Great Schubert-Liszt transcriptions

Started by Verena, August 31, 2010, 10:29:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verena

Looking for recommendations. I appreciate these transcriptions more and more, though I don't care for Liszt's other transcriptions.
Other Schubert transcription recommendations are also welcome.  :)

If I were asked, I'd probably recommend Sofronitsky, but there surely must be others who are great in this repertoire?
Don't think, but look! (PI66)

Verena

Verena

QuoteHaven't heard that, I have this one

Thanks very much! Has found its way into my shopping basket..

Mandryka

Simon Pedroni's CD sounds interesting -- maybe this thread will prompt me to buy it. You can download some samples of three Schubert Liszt songs here:

http://www.simonepedroni.com/site_english/audio.htm

There's a recording of them by Bolet.  It's shallow of course -- just lovely glittering surfaces, with no dramatic or thematic contrasts. But it is ravishing, at least in the more relaxed and lyrical numbers, and it is a valuable antedote to VVS.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Verena

QuoteSimon Pedroni's CD sounds interesting -- maybe this thread will prompt me to buy it. You can download some samples of three Schubert Liszt songs here:

http://www.simonepedroni.com/site_english/audio.htm

Thanks very much! These samples sound VERY promising. I'll buy probably buy this..  though I'd prefer to buy it through a more familiar site, such as amazon. Unfortunately, I haven't found Pedroni there.
... Bought ...  ;D

Verena

QuoteThere's a recording of them by Bolet.  It's shallow of course -- just lovely glittering surfaces, with no dramatic or thematic contrasts. But it is ravishing, at least in the more relaxed and lyrical numbers, and it is a valuable antedote to VVS.

Yes, I'm familiar with that recording. Completely agree with your characterisation of the CD

Holden

it only has four but they are absolutely superb - nothing shallow about these. The Songs Without Words are also excellent.
Cheers

Holden

Verena

Quoteit only has four but they are absolutely superb - nothing shallow about these. The Songs Without Words are also excellent.

Thanks very much, Holden! I actually ordered this recording a couple of days ago; now I'm even more looking forward to listening to it ..

Sergeant Rock

This disc is worth buying just for the "Gretchen am Spinnrade"

From the Gramophone review:

"For Liszt, Schubert was always "the most poetic of composers" and Lilya Zilberstein pays eloquent tribute to this deeply cherished view when she commences her recital with Liszt's arrangement of Schubert's Gretchen am Spinnrade. Her tempo here is daringly slow (7'23" as opposed to the youthful Evgeni Kissin's 3'25" on his DG disc). Some will find her performance drags unmercifully while others will argue that Liszt's dissonance and syncopation tell in an arresting and authentic way and that the climax—here allowed to stretch into infinity—has a truly Lisztian expansiveness and rhetoric."

Full review here

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Verena

From the Gramophone review:

"For Liszt, Schubert was always "the most poetic of composers" and Lilya Zilberstein pays eloquent tribute to this deeply cherished view when she commences her recital with Liszt's arrangement of Schubert's Gretchen am Spinnrade. Her tempo here is daringly slow (7'23" as opposed to the youthful Evgeni Kissin's 3'25" on his DG disc). Some will find her performance drags unmercifully while others will argue that Liszt's dissonance and syncopation tell in an arresting and authentic way and that the climax—here allowed to stretch into infinity—has a truly Lisztian expansiveness and rhetoric."

Thanks a lot Sarge! I had been eyeing this CD before (because of the Schubert-Liszt); I'll probably buy that track as a download, since the D 850 is not one of my favorite Schubert sonatas

BTW: Many thanks for recommending the Grimaud-Sanderling Brahms Concerto 1. It's wonderful!

George

Quote from: Mandryka on August 31, 2010, 10:30:34 PM
There's a recording of them by Bolet.  It's shallow of course -- just lovely glittering surfaces, with no dramatic or thematic contrasts. But it is ravishing, at least in the more relaxed and lyrical numbers, and it is a valuable antedote to VVS.

I have a Bolet CD with the Liszt virtuoso piano paraphrases on Ensayo. Only two are Schubert, though. Are these completely different works than the ones Verena is asking about?

Mandryka

Quote from: George on September 01, 2010, 05:07:26 PM
I have a Bolet CD with the Liszt virtuoso piano paraphrases on Ensayo. Only two are Schubert, though. Are these completely different works than the ones Verena is asking about?

I don;t know about "completely" different. This is the one we were talking about:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=56490
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

George

Quote from: Mandryka on September 01, 2010, 10:02:52 PM
I don;t know about "completely" different. This is the one we were talking about:

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=56490

Yeah, mine is completely different, recorded earlier and only including "Die Forelle" and "Serenade."