Daniel Steibelt (1765-1823)

Started by assadourian, August 02, 2010, 01:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

assadourian

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Hiroko-Sakagami-Klavier/hnum/6954235

I have this CD since some years . It is the only rekord of an important work of Steibelt .
A sonata in E. (~1803) .It is in 2 mvts . Really it is an outstanding sonata. And the pianist
deservs a fine and fluid interpretation.
In addition there are sonatas of Cramer ,Clementi , and Beethoven.
Steibelt was a very celebrated pianist-composer .But his bad reputation (about his character
and compositions) is in grand part false.

Gurn Blanston

Well, I am as bold as anyone when it comes to 'new' composers from that era, but there have to be recordings out there to listen to before one can take a chance! Steibelt has been on my radar for years, but until there is a disk of sonatas for fortepiano available, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it, Mr. Assadourian. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 03, 2010, 08:17:07 AM
Well, I am as bold as anyone when it comes to 'new' composers from that era, but there have to be recordings out there to listen to before one can take a chance! Steibelt has been on my radar for years, but until there is a disk of sonatas for fortepiano available, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it, Mr. Assadourian. :)

8)
I mentioned it on the Hummel link, but there is a disc with several works from less heard of composers, one of which was Steibelt. It was the disc below that also includes works from Field, Steibelt, Mayer, Tepper, and Hassler. The last four were new to me.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

karlhenning

Quote from: ukrneal on August 03, 2010, 10:28:36 AM
. . . works from Field, Steibelt, Mayer, Tepper, and Hassler. The last four were new to me.

The name Hassler is well known to choristers.  'Tis true I know of nothing else of his music, probably;  but he wrote the melody which JS Bach famously harmonized as the Passion Chorale.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ukrneal on August 03, 2010, 10:28:36 AM
I mentioned it on the Hummel link, but there is a disc with several works from less heard of composers, one of which was Steibelt. It was the disc below that also includes works from Field, Steibelt, Mayer, Tepper, and Hassler. The last four were new to me.

Looks interesting. Thanks for the tip, amigo. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

assadourian

The name Hassler is well known to choristers.  'Tis true I know of nothing else of his music, probably;  but he wrote the melody which JS Bach famously harmonized as the Passion Chorale.
[/quote]

This is not the same . You speak about Hans leo (1564-1612) .Here is Johann Wilhelm (1747-1822),
pianist-composer of sonatas , piano pieces and a concerto . Like Clementi , in the 1780 his piano
writing is preromantic with pathetics-vrtuoso-expressives  passages....i like this composer. 

assadourian

but until there is a disk of sonatas for fortepiano available, I guess I'll just have to take your word for it, Mr. Assadourian. :)

You can!  ;D
The output of Steibelt is plethoric and it is necessary to separe the best ( very best you can trust me) to the trivial.
Steibelt was  a really independant composer : more than beethoven because he had not princes or
rich protectors to assure his comfort.
His life is a struggle against rogues editors .And of course he composed easy pieces in "selling way"
( as Dussek said) ,for survive.
On other hand , his output contain among the best music composed in this period....What?
I have found at the "BN" of Paris , a lot of sonatas and concertos ,and indeed my previsions were
realized.
Already his very popular 3° "storm" concerto  was a masterpiece, but in his 3 last we have some
genious inventiveness ; the 7° "dans le genre grec" is for piano and 2 orchestras ( one classic and
the other "militar" ) placed in 2 different places . The 8° is a large scale piece with chorus
finale "bacchanale" composed before the 9° of beethoven.

Among the sonatas , there are some outstanding pieces as the op 64 (1809) , op 59 "bonaparte
sonata" ...
The studies op 78 and some preludes and capriccios  are also very interesting.....
See you later