Edmund Rubbra (1901-1986)

Started by Catison, April 09, 2007, 09:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catison

Quote from: Todd on April 09, 2007, 10:02:02 AM
Catison, what are your first impressions of the symphonies you have listened to?

To belatedly answer your question, I absolutely love it now.  He seems to be in the tradition of Prokofiev, not idiomatically, but in personality.  I can't really say more now even thought I listen to his music weekly.
-Brett

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: Catison on November 10, 2009, 05:12:21 PM
He seems to be in the tradition of Prokofiev, not idiomatically, but in personality. 

Interesting reaction. Why do you think of Prokofiev? Rubbra reminds me of a range of composers, from William Byrd to Brahms and Bruckner, but I must admit I never think of Prokofiev while listening to him.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Catison

Quote from: Contents Under Pressure on November 10, 2009, 11:43:24 PM
Interesting reaction. Why do you think of Prokofiev? Rubbra reminds me of a range of composers, from William Byrd to Brahms and Bruckner, but I must admit I never think of Prokofiev while listening to him.

I honestly don't know why.  There is nothing in his music that screams Prokofiev to me, but his music gives me the same "feeling".  For better or worse, his music has great power and energy while you listen to it, but that energy quickly fades after the piece is over.  I don't know why that should be.  Both Rubbra and Prokofiev make their statements beautifully and in their own idiom, but they do not penetrate too deeply.

Again, this is just a feeling.
-Brett

Mirror Image

Glad to see other people as enthusiastic for Rubbra as I am! :D

His music is quite unique and very beautiful. I'm not sure about "unsettling" as someone else mentioned. When I hear Rubbra's music, I actually become quite settled and contained. Somebody did mention something very interesting about first time listenings to his symphonies: at first they do seem rather dry or plain-faced however you want to describe it, but repeated listenings revealed a whole realm of beauty and depth. I felt much the same way when I first heard Martinu's symphonies. I thought "Okay, is that it? What's the big deal?" But when revisited them after spending time away from them their logic makes a lot more sense and the emotional quality I felt missing at first is revealed in a gorgeous way.

I don't think I can pick a favorite Rubbra symphony, because he was so consistent and each symphony, like all great symphonists' symphonies, are virtual worlds unto their own. One thing that I find refreshing in Rubbra's symphonies is the almost free-flowing nature of them. Almost a moment-to-moment kind of feel rather than simply stating a theme and developing that theme. He seemed to compose with a stream-of-consciousness type of feeling. Sound too far-fetched of a description? Who knows, but that's just what it sounds like to me.

I just purchased a recording of his Viola Concerto on Hyperion, which came highly recommended to me from another Rubbra fan.

Klaatu

Reading this thread makes me want to pull out my Rubbras (steady, girls!) and listen to them again.

My abiding memories of his music on my first wave of listening were a beginning and an ending -

The beginning is that of the 4th Symphony - beautiful, simple, deeply spiritual and very English.

The ending is that of the 9th - where Rubbra's own music blends into the chorale by Hans Leo Hassler. When I was at school we used to sing the hymn "Oh Jesus I Have Promised" to this tune.

Listening to this final section of the 9th at Eastertide never fails to move me - I'm back at school in an English spring and the world lies pregnant with possibilities.

On a less serious note, I like the story about Rubbra's piano trio being introduced by a radio announcer as "three gentlemen who are at the top of the tree in their various string combinations"!

drogulus

The Rubbra/Hickox cycle is still available at the Chandos site. It's not hideously expensive (£39.52 for lossless DL). I'd like to get an opinion from the good Rubbrists here. Should I go, or no?
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

vandermolen

Quote from: drogulus on August 20, 2010, 01:31:29 PM
    The Rubbra/Hickox cycle is still available at the Chandos site. It's not hideously expensive (£39.52 for lossless DL). I'd like to get an opinion from the good Rubbrists here. Should I go, or no?

I say go!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

drogulus

That's what I wanted to hear. I already have 5, 8 and 9 in the series, but the numbers probably favor the complete set rather than chunks. I'll have to check on that.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:123.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/123.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:109.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/115.0

Mirror Image

Quote from: drogulus on August 20, 2010, 01:31:29 PM

Why would you want a download of it when you can own the set? Anyway, do whatever you want to do. Hickox's Rubbra is essential listening in my opinion.

drogulus

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 20, 2010, 06:13:47 PM
Why would you want a download of it when you can own the set?

To get to the other side.

Elnimio

His viola concerto is incredibly beautiful.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elnimio on January 07, 2011, 09:07:14 PM

Indeed. Have you heard his symphonies?

just Jeff

I just now getting into some of the Lyrita label recordings on both LPs and CDs.  They are somewhat of an audiophile label, considered strong peformances and very good recordings.

20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

Elnimio

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 09, 2011, 09:08:05 PM

Indeed. Have you heard his symphonies?

Working on it. What I've heard so far has been great.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Elnimio on January 10, 2011, 08:19:08 AM
Working on it. What I've heard so far has been great.

The set on Chandos with Richard Hickox conducting the BBC Orchestra of Wales is essential listening as I'm concerned.

J

Quote from: Elnimio on January 07, 2011, 09:07:14 PM

Yes.  There's a short and fleeting visionary passage in the last movement (of about a minute's duration) where things become very hushed and time seems to stand still which is astonishingly beautiful.  You know the place?

Popov

Quartets No. 2 and 4 plus the Lyric Movement have just been uploaded to youtube.

I just listened to the 2nd SQ. It's my first complete Rubbra work and I have loved every bit of it :)

vandermolen

Barbirolli's and Schoenzeler's recorded performances of Symphony No 5 were revelations to me and great introductions to Rubbra - followed by the fine Lyrita LPs featuring Boult with Symphony No 7 and the 6th and 8th symphonies on one LP.  Then Hickox and Del Mar's CDs of Symphony No 4 - a wonderful work. One short work I love is the beautiful 'Resurgam' on the Lyrita CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Listened to the Rubbra 7th Symphony a couple of times this week (Hickox recording). I now think this is probably his best symphony, at least of the ones I've heard. He solves the "finale problem" by putting there a really imposing passacaglia, similar to Brahms 4 but longer and more obsessive-sounding. I used to favor the 4th Symphony, but now I think the 7th is overall a solider composition.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

vandermolen

Quote from: Velimir on August 18, 2011, 11:39:07 PM
Listened to the Rubbra 7th Symphony a couple of times this week (Hickox recording). I now think this is probably his best symphony, at least of the ones I've heard. He solves the "finale problem" by putting there a really imposing passacaglia, similar to Brahms 4 but longer and more obsessive-sounding. I used to favor the 4th Symphony, but now I think the 7th is overall a solider composition.

I agree - the end of the 7th Symphony is very moving.  Do you know the Boult recording which is very fine?