Vacation project, advise needed

Started by Black Knight, June 22, 2007, 10:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Knight

So, it is summer and I want to decide on some pieces (for piano) which I could have as a learning project throughout the vacation. However, I hear that it might be "harmful" to learn pieces that are too advanced without the aid of a teacher. I have already been assigned Rachmaninoff's prelude in C sharp minor by my teacher and also recently done the first movement of Grieg's E minor sonata and Brahms' Rhapsody in G minor (op. 79 no.2). So that is my current level.

I have already picked out a couple pieces that I am considering:

Chopin - Etude op.25 no.7 c sharp minor
Bach - Piano Concerto no.7 g minor, bwv. 1058, movement 1
Schubert - Impromptu D.899 no.1 c minor

Any of these pieces that you wouldn't advise to learn on my own? Also, feel free to recommend other pieces. I prefer something from the romantic era, but a WTC recommendation would be nice (note that I have only played the D major from the first book before).

Montpellier

Quote from: Black Knight on June 22, 2007, 10:19:36 AM
So, it is summer and I want to decide on some pieces (for piano) which I could have as a learning project throughout the vacation. However, I hear that it might be "harmful" to learn pieces that are too advanced without the aid of a teacher. I have already been assigned Rachmaninoff's prelude in C sharp minor by my teacher and also recently done the first movement of Grieg's E minor sonata and Brahms' Rhapsody in G minor (op. 79 no.2). So that is my current level.

I have already picked out a couple pieces that I am considering:

Chopin - Etude op.25 no.7 c sharp minor
Bach - Piano Concerto no.7 g minor, bwv. 1058, movement 1
Schubert - Impromptu D.899 no.1 c minor

Any of these pieces that you wouldn't advise to learn on my own? Also, feel free to recommend other pieces. I prefer something from the romantic era, but a WTC recommendation would be nice (note that I have only played the D major from the first book before).
I would say that if you're up to that standard, why not give your suggested pieces a try?  If you do get into difficulties you may have to call on a teacher so you don't acquire a bad habit.  I don't know the Schubert though.  Have you considered Chopin's Fantasie Impromptu?  That takes a fairly relaxed playing technique to carry off the 4s (RH) with the 3s (LH) at the right speed.  If you're ok with the Rachmaninov, endurance wouldn't be much of a problem.  Liszt is another romantic, he wrote various concert studies and Liebestraume - or for light relief, his Valse OubliĆ©e No 1. 

best of luck.

Bonehelm

I don't get why people say you shouldn't try hard pieces without help of a teacher. I was grade 6 RCM when I attempted and played Chopin's Ballade No.1 in g minor.

Larry Rinkel

Quote from: Bonehelm on June 23, 2007, 03:06:35 PM
I don't get why people say you shouldn't try hard pieces without help of a teacher. I was grade 6 RCM when I attempted and played Chopin's Ballade No.1 in g minor.

I agree. How about doing the Chopin 3rd ballade? That's the least demanding technically of the four. And I'd drop the Bach concerto in favor of something like a French or English suite, simply because you're not going to have an orchestra at your disposal.

Saul

Mendelssohn's fantasi in F sharp minor
A Beethoven Sonata
A Brahms Intermezzo
A Chopin Nocturne