French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prémont

Quote from: Que on October 13, 2007, 06:54:06 AM
Indeed, for now I feel that both approaches have their attractive sides.

Q

Not unlike the situation with Rübsams two Bach cycles ´
or
Pieter-Jan Belder´s / Scott Ross´  Scarlatti ??
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on October 13, 2007, 10:10:09 AM
I read this as 1 - 0 in Spieth´s favour.

Bingo. ;D 

"J'aime mieux ce qui me touche que ce qui me surprend." - F. Couperin
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on October 14, 2007, 12:29:43 AM

I think that Hugo Reyne will update on this one in due time.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Drasko

Quote from: Bunny on June 25, 2007, 11:56:40 AM

Quote from: Que on June 26, 2007, 08:57:28 PM
I'm considering that Minkowski/Rameau!

It has to be the most purely enjoyable disc I got this year. Since is basically cut 'n' paste assemblage don't know how would it fare on some deep & profound scale but also can't say that I care one bit.   

FideLeo

Celine Frisch's recording of D'Anglebert's clavecin music contains about half of the composer's entire output in this genre.  Some of these pieces are actually transcriptions of Lully's operatic works (selections, of course), and in a separate second disc, the harpsichordist decides to give us the originals for them as well.  Cafe Zimmermann, led by violinist Pablo Valetti, here plays most stylishly and beautifully.  A great opportunity to appreciate the art of Baroque keyboard transcription firsthand via direct comparisons.

Josquin des Prez

Scott Ross is my personal benchmark for both Couperin and Rameau and i never encountered his match.

prémont

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on October 26, 2007, 12:59:25 PM
Scott Ross is my personal benchmark for both Couperin and Rameau and i never encountered his match.

Others surely did.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

FideLeo

Quote from: premont on October 26, 2007, 02:09:26 PM
Others surely did.

Yes we all have our personal benchmarks.  Scott Ross probably did, too. :)

Josquin des Prez

Quote from: premont on October 26, 2007, 02:09:26 PM
Others surely did.

Considering his name is never mentioned in this boards (except when it comes to Scarlatti, and that only grudgingly) i'd be surprised if anybody actually heard his recordings.

And of course, the fact it is I who likes him lessens his reputability a notch or two, right?   ;D

FideLeo

Quote from: Josquin des Prez on October 26, 2007, 02:45:06 PM
Considering his name is never mentioned in this boards (except when it comes to Scarlatti, and that only grudgingly) i'd be surprised if anybody actually heard his recordings.

Que will tell you that you are wrong in this account.   :)
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,9.msg95292.html#msg95292

Que

click picture for more samples

Another valuable addition to my Charpentier collection! :)
I got on the trail of conductor Olivier Schneebeli with his recordings of the Du Mont motets, discussed earlier. He shows here the same qualities as before: a master of a natural blending the choruses, solo voices and instrumental accompaniment, whilst maintaining absolute clarity in musical lines. Schneebeli creates an subtle, open en natural effect of the music organically unfolding - he does not go for the "big" effects. So, quite different from Minkowski (or Niquet?) The result is intimate yet very expressive and lively. I like it, especially in sacred music of this nature.
On the recording is a construction of a Vespers service as would be assembled at the period, consisting of various smaller vocal works. Here we have a collection of psalms and motets by Charpentier and three organ preludes written by French composer-organist Guillame-Gabriel Nivers, played at the marvelous sounding organ of the Chapelle Royale at Versailles. Choral singing is superb, boys choir included! Really excellent soloist - no quibbles whatsoever- in the persons of Robert Getchell (counter-tenor), Hervé Lamy (tenor), and Alain Buet (basso)
As far as I'm concerned: a top recommendation.

REVIEW in English & REVIEW in French

Q

Harry

What energy Que, but agree with you, exhilarating no less......

Que

I've posted a lot on my new discoveries lately, I'll do just one more for this weekend.  :)

This is my first proper encounter with Louis Couperin (c1626-1661), uncle of famous François Couperin "Le Grand". I recognised some characteristics of the style of Froberger here. And indeed, as it turns out the two men knew each other and Louis Couperin was influenced by Froberger. But Louis Couperin has an individual style and sounds preminiscent of later French harpsichord music. I'm very impressed, he writes in a more "gallant" style with more decorum than Froberger, it's less idiosyncratic and but is as reflective in nature and full of inventiveness.
An excellent discography for Louis Couperin can be found HERE.

click picture for more samples

Skip Sempé, and I very impressed by him. He strikes the right balance between profundity and vividness - probing but with a strong "pulse" and fine articulation. He has exceptional technique. It seems now my "Rousset infatuation"  ;D is fading, I've come to like several French harpsichordists: Noëlle Spieth, Céline Frisch, Blandine Rannou, Yves Rechsteiner, and now Skip Sempé. I'll definitely seek out more by him (discography), maybe some on his new private label Paradizo.
Sempé plays a harpsichord built by Bruce Kenny after a French model: a very deep, "dark wood" sound. Unfortunately that's all the information provided on the instrument, but it sounds very impressive. As always with Alpha outstandingly recorded.

Q

Drasko

According to amazon this was released two days ago but fnac says october, anyone heard it?
Looks interesting.

http://www.amazon.de/Pieces-Clavecin-Pierre-Hantai/dp/tracks/B000VIFMJA

Que

Quote from: Drasko on November 18, 2007, 03:06:43 AM
According to amazon this was released two days ago but fnac says october, anyone heard it?
Looks interesting.

Drasko, interesting indeed! Will check that out.  :)

I had this recording with music by De Lalande, conducted by Olivier Schneebeli on my iPod the last few days. De Lalande's music - he was a contemporary of Charpentier - is wonderfully delicate and sweet. Textures are light as a feather and transparent, the music joyous and dancing. I found this very attractive indeed!
The performance is really excellent and expressive. I don't agree with the comments - in the otherwise very positive review below - about occasional overstatement. IMO Schneebeli is a conductor who strikes the balance between expressiveness and an unforced development of the music just right.

The review on Musicweb.

click on picture for samples

Q

FideLeo

So that it doesn't get buried in the long "listening" thread, here it is again:

Jacques Champion de Chambonnieres. Pieces de clavecin: Suites, Pavannes & Preludes. dhm 05472 77210 2 (1 CD 1993). Skip Sempe plays an antique Flemish harpsichord. John Wall at newolde.com: "The best harpsichord recording I've heard."  I, too, think it's smashing!  :)

FideLeo

La Rhétorique des Dieux
von Lutz Kirchhof (Künstler), Gaultier/Visee/Gallot/Reusner (Komponist)

Lute compositions must be my favourite genre in French baroque music and Lutz Kirchhof has made a credible summary of it in this recording.  The recorded sound is not foggy nor twang-y and his playing is beautifully incisive with a vitality in rhythms that seems to be lost in the performances of some (notably French) musicians in this repertory. 

Que

Quote from: fl.traverso on November 24, 2007, 12:19:23 AM
La Rhétorique des Dieux
von Lutz Kirchhof (Künstler), Gaultier/Visee/Gallot/Reusner (Komponist)

Lute compositions must be my favourite genre in French baroque music and Lutz Kirchhof has made a credible summary of it in this recording.  The recorded sound is not foggy nor twang-y and his playing is beautifully incisive with a vitality in rhythms that seems to be lost in the performances of some (notably French) musicians in this repertory. 

I've enjoyed Kirchhof's Bach recordings very much - which composers are in this recording?

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on November 24, 2007, 12:27:11 AM
I've enjoyed Kirchhof's Bach recordings very much - which composers are in this recording?

Q

Gaultier (both Ennemond and Dennis)/Visee/Gallot/Reusner

Que

French baroque lovers!  :)
I'm just dropping a short note on an interesting bargain box set "200 years of Music at Versailles" that has just been released. It contains 20 CD's and a CD-ROM with liner notes, for about €50, with top performers from various labels, like Rousset, Minkowski, Niquet, Schneebeli, Christie, etc.

click on picture for a presentation of the content with samples

On Amazon: FR.

Q