Your top 3 symphonists

Started by Bonehelm, June 21, 2007, 08:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lescamil

Quote from: vandermolen on February 23, 2012, 03:11:19 PM
I nearly chose Braga Santos instead of Tubin John. However, I like all the ten completed Tubin symphonies, but only nos 1-4 of Braga Santos.

But the last two Braga Santos symphonies are the best ones!
Want to chat about classical music on IRC? Go to:

irc.psigenix.net
#concerthall

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,19772.0.html

-------------------------------------

Check out my YouTube page:

http://www.youtube.com/user/jre58591

Cato

Quote from: kentel on February 23, 2012, 04:34:15 AM
  May I ask which "music professors" wrote "15-20 minutes symphonies" in the 40's and the 50's - so that I could listen and try to understand what your criticism is about - ?

Well, no, you cannot hear them!  And consider yourself lucky!   0:)

However, I can explain my criticism, which involves a double-edged sword:

1. Their names have been forgotten because...
2. Their music was uninteresting mathematical wannabe-Webernian blips and bloops meant to mystify graduate students in Music, who however tended to be more annoyed than mystified.

Trust me: I saw a good number of these scores gathering dust in several university libraries, and my general criticism was echoed by professional critics 40-50 years ago.  This professorial dominance with its "wannabe Webernianism" was partially the reason why a cry of freedom - or relief - accompanied the birth of Minimalism.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Cato

Quote from: Cato on February 23, 2012, 04:15:27 PM

2. Their music was uninteresting mathematical wannabe-Webernian blips and bloops meant to mystify graduate students in Music, who however tended to be more annoyed than mystified.

Trust me: I saw a good number of these scores gathering dust in several university libraries, and my general criticism was echoed by professional critics 40-50 years ago.  This professorial dominance with its "wannabe Webernianism" was partially the reason why a cry of freedom - or relief - accompanied the birth of Minimalism.

An example of a composer who deliberately avoided academia (partially) because of this atmosphere was Gene Gutche'.

http://www.genegutche.org/biography.htm
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 23, 2012, 08:21:17 AM
Glad to hear this, John! The 6th is one of the ones I am yet to hear. So far I know no.4 and 7 which are both excellent, and very very different. This Saturday when I get back to the academy (we have just had the 'half term' holidays), Matthew is planning on playing me another Simpson symphony, which I am very excited to hear. I think he said it would be no.8 we'll be listening to.

By the way, if you want the most thrilling rhythmic energy, take a listen to the Scherzo from the 4th symphony! Matthew was right in telling me before we listened to it that 'you will have never heard a scherzo quite like this before...'. Such a thrilling piece! :)

Thanks, Daniel. I'll give the 4th another listen at some point. Right now, I just received my ninth Shostakovich symphony cycle (Kondrashin, Moscow Philharmonic) and I plan on making my way through it. I also received Gergiev's Shostakovich set called The War Symphonies which is #4-9, so I plan on listening to these as well. It looks like I'll be tied up for awhile, plus, tomorrow Markl's set of Debussy comes out, so I'll be acquiring this. So much to listen to!!! :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on February 23, 2012, 03:11:19 PM
I nearly chose Braga Santos instead of Tubin John. However, I like all the ten completed Tubin symphonies, but only nos 1-4 of Braga Santos.

I actually like all of Braga Santos' symphonies. The 2nd is actually my favorite though. I do like the 4th a lot too. I need to refresh my memory of Tubin's, but the last Tubin symphony I listened to was the 7th which was riveting.

Bogey

Quote from: karlhenning on February 22, 2012, 06:58:38 AM
Cool, Bill!

Well, you need to receive a lot of credit for my third choice, Karl.  Continued appreciation.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

vandermolen

Quote from: lescamil on February 23, 2012, 03:59:21 PM
But the last two Braga Santos symphonies are the best ones!

I meant symphonies 1,2,3 and 4 and totally agree that 3 and 4 are the best. He is certainly one of my favourite composers.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 23, 2012, 06:37:28 PM
I actually like all of Braga Santos' symphonies. The 2nd is actually my favorite though. I do like the 4th a lot too. I need to refresh my memory of Tubin's, but the last Tubin symphony I listened to was the 7th which was riveting.

And I need to refresh my memory of Tubin's 7th Symphony! Actually, I increasingly like the more challenging nos 5 and 6 by Braga Santos too.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Bulldog on February 23, 2012, 09:35:01 AM
In no particular order:

Shostakovich
Mahler
Weinberg

I have greatly enjoyed nos 1 and 3 by Weinberg, although I still think that, of the ones I know, No 5 is the greatest and the choral No 6 is a very powerful and moving work.

kentel

Thanks for your answer, I guess I know what kind of stuff you are referring to :) In France, the stereotype of this kind was René Leibowitz, but I could mention many others. Actually, Boulez in his first works wrote things in this vein. Serialism was a kind of recipe, which could warrant the composer immediate success inasmuch as he was in the good "milieu". As for the (many) others, you're right : their scores are now gathering dust in universities and conservatories.

However, Maxwell-Davies and Segerstam sound very different to my ears : it's unmelodious and atonal, but it's not webernian. There's no klangfarbenmelodie with a single note for the clarinet here and a single note for the mandolin there etc. It's much more coherent, there's an atmosphere, it's more sensual than intellectual and it sounds to me highly evocative with a very rich panel of orchestral sonorities.

Well, you may not like it though, it's a question of personal affinities, but I don't think one could assimilate it to post-serial like stuff. To me PMD is a heir of Tippett and Britten - especially Tippett.

SymphonicAddict

Is there a question harder than this one? (Probably would be 'Your all-time favorite composer')

Probably as a first attempt:

Dvorák
Nielsen
Tchaikovsky

As a second attempt it would be:

Vaughan Williams
Shostakovich
Bruckner

Why not a third one?

Martinu
Mahler
Tubin

amw

Haydn
Beethoven
Dvořák (except no.9)

calyptorhynchus

1.Robert Simpson
2. Havergal Brian
3. Holmboe
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Brian

Quote from: amw on March 19, 2018, 06:03:27 PM
Haydn
Beethoven
Dvořák (except no.9)
Completely agree, except I forgive Mr. D. for No. 9.

Mirror Image

My list these days would probably look like this:

Mahler
Bruckner
Nielsen

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

vandermolen

My top three today:

Vaughan Williams
Shostakovich
Sibelius

Favourites not already mentioned

Tubin
Braga-Santos
Miaskovsky

Three I should have mentioned  ::)

Bruckner
Tchaikovsky
Mahler

johndoe21ro

I can't do without...

1. Mahler

2. Bruckner

3. Shostakovich

As of lately I'm stuck with the 5th by Shostakovich with Manfred Honeck and the Pittsburgh SO (Reference Recordings 2017)... :P
But any Barshai, Bernstein or Mravinsky will do just fine...

Ken B

I want to bump this comment. Amen brother!

bwv 1080