative effect. It may even be true that a certain 'longing for the homeland' added fuel to Kubelik's interpretative fire. Vaclav Talich's three itici vlasts are less excitable than Kubelik's, possibly less lyrical and rathermore majestic. I would ultimately plump for the earliest of them, mainly because of an incomparable "Vykhrad" but also because the playing has an expressive generosity that I think Smetana himself would have recognized —it' only in his mind's ear. Talich's last recording is less individual but more alert — and we desperately need a new CD transfer. Other Czech recordings that vie for supremacy include AnCerl with the Czech Philharmonic (either on Supraphon or, rather less practical, as part of a huge Tahra boxed set) or Krombohlc on Multisonic. As to non-Czechs, and a sure-tire bet at mid price, Paavo Berglund gives us Smetana 'straight', unhampered by inherited mannerisms and notably dynamic. So that's the verdict — Kubelik in Munich, the young Talich in Prague and Berglund in Dresden, with Kubelik's marvellous Orfeo recording just about tipping the scales for a top recommendation

Q

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Que on July 23, 2010, 11:23:29 PM

Collection Smetana's Ma vlast
[Gramophone]

Thanks for finding this Q. I went looking for it yesterday but couldn't find it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"