Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986)

Started by Catison, April 09, 2007, 09:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

What a wonderful work Rubbra's 6th Symphony is! It's a deeply inspiriting and eloquent work - with great gravity in the slow movement - that reminded me in places of my beloved Damase Symphonie.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 08, 2019, 10:05:46 AM
What a wonderful work Rubbra's 6th Symphony is! It's a deeply inspiriting and eloquent work - with great gravity in the slow movement - that reminded me in places of my beloved Damase Symphonie.
Excellent! Which recording were you listening to Kyle?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2019, 11:12:59 AM
Excellent! Which recording were you listening to Kyle?

Hickox/Chandos. It's the only recording I've heard so I can't make comparisons, but it sounded excellent to my ears.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 08, 2019, 12:00:53 PM
Hickox/Chandos. It's the only recording I've heard so I can't make comparisons, but it sounded excellent to my ears.
That is a fine version Kyle. Recently I got hold of a historic John Barbirolli recording which I really enjoyed.
[asin]B00NC4QLKE[/asin]
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2019, 12:07:57 PM
That is a fine version Kyle. Recently I got hold of a historic John Barbirolli recording which I really enjoyed.
[asin]B00NC4QLKE[/asin]

Thanks for alerting me to this recording, Jeffrey. I see there is also a Del Mar recording of the 6th on Lyrita.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on January 08, 2019, 02:29:50 PM
Thanks for alerting me to this recording, Jeffrey. I see there is also a Del Mar recording of the 6th on Lyrita.
Also good even though I'm not a particular Del Mar fan - that is one of his better recordings, nicely coupled with the magical Symphony 8 I think (or it was on LP).

relm1

Quote from: vandermolen on January 08, 2019, 02:32:50 PM
Also good even though I'm not a particular Del Mar fan - that is one of his better recordings, nicely coupled with the magical Symphony 8 I think (or it was on LP).

You don't like Del Mar's No. 6?  I love that one.

vandermolen

Quote from: relm1 on January 08, 2019, 04:14:31 PM
You don't like Del Mar's No. 6?  I love that one.
No, I do like that one - it's fine. It is his recording of Bax's 6th Symphony which has less appeal to me although others admire it very much.

Biffo

Just listened to Symphony No 6 (Hickox/BBC NOW) on Spotify, a fine work, now tempted to buy it. I have Symphonies 4,5,9,10 & 11 and like them all except No 9 which I find dull.

vandermolen

Quote from: Biffo on January 09, 2019, 02:55:31 AM
Just listened to Symphony No 6 (Hickox/BBC NOW) on Spotify, a fine work, now tempted to buy it. I have Symphonies 4,5,9,10 & 11 and like them all except No 9 which I find dull.
Agree about No.9 you definitely need to hear No.7 one of the best IMHO - there is a wonderful Boult recording on Lyrita. Also No.8 has a magical, spiritual quality to it.

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on January 09, 2019, 08:27:46 AM
Agree about No.9 you definitely need to hear No.7 one of the best IMHO - there is a wonderful Boukt recording on Lyrita. Also No.8 has a magical, spiritual quality to it.

Agreed, no. 7 is fantastic with a particularly moving last movement.

Christo

Quote from: kyjo on January 09, 2019, 09:44:32 AM
Agreed, no. 7 is fantastic with a particularly moving last movement.
Gentlemen! Do you really think that I am going to play the complete Rubbra now that I have just processed Arthur Benjamin, Santoro and all my Christmas music?? (But you're right, I will)  :-X
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kyjo

Quote from: Christo on January 09, 2019, 09:51:26 AM
Gentlemen! Do you really think that I am going to play the complete Rubbra now that I have just processed Arthur Benjamin, Santoro and all my Christmas music?? (But you're right)  :-X

Yes, we do! ;D

vandermolen

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

kyjo

Christo

(Sssssssshhht, be quiet, barbarians):
  8)

vandermolen

Quote from: Christo on January 09, 2019, 11:43:02 AM
(Sssssssshhht, be quiet, barbarians):
  8)
That's the one - great disc!

springrite

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 08, 2018, 08:42:07 PM
I once played the Symphony No.4 to my family and at the end someone commented, 'No wonder the Allies prevailed in WW2'!
Just saw this.

Rubber over Wagner! Hooray!!!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Symphonic Addict

Just the 1st Symphony ended and I have to say I'm overwhelmed (once again) by its inexorable energy!! An incredibly stirring work with no dull moments at all. His style seems very unique from here. Impressive altogether.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky