NY Philharmonic 2011 - 12 includes Stockhausen's "Gruppen"

Started by listener, March 21, 2011, 10:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

listener

http://www.playbillarts.com/features/article/print/8533.html
An unusual, post-season program, co-produced with the Park Avenue Armory, utilizes the Wade Thompson Drill Hall's vast interior to examine works in which space plays a key role. Alan Gilbert will conduct works by Boulez, Mozart, Ives, and Stockhausen that configure the New York Philharmonic into separate groups. The centerpiece is Gruppen, Stockhausen's masterpiece that experiments with sound and divides the musicians into three ensembles, each led by a different conductor — on this occasion, the Music Director and composer-conductors Magnus Lindberg and Matthias Pintscher.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

westknife

MDL

I hope they follow usual practice (at least usual here in London) and play it twice. Thanks to this convention, I've heard Gruppen seven times live; 2x2 times in the Festival Hall, 1x2 times in the Albert Hall and one surprisingly effective student performance in Blackheath.

Mirror Image

Quote from: listener on March 21, 2011, 10:14:50 PM
http://www.playbillarts.com/features/article/print/8533.html
An unusual, post-season program, co-produced with the Park Avenue Armory, utilizes the Wade Thompson Drill Hall's vast interior to examine works in which space plays a key role. Alan Gilbert will conduct works by Boulez, Mozart, Ives, and Stockhausen that configure the New York Philharmonic into separate groups. The centerpiece is Gruppen, Stockhausen's masterpiece that experiments with sound and divides the musicians into three ensembles, each led by a different conductor — on this occasion, the Music Director and composer-conductors Magnus Lindberg and Matthias Pintscher.

Their season doesn't look so unusual to me. Boulez and Stockhausen aren't exactly "concert friendly" composers, but, at the same time, their music isn't shocking to people anymore either. A more interesting season would be including unusual Latin American, Scandinavian, British, Australian, Asian, and Eastern European repertoire into the fold, but, hey, they've got to sell tickets right?