Back by popular demand

Started by M forever, June 20, 2007, 06:57:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M forever

Hello all,

I kept getting emails from forum members asking me if I didn't want to join the forum again, and I still get them. So I thought, maybe I take another look. I am told that the forum is now much better organized and moderated, and there is less flaming and kiddie stuff going on. Is that true? Or is the tone still controlled by cranky people who get nasty when their opinions are contradicted with hard facts?

In any case, I am not interested in musical discussions with such people, but it looks like a lot of the more interesting and informed members are still here, so that might be fun.

If the forum is better now, I also want to bring a series of blind listening tests here which I started on RMCR called "Mystery Orchestra" in which I post clips without telling who the performers are, and then people review the clips and guess the performers.

George

Quote from: M forever on June 20, 2007, 06:57:44 PM
Hello all,

I kept getting emails from forum members asking me if I didn't want to join the forum again, and I still get them. So I thought, maybe I take another look. I am told that the forum is now much better organized and moderated, and there is less flaming and kiddie stuff going on. Is that true?

It is true. 

Brian

Quote from: M forever on June 20, 2007, 06:57:44 PMIf the forum is better now, I also want to bring a series of blind listening tests here which I started on RMCR called "Mystery Orchestra" in which I post clips without telling who the performers are, and then people review the clips and guess the performers.
This sounds like a really neat idea.  8)

Welcome back sir ~ hope the boards are to your liking, they seem quite pleasant now that I'm returning, too...

uffeviking

A hearty Welcome back! Missed you!  8)

Bunny

Welcome back!  Good to see you here.  I've certainly missed your very knowledgeable posts. :)

Choo Choo

Que

Welcome M, hope things will work out.

Q

BachQ

What took you so long to rejoin?!

Greta

M! Great to see you here, glad you're back.  ;D

MishaK

Welcome back! And remember: don't forget to breathe.  ;D

bwv 1080

toledobass

Great to see you here again.

Allan

karlhenning

Quote from: D Minor on June 21, 2007, 04:53:58 AM
What took you so long to rejoin?!

As ever, D Minor gets to the heart of the res8)

Welcome back!

Iconito

Mir ist so wunderbar,
Es engt das Herz mir ein;
Er liebt mich, es ist klar
, (OK. That's kind of out of context... :))
Ich werde glücklich sein!

Welcome back, M!
It's your language. I'm just trying to use it --Victor Borge

Symphonien

Welcome back, M! I've been missing your insightful posts around here. Good to see you back.

"Mystery Orchestra" looks interesting, but for me, I have nowhere near enough listening experience to be able to consistently identify any orchestra or conductor. Maybe I will be able to learn something from it.

Siedler

M forever

Quote from: Symphonien on June 23, 2007, 03:37:46 AM
Welcome back, M! I've been missing your insightful posts around here. Good to see you back.

"Mystery Orchestra" looks interesting, but for me, I have nowhere near enough listening experience to be able to consistently identify any orchestra or conductor. Maybe I will be able to learn something from it.

You seem to lack reading experience, too. I wrote several times, in several places, in several cases in bold that no one "has" to identify anybody or anything.
Anybody who has *anything* to share about music and who is willing to post observations and opinions based not on preconceptions about the performers, but on nothing except what he/she is actually hearing and what this listening triggers in him/her, is more than welcome to come and take part in the game. Nobody wins or loses. Nobody will be ridiculed for guessing wrong. Especially since not all people guess. Some simply write about what they hear and what they think about interpretation, playing, sound.

So, it doesn't matter if you can identify the orchestra. Or the conductor. What matters is that a lot of people there have already written a number of very interesting and indeed unbiased posts. There is more good discussion material there than in dozens of other threads taken together. Because what people write there is indeed nothing but what they *hear*.

I myself am not very good at all at identifying pianists, but I look forward to listening to and reviewing the Mystery Pianist later.

Haffner