2 (2.7%)
4-3-1-2
7 (9.5%)
4-3-2-1
12 (16.2%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on June 20, 2022, 01:22:22 PM
Well, this thread seems to have become Nobody really likes the Brahms symphonies, do they? (An observation, not a complaint.)

It doesn't apply on me. I do love them, and there's no way to compare them with the Serenades, for example. Sorry, reality as it is.  :)
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

LKB

I like 3 & 4, lukewarm for 2, meh for 1. :D
Mit Flügeln, die ich mir errungen...

vandermolen

They are all strong but 4 and 2 are probably my favourites.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Jo498

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on June 20, 2022, 06:19:31 PM
It doesn't apply on me. I do love them, and there's no way to compare them with the Serenades, for example. Sorry, reality as it is.  :)
I agree; I think the serenades and the three shorter works are all much "lighter" or otherwise not really comparable to the symphonies. I don't dislike them but I could well do without them. The concertos (except the double) are in some ways even larger and more ambitious works than the symphonies, they are all among the longest concertos in standard repertoire (which is not true of the symphonies). Nevertheless I think the challenge in the symphonies was harder for Brahms (he would never have put a comparably short and simple finale in a symphony like the rondos of the violin and double concertos).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Cato

Quote from: vandermolen on June 20, 2022, 10:48:44 PM
They are all strong but 4 and 2 are probably my favourites.

Have you heard this performance of the Fourth Symphony ?

https://www.youtube.com/v/NlxlGd5QfRU
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on June 20, 2022, 11:48:15 PM
I agree; I think the serenades and the three shorter works are all much "lighter" or otherwise not really comparable to the symphonies. I don't dislike them but I could well do without them.

FWIW, I feel much the same.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

ghmath

Quote from: Cato on June 19, 2022, 10:19:13 AMMy favorite Brahms symphony is the one by Hans Rott8)

;)

I guess Brahms will not be happy with this.  ;)

Cato

Quote from: ghmath on November 30, 2023, 03:24:15 AMI guess Brahms will not be happy with this.  ;)

;D

Well, a good amount of time has passed: maybe he has changed his mind!  😇

Opus131

Quote from: Karl Henning on June 20, 2022, 01:22:22 PMWell, this thread seems to have become Nobody really likes the Brahms symphonies, do they? (An observation, not a complaint.)

Brahms wouldn't be offended by this as he probably hated them all himself.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus131 on November 30, 2023, 09:33:29 AMBrahms wouldn't be offended by this as he probably hated them all himself.
With many artists, there's a difference between "I critique my own work" and, "oh, you thought I wanted your opinion, eh?"
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Jo498 on June 20, 2022, 11:48:15 PMI agree; I think the serenades and the three shorter works are all much "lighter" or otherwise not really comparable to the symphonies. I don't dislike them but I could well do without them. The concertos (except the double) are in some ways even larger and more ambitious works than the symphonies, they are all among the longest concertos in standard repertoire (which is not true of the symphonies). Nevertheless I think the challenge in the symphonies was harder for Brahms (he would never have put a comparably short and simple finale in a symphony like the rondos of the violin and double concertos).

The serenades are more intimate than the symphonies, but I find them brilliant within their scope. I wouldn't want to do without anything I've heard from Brahms.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

ghmath

(poco) Sforzando

Does the Brahms/Schoenberg 1st Piano Quartet not qualify as a symphony?
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

vers la flamme

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 30, 2023, 12:57:26 PMDoes the Brahms/Schoenberg 1st Piano Quartet not qualify as a symphony?

Barely even qualifies as Brahms, though it is a good work.

Florestan

If I never ever heard a Brahms symphony anymore, I would not think I lost much, or even anything at all.  ;D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2023, 01:52:43 PMIf I never ever heard a Brahms symphony anymore, I would not think I lost much, or even anything at all.  ;D

If you've lost the ability to appreciate Brahms you've lost a great deal.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Cato

Quote from: ghmath on November 30, 2023, 06:17:59 AMSurely you know the story

https://www.listenmusicculture.com/mastery/madness-thievery#:~:text=Brahms%20took%20a%20bite%20out%20of%20Rott%20with,of%20great%20beauty%20couldn%E2%80%99t%20possibly%20be%20Rott%E2%80%99s%20own.

Oh yes, I know it well!  Thanks for the link!

Quote from: (poco) Sforzando on November 30, 2023, 12:57:26 PMDoes the Brahms/Schoenberg 1st Piano Quartet not qualify as a symphony?

Schoenberg thought it needed an orchestra and that it did not work well as a piano quartet.

Schoenberg was a great admirer of Brahms.

Scion7

Quote from: Florestan on November 30, 2023, 01:52:43 PMIf I never ever heard a Brahms symphony anymore, I would not think I lost much, or even anything at all.  ;D
That's ... tragic.  :(
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Florestan

Quote from: Spotted Horses on November 30, 2023, 04:40:33 PMIf you've lost the ability to appreciate Brahms you've lost a great deal.

I've always liked Brahms' chamber and piano music. It's the symphonies that do nothing for me.
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno