Anatoly Lyadov (1855 - 1914)

Started by Mirror Image, September 20, 2010, 01:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 11, 2011, 07:29:30 AM
Thank you, Jeffrey. :) I'll probably pickup the Brilliant Classics disc at some point as I like that "authentic Russian" sound. ;) By the way, my name is John.

My pleasure John.  Frankly, the Brilliant CD is so cheap that it's worth having as a supplement.  If you get it I'd be interested in hearing your views.  Another good thing about the Brilliant CD is that Kikimora, The Enchanted Lake and Baba-Yaga are placed one after the other, which I prefer to the Chandos CD, where they are interspersed amongst the other tracks - not a major point though.
Best wishes
Jeffrey
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 11, 2011, 11:19:20 AM
My pleasure John.  Frankly, the Brilliant CD is so cheap that it's worth having as a supplement.  If you get it I'd be interested in hearing your views.  Another good thing about the Brilliant CD is that Kikimora, The Enchanted Lake and Baba-Yaga are placed one after the other, which I prefer to the Chandos CD, where they are interspersed amongst the other tracks - not a major point though.
Best wishes
Jeffrey

Will do, Jeffrey. I'll definitely come to this thread and post my thoughts once I've heard it.

Mirror Image

Okay, Jeffrey. I can't believe that the Brilliant Classics recording DOESN'T include Village Scene by the Inn, Op. 19. I'm sorry this is just unacceptable. It shouldn't be advertised as "complete orchestral works." >:(

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 14, 2011, 07:41:19 PM
Okay, Jeffrey. I can't believe that the Brilliant Classics recording DOESN'T include Village Scene by the Inn, Op. 19. I'm sorry this is just unacceptable. It shouldn't be advertised as "complete orchestral works." >:(

Gosh - you are quite right John - I never spotted that - just as well I have both CDs!

Do you know the Dudarova CD on Olympia?
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 15, 2011, 02:31:17 AM
Gosh - you are quite right John - I never spotted that - just as well I have both CDs!

Do you know the Dudarova CD on Olympia?

I don't know the Dudarova. How is it?

Mirror Image

Jeffrey, I looked up the Dudarova disc on Olympia and not only is out-of-print but it doesn't contain Village Scene by the Inn. Why don't conductors perform this piece? It's my favorite Lyadov work next to 8 Russian Folksongs.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2011, 07:42:01 PM
Jeffrey, I looked up the Dudarova disc on Olympia and not only is out-of-print but it doesn't contain Village Scene by the Inn. Why don't conductors perform this piece? It's my favorite Lyadov work next to 8 Russian Folksongs.

I will listen to it today.

vandermolen

John - yes, 'Village Scene by the Inn' is a lovely piece - very bad that Brilliant adverise their CD as 'Complete Orchestral Works' and don't include it.

ElliotViola

(This post was moved from a new thread I started, thanks to Brewski for merging them!)

I have a less known Russian composer who I've been enjoying recently that I'd like to share, Anatol Konstantinovich Lyadov (Liadov). I've quite enjoyed the very few orchestral works he wrote. Unfortunately no symphonies, but some fantastic tone poems with incredible orchestration!

I'm currently listening to 'Baba Yaga', his Op. 56. It's got amazing energy. There's a good recording of his selection of orchestral works on Naxos Music Library- Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra with Stephen Gunzenhauser conducting.

If any of you have a subscription to the Naxos online library, try this: http://www.naxosmusiclibrary.com/catalogue/item.asp?cid=8.220348
Or here is the USSR Symphony Orchestra conducted by Evgeny Svetlanov: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAzItLBNs3w

I've gotten quite into his music as of late! He was a perfectionist with self confidence issues so never wrote much orchestral work, and never finished anything he started as he always seemed to think it was awful.

What do you think?
'Competitions are for Horses, not Artists' -Bélà Bartók.

Visit my website: http://www.elliotviola.co.uk

bhodges

Hi Elliot,

(I took the liberty of merging your post with the existing Lyadov thread.)

I've heard a number of his orchestral works, usually programmed by Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra: Kikimora, The Enchanted Lake and Baba Yaga - enjoyed them all.

--Bruce

ElliotViola

Quote from: Brewski on February 27, 2013, 10:43:42 AMI took the liberty of merging your post with the existing Lyadov thread.

I am considerably less confused now. Thanks for the explanation ;)

Quote from: Brewski on February 27, 2013, 10:43:42 AMI've heard a number of his orchestral works, usually programmed by Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky Orchestra: Kikimora, The Enchanted Lake and Baba Yaga - enjoyed them all.

Just listening to the Enchanted Lake now, absolutely adore it. Any recommendations for where to start with his piano music?

Mirror Image

Have you looked through this thread, Elliot? I started this thread and I've been singing praises for Lyadov since I joined this forum. I am a fan no question about it. I like all of his tone poems: From the Apocalypse, Kikimora, the 8 Russian Folksongs, Village Scene by the Inn, The Enchanted Lake, etc.

ElliotViola

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2013, 10:46:10 AM
Have you looked through this thread, Elliot? I started this thread and I've been singing praises for Lyadov since I joined this forum. I am a fan no question about it. I like all of his tone poems: From the Apocalypse, Kikimora, the 8 Russian Folksongs, Village Scene by the Inn, The Enchanted Lake, etc.

I am just about to, only just posted my post. I found him through my vastly talented *ahem* school orchestra playing the 8 Russian Folk Songs, and have just gotten around to listening to more of his music properly. Adore what I've heard so far, glad someone else is championing him!

bhodges

Quote from: ElliotViola on February 27, 2013, 10:45:15 AM
Just listening to the Enchanted Lake now, absolutely adore it. Any recommendations for where to start with his piano music?

I'm not that familiar with his piano works (and those don't seem to show up that often on recital programs). The only recording I've heard good comments on is this one with Stephen Coombs.

[asin]B0000063BO[/asin]

--Bruce

Mirror Image

Quote from: ElliotViola on February 27, 2013, 10:48:04 AM
I am just about to, only just posted my post. I found him through my vastly talented *ahem* school orchestra playing the 8 Russian Folk Songs, and have just gotten around to listening to more of his music properly. Adore what I've heard so far, glad someone else is championing him!

Sounds good, Eliot. :) I love the 8 Russian Folksongs. You're lucky to have heard performed that work. Anyway, enjoy the music!

ElliotViola

Just read through everything, and as Chandos is blocked on my internet connection (stupid School internet censorship) I unfortunately cannot access it. I wanted to listen to the BBC Phil recording, but it will have to wait a few weeks. I have the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra CD on Naxos playing on my laptop, and am seriously enjoying all of it.

I just found a recording of Baba-Yaga, Kikimora and The Enchanted Lake performed by the London Symphony Orchestra released by Chandos on Naxos (!), which is a really high quality recording and a good performance too! Don't know if you've considered that John?

Quote from: Brewski on February 27, 2013, 10:55:30 AM
I'm not that familiar with his piano works (and those don't seem to show up that often on recital programs). The only recording I've heard good comments on is this one with Stephen Coombs.

Currently have no money, so cannot purchase recordings unfortunately- My Naxos subscription is rather pricey. I found piano work recordings by Yoko Kikuchi, Monique Duphil and Olga Solovieva. Will be giving these a listen shortly.

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 27, 2013, 10:59:29 AM
Sounds good, Eliot. :) I love the 8 Russian Folksongs. You're to have heard them perform that work. Anyway, enjoy the music!

They are fantastically fun. I was playing Principal Viola so got to enjoy utterly milking all the brilliant solo writing for Viola in the last movement (the movement ends with a nice chugging part in the Viola's bottom range.

I definitely agree that Liadov deserves some more recognition! I love his orchestration, it's so vivid. We should certainly bother other GMG people to listen to it.

Can we include him in the March Russian Symphony Month? (tone poems sort of count)  :D

Mirror Image

Quote from: ElliotViola on February 27, 2013, 11:08:20 AM
Just read through everything, and as Chandos is blocked on my internet connection (stupid School internet censorship) I unfortunately cannot access it. I wanted to listen to the BBC Phil recording, but it will have to wait a few weeks. I have the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra CD on Naxos playing on my laptop, and am seriously enjoying all of it.

I just found a recording of Baba-Yaga, Kikimora and The Enchanted Lake performed by the London Symphony Orchestra released by Chandos on Naxos (!), which is a really high quality recording and a good performance too! Don't know if you've considered that John?

They are fantastically fun. I was playing Principal Viola so got to enjoy utterly milking all the brilliant solo writing for Viola in the last movement (the movement ends with a nice chugging part in the Viola's bottom range.

I definitely agree that Liadov deserves some more recognition! I love his orchestration, it's so vivid. We should certainly bother other GMG people to listen to it.

Can we include him in the March Russian Symphony Month (tone poems sort of count)  :D

I own almost all of the Lyadov orchestral recordings now except for that dreadful Naxos recording, which doesn't do justice to this music. The LSO recording you're talking about is with Neeme Jarvi conducting and, yes, I do own it. The Lyadov works are coupled with Stravinsky's The Firebird Suite and Rimsky-Korsakov's Dubinushka (a very short work around 2-3 minutes in length). Here's what the recording looks like:

[asin]B000000AJK[/asin]

There's not many stones that I haven't looked under when concerning the 19th and 20th Centuries. :) But my favorite Lyadov recording is the one with Sinaisky/BBC Philharmonic on Chandos which I'm sure I mentioned a page back. Anyway, glad you're enjoying the music.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Brewski on February 27, 2013, 10:55:30 AM

[asin]B0000063BO[/asin]

--Bruce
For one disc, this is a very good one. I recently picked up the set on Brilliant, but have not really gone through that yet (5 discs worth).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

snyprrr

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 15, 2011, 07:42:01 PM

duuudarova man

Who needs Beethoven when you've got The Russians?

snyprrr

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 22, 2010, 05:27:10 AM
Liadov's laziness is well known, He never did finish a work of any large size, Still, I do love the 'minatures'...

:P 

zzzz....zzzZZZzzzz.....zzZZzzzzzz.....zzzZZzzz....zz...