Mark Simon's Madhouse

Started by Mark G. Simon, April 06, 2007, 04:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on April 09, 2009, 09:39:03 AM
The orchestral version of Silver Spring was given its first rehearsal on Tuesday night, and I have reason to hope for a satisfactory performance on April 28. The musicians' reaction to the piece was positive. I'll have to be a sure that a recording device is present in the hall at the performance and dress rehearsal.

http://www.culturecapital.com/event.php?id=5592

Splendid!

And Mark, remind me what make your portable recording device is?  I saved the link somewhere, but Lord knows where . . . .

Mark G. Simon

Karl,

Go back one page on this very thread.

karlhenning

karlhenning

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on April 09, 2009, 09:39:03 AM
The orchestral version of Silver Spring was given its first rehearsal on Tuesday night, and I have reason to hope for a satisfactory performance on April 28. The musicians' reaction to the piece was positive. I'll have to be a sure that a recording device is present in the hall at the performance and dress rehearsal.

http://www.culturecapital.com/event.php?id=5592

Knock 'em daid!

karlhenning

Mark G. Simon

Silver Spring went pretty well, all things considered. The violins had a little disagreement about what the first 3 notes are, and there were a few other minor issues, but I find the recording very listenable.

http://www.markgsimon.com/ListenToSilverSpring.htm

This is just the first of two movements. The full work will be performed by the same orchestra in the fall, when it moves into new headquarters in the new performing arts center at Montgomery College in Silver Spring, Md.

karlhenning

When I return home this evening, I look forward to downloading this, Mark!

Franco

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on May 02, 2009, 06:01:41 AM
Silver Spring went pretty well, all things considered. The violins had a little disagreement about what the first 3 notes are, and there were a few other minor issues, but I find the recording very listenable.

http://www.markgsimon.com/ListenToSilverSpring.htm

This is just the first of two movements. The full work will be performed by the same orchestra in the fall, when it moves into new headquarters in the new performing arts center at Montgomery College in Silver Spring, Md.

Very nicely done.

But I am wondering if the spring in your title refers to the season or a body of water?

:)

karlhenning

Is that part of Maryland in Appalachia?

karlhenning

QuoteWhen I return home this evening, I look forward to downloading this, Mark!

Only I couldn't, machine was occupied on our side.  Hopefully this evening!  Delighted at all the positive feedback I am reading, Mark!

Mark G. Simon

Quote from: Franco on May 04, 2009, 05:54:41 AM
Very nicely done.

But I am wondering if the spring in your title refers to the season or a body of water?

:)

Silver Spring is named after the Maryland city on the edge of Washington, D.C. where I was walking on the day that I finished this work. On that walk, I encountered a small triangular park marking the location of the actual spring for which the city is named. It seems that a notable 19th citizen was travelling from DC when one of his horses got away from him and was later found drinking from a spring, the mineral content of which gave it a silvery color. This person bought a lot of land around there and built his estate there, and eventually urbanization caught up with it.

I wrote this piece last year for a quartet of clarinets (3 plus bass). Later, the director of this orchestra suggested I write something. When I learned that he had just made a deal to make the orchestra's home in the newly built performing arts center at Montgomery College in Silver Spring, Md., I decided there should be a piece to celebrate that event, and it just so happened that I already had a piece called Silver Spring, so I arranged it for orchestra. So now it will get another performance in the fall (this time with both movements) because it's tied up with the conductor's ambitions to give this orchestra a higher profile.

karlhenning

Quote from: Mark G. Simon on May 04, 2009, 08:52:54 AM
. . . So now it will get another performance in the fall (this time with both movements) because it's tied up with the conductor's ambitions to give this orchestra a higher profile.

Excellent3!