French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

premont

Quote from: SonicMan on May 23, 2009, 08:35:05 AM
But, in searching for Rameau on harpsichord (now & in the past), I've looked @ the 2 discs on Naxos w/ Rowland - great price and generally good reviews;

As to Rowland´s two Rameau CDs I too enjoy them much. I find that he plays with a certain reflective "heavyness", not resulting in ponderousness but in more substantiality and interest.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

My most recent acquisition of French harpsichord music comes from Skip Sempe on his very own Paradizo label.  It's a recital of music by Royer, Marchand, Duphly, Armand-Louis Couperin, Balbastre and Corrette.  Excellent disc.

Coopmv

Quote from: Bulldog on May 26, 2009, 08:03:14 AM
My most recent acquisition of French harpsichord music comes from Skip Sempe on his very own Paradizo label.  It's a recital of music by Royer, Marchand, Duphly, Armand-Louis Couperin, Balbastre and Corrette.  Excellent disc.

I have this nice CD but it is OOP ...

FideLeo

Quote from: Coopmv on May 26, 2009, 05:30:36 PM
I have this nice CD but it is OOP ...

John Wall of the newolde fame is a fan of Skip Sempe.   At his webpage for Louis Couperin I found this miniature image of the first release of the cd above.  He calls it the best hpd recording he has heard.  Our premont has found this to be an odd bit of description though.  Nice Poussin on the original cover, in any case.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

SonicMan46

Rameau, Jean-Phillipe - Harpsichord Pieces w/ Sophie Yates on 2 discs - these arrived several days ago, so now giving each a second listen this Sunday morning; and doing a little comparison w/ the only other disc of some of these works, i.e. Albert Fuller (1926-2007) on the Helicon label; unfortunately, I do not have recordings of some of the other considerations posted a page or so back in this thread.

Ms. Yates certainly meets the expectations of the reviews (links given previously; more short comments HERE) that I read before ordering these two discs.  First, I love the harpsichord that she is using, a copy by Andrew Garlick of a Goujon instrument dating from 1749; the sound is 'lighter' and just more delicate, not that she can't pound some dynamic playing on those strings when needed.  Her playing is assured, light and flowing when needed especially in the faster movements of these remarkably varied compositions.  The Chandos sound as expected is well done & 'up front' -  :D

Robert Fuller was an American pioneer in the early music movement and his credentials are impeccable; this is an older recording from 1987 (vs. 1999/2003 for Yates); Fuller's harpsichord was built by William Hyman and was designed after Francois Blanchet, a Parisian instrument builder around Rameau's period.  This harpsichord sounds different w/ fuller sonics and played beautifully by Fuller w/ great dynamics, but Yates 'keeps up' in that area - I was going to 'cull out' this disc from my collection, but after listening and also reviewing Fuller's story and that of the tragically 'short-lived' Hyman, a definite keeper for me.

Now I have not heard the other 'contenders' posted earlier in these works, i.e. Rousset or Rowland, and I'm sure their sounds & performances will similarly be different - I've really enjoyed Rousset in other performances that I own, so probably would in Rameau; the bottom line seems to be that there is some good Rameau harpsichord recordings from which to choose, and one recording or set may not be enough!  ;D

Coopmv

Quote from: SonicMan on May 31, 2009, 08:51:30 AM
Rameau, Jean-Phillipe - Harpsichord Pieces w/ Sophie Yates on 2 discs - these arrived several days ago, so now giving each a second listen this Sunday morning; and doing a little comparison w/ the only other disc of some of these works, i.e. Albert Fuller (1926-2007) on the Helicon label; unfortunately, I do not have recordings of some of the other considerations posted a page or so back in this thread.

Ms. Yates certainly meets the expectations of the reviews (links given previously; more short comments HERE) that I read before ordering these two discs.  First, I love the harpsichord that she is using, a copy by Andrew Garlick of a Goujon instrument dating from 1749; the sound is 'lighter' and just more delicate, not that she can't pound some dynamic playing on those strings when needed.  Her playing is assured, light and flowing when needed especially in the faster movements of these remarkably varied compositions.  The Chandos sound as expected is well done & 'up front' -  :D

Robert Fuller was an American pioneer in the early music movement and his credentials are impeccable; this is an older recording from 1987 (vs. 1999/2003 for Yates); Fuller's harpsichord was built by William Hyman and was designed after Francois Blanchet, a Parisian instrument builder around Rameau's period.  This harpsichord sounds different w/ fuller sonics and played beautifully by Fuller w/ great dynamics, but Yates 'keeps up' in that area - I was going to 'cull out' this disc from my collection, but after listening and also reviewing Fuller's story and that of the tragically 'short-lived' Hyman, a definite keeper for me.

Now I have not heard the other 'contenders' posted earlier in these works, i.e. Rousset or Rowland, and I'm sure their sounds & performances will similarly be different - I've really enjoyed Rousset in other performances that I own, so probably would in Rameau; the bottom line seems to be that there is some good Rameau harpsichord recordings from which to choose, and one recording or set may not be enough!  ;D

Dave,  Very informative first review.  I am not familiar with Robert Fuller but really enjoy the few Christophe Rousset CD's I have.  As you probably know, Rousset was an associate of Christopher Hogwood and they performed in a number of recordings together ...

Drasko

Quote from: SonicMan on May 22, 2009, 03:21:20 PM
At the same time, I purchased a 'short' book (below, right) - The mirror of human life:  Reflections on Francois Couperin's Pieces de Clavecin by Jane Clark & Derek Connon (2002), which is delightful to read while listening to these works (did not do a thorough comparison but worth another attempt!); apparently, many of these pieces were portrayals of Couperin's times and the people he knew and pictured aurally in his works - not a great description but an inkling of 'bringing to life' these compositions!  Dave  :)

Dave, where did you find that book? I'd love to read it but it seems to be out of print everywhere I tried looking for it.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Drasko on June 03, 2009, 01:35:29 PM
Dave, where did you find that book? I'd love to read it but it seems to be out of print everywhere I tried looking for it.

Hi Milos - glad that you returned!  :D

Below is my receipt for the book (still store in my Yahoo account) - Amazon Marketplace - not sure if the book is still available from them but has been just 6 months?  I need to do a complete 're-listening' in stages to try to better appreciate these pieces - hope that you can find it!  Dave   :)

********************************************************************************************************

Amazon Marketplace Receipt

Date:                07-December-2008

Order #:             058-2868525-4413157

1 of The Mirror of Human Life: Reflections on Francois Couperin's
"Pieces De... $20.00

Seller:              rhinebeckrecords@frontiernet.net
Shipping & Handling: $3.99
Your Total:          $23.99

Drasko

Thanks, Dave.

Unfortunately there are no more used copies offered through amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Human-Life-Reflections-Couperins/dp/1871775108

Managed to find publisher's website though, they publish mostly facsimil scores and the book isn't listed anywhere but I will try e-mailing them anyhow:
http://www.kings-music.co.uk/index.htm

Lilas Pastia

Coop, what do you think of the Corrette Mass ?

Coopmv

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 03, 2009, 05:31:57 PM
Coop, what do you think of the Corrette Mass ?

Are you referring to this CD I played last week?

Lilas Pastia

Coopmv

Quote from: Lilas Pastia on June 03, 2009, 05:37:04 PM
Yes, exactly! Any good?

It is generally delightful organ works, though I found the organ works by Michel Corrette, Gaspard's son, are better.  BTW, some male vocalist, singing in the Gregorian chants fashion, accompanied the organ music ...

Henk

Don't know if someone mentioned it yet but this 20-cd-box has been released recently:

A special website has been made for this set: http://www.baroqueboxset.com/

Elgarian

Quote from: Henk on June 04, 2009, 04:01:52 AM
Don't know if someone mentioned it yet but this 20-cd-box has been released recently:

Singlehandedly, that box set turned me from being someone with no interest in Baroque music to someone whose passion for it can't be satisfied. It was the most rewarding CD box purchase I've made in the last ten years.

Coopmv

Quote from: Henk on June 04, 2009, 04:01:52 AM

Does any GMG member currently own this set?  At $79, this set seems to offer excellent values if only the shipping from Europe to the US does not cost a fortune.

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on June 04, 2009, 05:34:39 PM
Does any GMG member currently own this set?  At $79, this set seems to offer excellent values if only the shipping from Europe to the US does not cost a fortune.

If I were you I would go through the last couple pages of this thread.

Q

Elgarian

Quote from: Coopmv on June 04, 2009, 05:34:39 PM
Does any GMG member currently own this set?

Yes (see the post before yours, above).

I've written something about it here in this forum:
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,4431.120.html (scroll down to post #133);

and also, very extensively, on another forum here:
http://www.talkclassical.com/3934-200-years-music-versailles.html

Que

Though comparisons as these are tricky, conceptually this set of suites for viol (viola da gamba) by Sainte Colombe le Fils ("the younger") is similar to Bach's suites for cello: six unaccompanied solo suites, with movements based on dances. And it is wonderfull, very worthy, inward looking but inventive and touching music. Though Sainte Colombe had moved to England, this is very French music. Hard to describe - give it a listen! :)
As to the performace - thumbs up for Savall. Unlike in Marais there is no trace of the theatrics and aplomb he displays there. Here his approach is that of intense sobriety, this is the best Savall as a gambist I've heard - outclassing his Marais.

So, seriously recommended.
I believe this could/should be the cornerstone of any collection of gamba music.

sTisTi

Quote from: Que on July 09, 2009, 11:02:28 PM

Though comparisons as these are tricky, conceptually this set of suites for viol (viola da gamba) by Sainte Colombe le Fils ("the younger") is similar to Bach's suites for cello: six unaccompanied solo suites, with movements based on dances. And it is wonderfull, very worthy, inward looking but inventive and touching music. Though Sainte Colombe had moved to England, this is very French music. Hard to describe - give it a listen! :)
As to the performace - thumbs up for Savall. Unlike in Marais there is no trace of the theatrics and aplomb he displays there. Here his approach is that of intense sobriety, this is the best Savall as a gambist I've heard - outclassing his Marais.

So, seriously recommended.
I believe this could/should be the cornerstone of any collection of gamba music.

Thanks for the recommendation! Here's another serious contender in this repertoire that I enjoy very much: Paolo Pandolfo.