Philip Glass: Violin concerto No.0

Started by violinconcerto, September 13, 2010, 02:16:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

violinconcerto

Hello,

recently I came across the information that Philip Glass wrote a very first violin concerto back in 1960, which is now withdrawn. Was that piece ever performed?

Best,
Tobias

Guido

Why not write to him? It'll probably be poor - if you look at what he finds acceptable, then just imagine what he doesn't think is up to scratch.  >:D
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

snyprrr

Quote from: Guido on September 13, 2010, 02:41:41 PM
if you look at what he finds acceptable,

W-I-T-H-E-R-I-N-G :-* ;D

violinconcerto,... there must be an end to this madness! For punishment, you must listen to every VC that was written for Joshua Bell!!!

MEDIC!! :P

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on September 13, 2010, 08:35:27 PM
violinconcerto,... there must be an end to this madness! For punishment, you must listen to every VC that was written for Joshua Bell!!!

Agree!!
Geologist.

violinconcerto

Quote from: snyprrr on September 13, 2010, 08:35:27 PM

how many works are dedicated to him..? I can just recall the Maw concerto (which isn't that bad) and I guess the whole bunch of Corigliano's "Red violins" are written for him. Are there more?

Guido

Geologist.

snyprrr

Joe Barron

Quote from: Guido on September 13, 2010, 02:41:41 PM... if you look at what he finds acceptable, then just imagine what he doesn't think is up to scratch.  >:D

This could work the other way, too. If Glass didn't like it, it might just be halfway decent.

Guido

Geologist.

eyeresist

The (published) violin concerto is actually pretty good, not the usual Glass piece which seems to get published under umpteen different opus numbers.