9/21/2010 - I will be a very happy camper

Started by hornteacher, August 17, 2010, 07:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hornteacher

That's the release date for Hilary Hahn's new CD of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto (one of my favorites).  Its coupled with the premiere recording of the Higdon Violin Concerto (which won the Pulitzer Prize for Music this year).  Looking forward to hearing this new work as well.  AND HH is on the cover of BBC Music Magazine next month.  Its going to be a nice autumn.   :)

Todd

Quote from: hornteacher on August 17, 2010, 07:16:10 PMThat's the release date for Hilary Hahn's new CD of the Tchaikovsky Violin Concerto (one of my favorites).  Its coupled with the premiere recording of the Higdon Violin Concerto (which won the Pulitzer Prize for Music this year).

I was wondering when the Tchaikovsky was going to be issued.  I'll be hearing Ms Hahn perform it in concert in October.  I guess I'll have to buy the disc to determine if she's better in person or on disc.  (Incidentally, the disc is already available in Japan.)
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Herman

Wow, the Tchaikovsky violin concerto!

I wonder what it's like.

BTW I think it's a lovely piece of music, but a new recording of this piece everyone has recorded, I cannot see that as a life changing experience.

It's played so often in concert that I don't see any need to listen to a cd recording, though I have a couple (inevitably); which brings one to the issue of the ever shrinking repertoire. Violin concertos: Beethoven, Brahms, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky. No need to program anything else, people might get upset.

The new erato

Quote from: Herman on August 17, 2010, 11:46:35 PM
Wow, the Tchaikovsky violin concerto!

I wonder what it's like.

BTW I think it's a lovely piece of music, but a new recording of this piece everyone has recorded, I cannot see that as a life changing experience.

It's played so often in concert that I don't see any need to listen to a cd recording, though I have a couple (inevitably); which brings one to the issue of the ever shrinking repertoire. Violin concertos: Beethoven, Brahms, Sibelius, Tchaikovsky. No need to program anything else, people might get upset.
+1

If you're into that particular performer I can see the interest, but as an issue of a recording of a piece of music it is totally without interest.

Brian

My experiences with Jennifer Higdon's music make me less likely to buy the disc...

karlhenning

Todd

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on August 18, 2010, 06:14:30 AMJust for information: What orchestra(s)?

The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.  Interestingly, the Higdon gets top billing, in so far as that matters.

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Todd on August 18, 2010, 06:22:52 AM

The Royal Liverpool Philharmonic.  Interestingly, the Higdon gets top billing, in so far as that matters.

And Petrenko is presumably the guy who made the tea  :(

"Of all the NOISES known to Man, OPERA is the most expensive" - Moliere

MN Dave

Brian

Quote from: False_Dmitry on August 18, 2010, 06:27:36 AM
And Petrenko is presumably the guy who made the tea  :(

Well, it guarantees that the orchestra will give a really strong, lively, interesting accompaniment - if it's anything like Petrenko's turn in the No 2 role for Simon Trpceski on Avie, or for Eldar Nebolsin on Naxos. Of course, I imagine DG will have recorded the CD so it sounds like Hahn is 50 feet in front of the rest of the players.

Todd

Quote from: False_Dmitry on August 18, 2010, 06:27:36 AMAnd Petrenko is presumably the guy who made the tea

Generally people do buy concerto recordings from big name soloists for the conductor.

False_Dmitry

Quote from: Brian on August 18, 2010, 06:33:06 AM
Well, it guarantees that the orchestra will give a really strong, lively, interesting accompaniment - if it's anything like Petrenko's turn in the No 2 role for Simon Trpceski on Avie, or for Eldar Nebolsin on Naxos. Of course, I imagine DG will have recorded the CD so it sounds like Hahn is 50 feet in front of the rest of the players.

Petrenko is an extremely able conductor :)  He's very good in opera, especially in the "bel canto" repertoire, where he has a very deft and stylish touch.  He was guesting here in Moscow a few years ago, and played a very nice RITA.  Not my favourite repertoire at all - but the music comes alive when it's sensitively treated :)

You drew a wry smile with the comment about DG's bizarre spacial separations :)

"Of all the NOISES known to Man, OPERA is the most expensive" - Moliere

hornteacher

Quote from: Brian on August 18, 2010, 06:12:37 AM
My experiences with Jennifer Higdon's music make me less likely to buy the disc...

I'm not familiar with her music but caught the online interview HH did with her.  We tend to have similar tastes Brian so I'm interested on your take of Higdon.

hornteacher

Quote from: erato on August 17, 2010, 11:54:02 PM
If you're into that particular performer I can see the interest, but as an issue of a recording of a piece of music it is totally without interest.

Agreed.  Another Tchaikovsky VC recording isn't needed, I've just been very pleased with HH's interpretation of other "standards" in the past and would love to hear her take on this one.  Now if I could just get her do to the Dvorak VC.......

Mirror Image

Quote from: hornteacher on August 18, 2010, 03:29:25 PMNow if I could just get her do to the Dvorak VC.......

Well I definitely wouldn't buy the recording for the Jennifer Whatshername Violin Concerto. Whatshername is one of the worst contemporary composers I've heard. It amazes me that the Whatshername concerto gets top billing on this recording. The Tchaikovsky is an old workhorse, but it's still a great work in my opinion.

I would like to hear Hahn tackle some more lesser-known repertoire. Since she recorded RVW's The Lark Ascending, I would like to hear her play his Concerto Academico or even Myaskovsky's Violin Concerto for example. There are so many better composer's music that she could easily advocate and champion.

Brian

Quote from: hornteacher on August 18, 2010, 03:29:25 PM
Agreed.  Another Tchaikovsky VC recording isn't needed, I've just been very pleased with HH's interpretation of other "standards" in the past and would love to hear her take on this one.  Now if I could just get her do to the Dvorak VC.......

Mmm, imagine HH doing the Dvorak, Wieniawski No 2, and Coleridge-Taylor. I'd buy THAT.

Higdon's blue cathedral is the work I have heard of hers. It was an attempt to pander to the audience without really being pretty, somewhat Hollywoody without being expressive, and required the string players to shake these little metal things which made an "alien spaceship" noise for several minutes. I like a good hoke-fest, but only if it endorses its hokiness and goes for splashy tunes and fun. Pretentious hokiness is just weird.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on August 18, 2010, 06:31:51 PM
Mmm, imagine HH doing the Dvorak, Wieniawski No 2, and Coleridge-Taylor. I'd buy THAT.

Higdon's blue cathedral is the work I have heard of hers. It was an attempt to pander to the audience without really being pretty, somewhat Hollywoody without being expressive, and required the string players to shake these little metal things which made an "alien spaceship" noise for several minutes. I like a good hoke-fest, but only if it endorses its hokiness and goes for splashy tunes and fun. Pretentious hokiness is just weird.

I'm telling you Jennifer Whatshername is awful. There's nothing remotely honest coming from her music at all. It's all smoke and mirrors to me. I'm just surprised to see her Violin Concerto being released so quickly when there are other composers more deserving to be performed.

Todd

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 18, 2010, 06:40:51 PMI'm just surprised to see her Violin Concerto being released so quickly when there are other composers more deserving to be performed.

According to whom, other than you?  The marketing for the disc seems pretty clear.  Hilary Hahn is playing some core rep along with something new, and by a female composer no less.  It will make for interesting interview subject matter, show Ms Hahn as championing new music, and so on.  Someone like Myaskovsky, well, pretty much no one cares about his music, and it doesn't make for interesting press. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: Todd on August 18, 2010, 07:01:56 PMAccording to whom, other than you?  The marketing for the disc seems pretty clear.  Hilary Hahn is playing some core rep along with something new, and by a female composer no less.  It will make for interesting interview subject matter, show Ms Hahn as championing new music, and so on.  Someone like Myaskovsky, well, pretty much no one cares about his music, and it doesn't make for interesting press.

Spoken like a true PR person instead of a classical fan. Profits are so important aren't they to you? The marketing aspect of the music is always more important than the music isn't it, Toad, I mean Todd.

P.S. There are plenty of people on this forum that cares about Myaskovsky's music. Go to his composer thread and look for yourself. Your ignorance is overwhelmingly disappointing.

Brian