French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coopmv

Quote from: Que on July 09, 2009, 11:02:28 PM

Though comparisons as these are tricky, conceptually this set of suites for viol (viola da gamba) by Sainte Colombe le Fils ("the younger") is similar to Bach's suites for cello: six unaccompanied solo suites, with movements based on dances. And it is wonderfull, very worthy, inward looking but inventive and touching music. Though Sainte Colombe had moved to England, this is very French music. Hard to describe - give it a listen! :)
As to the performace - thumbs up for Savall. Unlike in Marais there is no trace of the theatrics and aplomb he displays there. Here his approach is that of intense sobriety, this is the best Savall as a gambist I've heard - outclassing his Marais.

So, seriously recommended.
I believe this could/should be the cornerstone of any collection of gamba music.

This has to be on my shopping list ...

SonicMan46

Quote from: Que on July 09, 2009, 11:02:28 PM

Que - I've had that recording for a while, and it is listed in my 'classical music' database printout, but I can't find it!   :o  Will keep lookin' this weekend & give it a spin - Dave  ;D

Drasko

Quote from: SonicMan on July 11, 2009, 06:53:51 AM
Que - I've had that recording for a while, and it is listed in my 'classical music' database printout, but I can't find it!   :o  Will keep lookin' this weekend & give it a spin - Dave  ;D

Dave, maybe you have it as part of this triple CD set with some Marais, and thus placed somewhere else on the shelves?

Que

Quote from: sTisTi on July 11, 2009, 06:21:33 AM
Thanks for the recommendation! Here's another serious contender in this repertoire that I enjoy very much: Paolo Pandolfo.

Did not know of that issue - looks great! :) Pandolfo is a super gamba player.
BTW is that Sainte Colombe sr.?

Quote from: Drasko on July 11, 2009, 07:27:25 AM
Dave, maybe you have it as part of this triple CD set with some Marais, and thus placed somewhere else on the shelves?

I got it like that as well - great bargain!  :)  And just took out the Marais & Sainte Colombe (jr.) items, which are separately packaged like the regular issues.

FideLeo

HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Antoine Marchand

Another cornerstone in the Sainte-Colombe's discography are the 67 Concerts a deux violes esgales, contained in 4 double-CDs recorded on Atma and performed by "Les Voix Humaines" (Margaret Little and Susie Napper, bass viols).

"A natural son of Sainte-Colombe related that when his father played a Sarabande on his own fashion for a man who had come to hear him, the man was so moved that he fell in a swoon" (Pierre-Louis d'Aquin de Château-Lyon, Le Siecle Littéraire de Louis XV, 1754).

:)

Antoine Marchand

Georges de la Tour (1593-1652)

The Cheat with the Ace of Diamonds
Fr.: Le Tricheur à l'as de carreau

SonicMan46

Quote from: Drasko on July 11, 2009, 07:27:25 AM

Hi Milos - found the Sainte Colombe et Fils - mixed up in my 'small box sets' which need to be better organized; but thanks for the reminder on Marais - have yet to explore that composer!  :-\   Dave

Que

Quote from: masolino on July 11, 2009, 07:53:57 AM
Monsieur de Sainte-Colombe in wiki

That's senior: Sainte Colombe "Le Père" (the father/ the elder).

Q

FideLeo

Quote from: Que on July 11, 2009, 02:37:37 PM
That's senior: Sainte Colombe "Le Père" (the father/ the elder).

Q

That's right: "M. de Sainte-Colombe" refers only to the father.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Elgarian

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67447

Don't miss this (extensive samples at the link above). If you don't act quickly it'll be gone. It's in Hyperion's 'Bottom Ten' sale, for £4.80 post free, and my guess is it won't be there after Friday, when they're likely to post another different ten.

It's Rameau, it's Carolyn Sampson, and it's gorgeous. I'm already impatient for my copy to arrive.

Drasko

Quote from: Elgarian on July 29, 2009, 12:19:32 PM

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67447

Don't miss this (extensive samples at the link above). If you don't act quickly it'll be gone. It's in Hyperion's 'Bottom Ten' sale, for £4.80 post free, and my guess is it won't be there after Friday, when they're likely to post another different ten.

It's Rameau, it's Carolyn Sampson, and it's gorgeous. I'm already impatient for my copy to arrive.

Thanks for the tip, ordered it. I've noticed the disc before but at full price wasn't really interested.

Coopmv

Quote from: Drasko on July 30, 2009, 07:03:12 AM
Thanks for the tip, ordered it. I've noticed the disc before but at full price wasn't really interested.

At half the list price, many me-too recordings will suddenly become attractive ...

Elgarian

Ladies and Gentlemen, I tell you now: if you missed this when it was at bargain price a few days ago, you've missed a treat. Now I know it exists, and now that I've listened to it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at full price. She sings ravishingly well. Heck, I'm not a Rameau expert, nor an expert on the French language, but she sings these wonderfully tuneful plums of Rameau's with total conviction and wonderful sensitivity. I'd never have thought she wasn't French just by listening - this recording simply oozes eighteenth-century Frenchness. Hard to say for sure after just one listening, but this could easily become a favourite collection.

Que

Quote from: Elgarian on August 07, 2009, 12:48:25 PM
Ladies and Gentlemen, I tell you now: if you missed this when it was at bargain price a few days ago, you've missed a treat. Now I know it exists, and now that I've listened to it, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one at full price. She sings ravishingly well. Heck, I'm not a Rameau expert, nor an expert on the French language, but she sings these wonderfully tuneful plums of Rameau's with total conviction and wonderful sensitivity. I'd never have thought she wasn't French just by listening - this recording simply oozes eighteenth-century Frenchness. Hard to say for sure after just one listening, but this could easily become a favourite collection.

Elgarian, this is something that might interest you:

Quote from: Que on April 17, 2008, 12:22:37 AM
A gorgeous sounding collection of viol music, purely instrumental or as accompaniment in songs, from the early French Baroque (during the reign of Louis XIII).  Instrumental works by: Louis Couperin, Du Mont, Métru, Moulinié, Vallet, Le Jeune, Du Caurroy and Roberday. Songs by: Boesset, Guédron, Thibaud de Courville, Cadéac, Le Jeune and Du Mont.

This disc - that I got as a bargain - pleasantly surprised me. I'm somewhat prejudiced against "hotchpotch" programming, but in this case it is a major strength of the recording. A superb disc for which I have nothing but praise. The ensemble L' Amoroso, consisting of three viols and a violin, accompanied by a theorbo, lute, harpsichord or organ is topnotch - what exquisite music making! And beautifully recorded. More praise for soprano Caroline Pelon: beautiful voice and very idiomatic singing - she effectively projects the emotions in the texts (which are fortunately provided with translations). Music is of excellent quality and here plays the intelligent programming a major role: the mix of instrumental music and songs of different but related composers makes for very varied and interesting listening. Add to that superb performances and we have a winner. Strongly recommended.  :)

Q

Elgarian

Thanks for this Que. Speaking purely of personal preference this is a little early for me (I'm more of a Francois Couperin fan than a Louis), but those extracts do sound very lovely. I'll keep an eye open for a bargain copy.

Elgarian

Quote from: Drasko on September 10, 2009, 06:41:54 AM
In which case don't miss Armide, still my favorite Lully tragedie en musique. But avoid the truncated Naxos recording, Herreweghe on HM is the way to go.
Thanks for this - recommendation noted and added to my list.

Que

Quoting this here for safe keeping - many thanks to Drasko for his elaborate review/response!! :)

Q

Quote from: Drasko on September 12, 2009, 09:11:17 AM

It's very good. Main item on the menu is Lisle de Delos, half an hour long full blown Regency Italianate cantata on Arcadian themes with arias being da capo, richly scored orchestral interludes, one bouncy Muzette being quite catchy, and often obbligato accompaniment to the arias (particularly beautiful Simphonie de Rossignol where obbligato flute is imitating nightingale in aria about Philomela). Maybe not tremendously profound but very beautiful piece definitely worth of repeated attention.
Second piece on the disc is the least interesting. Harpsichord suite is from much earlier period in Mlle La Guerre career (1687 as opposed to 1716 for Lisle de Delos) and it is in style of Chambonnieres and Louis Couperin, comprised of standard dance movements but seriously lacking in memorability, or maybe it's Mlle Soly's playing, or probably both.
Third piece, Jonas, is something of curiosity - a sacred cantata, rara avis in french baroque, Mlle La Guerre wrote a dozen around beginning of 18th century and this is one of them. Symphonie is more moderate (violin, bass viol, harpsichord and positiv organ) and it's almost half shorter than Lisle. This one is in standard Recitatif-Air (x4) form with instumental prelude and one interlude depicting the tempest. Less melodic and overtly beautiful than secular one but far more dramatic and narrative driven, makes very good contrast to the main course.
With high lying soprano of Isabelle Desrorchers you're probably familiar, at least from Delalande's Lecons des Tenebres. Orchestral playing is excellent, especially flute in Lisle and violin in Jonas. Recording quality is good, booklet gives full texts and english translation, article on mlle La Guerre but nothing on the music itself.

Coopmv

This is still on my shopping list and should be in my collection by the end of this year.  While the set is now available stateside, I will buy it from MDT, which has better price even after shipping ...

Drasko

This year is 30th anniversary of Les Arts Florissants and their discography is large enough that hoping French baroque fan could have expected some serious goodness (nicely boxed, at reduced prices naturally).
And here is with what Virgin has treated us ...

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//6871920.htm

... single disc of excerpts :P

Not to look stupid next to competition Warner/Erato comes up with 6 CD box set, of bloody excerpts :o Who on earth is going to buy that?

http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//2564686863.htm

Harmonia Mundi is at least reissuing some classic recordings as Lully's Atys or some Monteverdi and Gesualdo, few more wouldn't hurt though.