French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milk

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on June 25, 2011, 11:34:33 PM

A 3-CD set with the complete organ music of Louis Couperin (1626-1661). Davitt Moroney plays the organ of the Abbaye de Saint-Michel-en-Thiérache, built by Jean Boizard in 1714.

I hate to recommend hard-to-find items, but this issue on Tempéraments (TEM 316001/3 (1995) is really something.... In 1957 a private collector rediscovered 68 unknown organ compositions by Louis Couperin, uncle of François. Only in the early nineties a publication of the works was prepared by Davitt Moroney and in these recordings from 1995 he also premiered the music on recording.

And what wonderful music and what wonderful recording it is!  :o :)I'm still discovering the French organ school, but this is surely the best I've heard so far. Louis Couperin emerges as a tremendous organ composer. Pride of place take the two stunning Cycles de Fugues et Fantaisies that take over half of the three disc. They are preceded by just over one disc of more traditional styled music, mostly in plein jeu. These cycles of fugues outshine even any of his efforts for the harpsichord that I have heard. It seems that before it was a similar, smaller cycle of Fugues et caprices by François Roberday was pointed out of being the equivalent from the French baroque of later examples by Bach. However fine that cycle is (more about it later), Louis Couperin is the real thing. Beautiful are these fugues: subtle, inventive, expressive, delectable and very touching. Couperin was befriended with Froberger and was through him exposed to Italian influences which are clearly noticeable in these cycles.
Amazing how a rediscovery of lost music can change the outlook of a composer and of a whole era. :o

Anyway: all organ buffs take heed if this set happens to come your way!

Q

Since you mention LC: I've really been in love with this recording (harpsichord) for a long time. I'm a fan of Rousset, but after purchasing his recent Louis Couperin recording I realized I couldn't listen to it much. Sempe really delivers magic on this one and I come back to it again and again. I'm trying to overcome an organ allergy!

Coopmv

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on July 04, 2011, 10:28:40 PM

Continuing my French harpsichord adventure. :)

Q

Just bookmarked this composer on Amazon to get ready for the next conquest ...   ;)

Que

Quote from: Coopmv on July 05, 2011, 06:42:40 PM
Just bookmarked this composer on Amazon to get ready for the next conquest ...   ;)

Jacques Duphly was one of the last in the line of the great French harpsichord tradition, together with Armand-Louis Coperin and Claude-Bénigne Balbastre. It is actually my recent acquintance with Balbastre's music (set by Mitzi Meyerson) that has lead me to Duphly.

He gets a mixed press - he is  by some considered a minor, less insprired composer. He is totally new to me, but the samples sounded interesting enough (bright, lively music) to give it a try.

We'll see! :)

Q

PaulSC

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on July 05, 2011, 09:24:15 PM
Jacques Duphly was one of the last in the line of the great French harpsichord tradition, together with Armand-Louis Coperin and Claude-Bénigne Balbastre. It is actually my recent acquintance with Balbastre's music (set by Mitzi Meyerson) that has lead me to Duphly.

He gets a mixed press - he is  by some considered a minor, less insprired composer. He is totally new to me, but the samples sounded interesting enough (bright, lively music) to give it a try.

We'll see! :)

Q

I hope you enjoy this music as much as I do, Q. Duphly was certainly uneven, and the later livres in particular get a bit shallow, relying on devices like Alberti bass that must have seemed novel once but now seem cliché. But there's no shortage of inspiration in his best work. Overall, I prefer his exquisite lyricism to the flash and pomp of Balbastre.

I'd say without hesitation that the D minor Allemande from Duphly's première livre is as charming a work as any the great clavicenistes ever wrote. Brosse is very good in this repertoire, but my favorite Duphly disc comes from his labelmate Mario Raskin.

http://amzn.com/B004EXHNHW
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on July 04, 2011, 10:28:40 PM

Continuing my French harpsichord adventure. :)

Q

This is another excellent disc devoted to Duphly:

http://www.amazon.de/Cembalomusik-Roberts-Perl/dp/B00000HYTI/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1310008443&sr=1-3

... beautifully played by the American harpsichordist Kathy Roberts Perl.

http://www.kathyrobertsperl.com/index.php

:)

Que

Quote from: PaulSC on July 06, 2011, 08:44:03 AM
I hope you enjoy this music as much as I do, Q. Duphly was certainly uneven, and the later livres in particular get a bit shallow, relying on devices like Alberti bass that must have seemed novel once but now seem cliché. But there's no shortage of inspiration in his best work. Overall, I prefer his exquisite lyricism to the flash and pomp of Balbastre.

I'd say without hesitation that the D minor Allemande from Duphly's première livre is as charming a work as any the great clavicenistes ever wrote. Brosse is very good in this repertoire, but my favorite Duphly disc comes from his labelmate Mario Raskin.

http://amzn.com/B004EXHNHW
Quote from: toñito on July 06, 2011, 07:22:31 PM
This is another excellent disc devoted to Duphly:

Thank you both! :) Having rather completist tendencies  ;D I looked firstly at what complete series were available. As far as I know, Jean-Patrice Brosse is the only show in town and it was a good occasion to try him out. A previous complete Dulphy cycle by Yannick Le Gaillard is OP - I have his Forqueray which is quite nice, the Gramophone review of the Dulphy set shows reservations.

But yes, I'll gladly take some recitals into consideration as well. :) I also spotted a disc by Mitzi Meyerson (MDG) and Elisabeth Joyé (Alpha).

Q

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on July 06, 2011, 10:26:00 PM
But yes, I'll gladly take some recitals into consideration as well. :) I also spotted a disc by Mitzi Meyerson (MDG) and Elisabeth Joyé (Alpha).

I forget Elisabeth Joyé, which is quite incredible because her disc is one of my favorite discs of French Baroque on harpsichord... As a harpsichordist she has one of the most beautiful and subtle "touch" in town.

[asin]B002AHJU66[/asin]

http://www.outhere-music.com/store-Alpha_150

milk

Allright so what do people think of Couperin's Concerts royaux? I'm a big fan of Rameau's Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts and of course the Brandenburgs. I'm looking at several different recordings of Concerts Royaux. I'm trying to avoid versions that favor the flute as I lately have a low tolerance for the flute. My questions are, 1. do people here think these works rival the Rameau works? What do people think of these pieces? And 2. What recordings do people favor? Savall? Thanks!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: milk on July 08, 2011, 06:17:07 AM
Allright so what do people think of Couperin's Concerts royaux? I'm a big fan of Rameau's Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts and of course the Brandenburgs. I'm looking at several different recordings of Concerts Royaux. I'm trying to avoid versions that favor the flute as I lately have a low tolerance for the flute. My questions are, 1. do people here think these works rival the Rameau works? What do people think of these pieces? And 2. What recordings do people favor? Savall? Thanks!

I tend to favor this old version:

[asin]B000009MN4[/asin]

The sound quality is excellent (as usual with Wolff Erichson productions).

Have you thought to try Les Nations, a collection intimately related to the Concerts royaux? I mean it's possible to find some extra instrumental variety there. The Kuijkens have a beautiful and highly recommendable version:

PaulSC

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on July 06, 2011, 10:26:00 PM
Having rather completist tendencies  ;D I looked firstly at what complete series were available. As far as I know, Jean-Patrice Brosse is the only show in town and it was a good occasion to try him out.
Ah, I know that sentiment well. (But sometimes I try to resist!) In this case Brosse is well worth having and will help you decide how far you want to go with other interpreters.

Speaking of completism  ;D I'm about to spring for Olivier Baumont's Chambonnières set, based in part on your endorsement IIRC.

milk

Quote from: toñito on July 08, 2011, 07:29:26 AM
I tend to favor this old version:

[asin]B000009MN4[/asin]

The sound quality is excellent (as usual with Wolff Erichson productions).

Have you thought to try Les Nations, a collection intimately related to the Concerts royaux? I mean it's possible to find some extra instrumental variety there. The Kuijkens have a beautiful and highly recommendable version:

How do you rate these compositions? I love Rameau's Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts. I cherish the version by Sonnerie. I also quite like the Kuijken version. How do Couperin's chamber pieces stand up to Rameau's? I see a version Savall did with Gamba, Therbo, guitar and other instruments. It seems also to be recommended. I'm curious what kind of guitar ends up on a period recording (a baroque guitar?). I also see that Rinaldo Alessandrini has an acclaimed version with gamba. Lately I've been very interested in Gamba recordings. 

Que

Quote from: PaulSC on July 08, 2011, 07:53:19 AM
I'm about to spring for Olivier Baumont's Chambonnières set, based in part on your endorsement IIRC.

Did you get it? I hope you like it! :)

Anyway,  I've been occupied with a (for me) new French Baroque composer, Nicolas (Antoine) Lebègue (c. 1631 – 1702). To place Lebègue in the French harpsichord lineage: he came after Jacques Champion de Chambonnières and Louis Couperin, and his collection of harpsichord was the first to be published after that of De Chambonnières. Students of Lebègue include François d'Agincour (previously discussed HERE) and Nicolas Grigny. I also got a recording of Lebègue's 1st organ book (he was a celebrated organist), on which later. But it helped me to form an image of this composer.

Lebègue has not the frivolity of his teacher Chambonnières, pieces have no mysterious nicknames but formal names like Prelude, Allemande, Courante, etc. The music also sounds more formal in a way - I hear some Italian influence here and there (Frescobaldi?) - though Lebègue seems less focused on intellectual rigour than Louis Couperin but more on longer melodic lines and harmonic treatment. The end result is are sober but bright and melodic pieces, expressively played. Though Lebègue's music may not reach the heights of either De Chambonnières or Louis Couperin, I enjoyed this disc very much and would recommend it to those who want to delve deeper into the French harpsichord tradition - like me. :)

The disc contains the complete works for harpsichord in two Books, the 1st from 1677 and the 2nd from 1687. They were published in Amsterdam and were known throughout Europe.

Canadian Bibiane Lapointe studied with Scott Ross and Ton Koopman. She is part of the French Baroque ensemble "Les Cyclopes" and sounds like an excellent harpsichordist. She plays here a double-manual harpschord by Bruce Kennedy after French 17th c. models.

Q

milk

I've really been enjoying this recording a lot lately. Wonderful music and wonderful performances!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: milk on July 09, 2011, 07:50:45 AM
How do you rate these compositions? I love Rameau's Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts. I cherish the version by Sonnerie. I also quite like the Kuijken version. How do Couperin's chamber pieces stand up to Rameau's? I see a version Savall did with Gamba, Therbo, guitar and other instruments. It seems also to be recommended. I'm curious what kind of guitar ends up on a period recording (a baroque guitar?). I also see that Rinaldo Alessandrini has an acclaimed version with gamba. Lately I've been very interested in Gamba recordings.

Sorry, milk, I didn't see your message before. I think Couperin was a great composer, too. All these works are excellent and a formidable demonstration of the composer's stylistic concerns, but the comparison with Rameau's Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts is difficult to me because this is the French Baroque music that I enjoy the most. I don't own the Sonnerie, but it sounds like a great recommendation. My favourite version is Rousset/Terakado/Uemura (HM); I also like very much the Kuijkens and Rannou.     

BTW, did you purchase Savall's Concert Royaux? I considered this disc many times, but I never pulled the trigger.

milk

Quote from: toñito on August 07, 2011, 09:02:57 AM
Sorry, milk, I didn't see your message before. I think Couperin was a great composer, too. All these works are excellent and a formidable demonstration of the composer's stylistic concerns, but the comparison with Rameau's Pièces de Clavecin en Concerts is difficult to me because this is the French Baroque music that I enjoy the most. I don't own the Sonnerie, but it sounds like a great recommendation. My favourite version is Rousset/Terakado/Uemura (HM); I also like very much the Kuijkens and Rannou.     

BTW, did you purchase Savall's Concert Royaux? I considered this disc many times, but I never pulled the trigger.

I haven't purchased Savall's Concert Royaux yet. I guess it's next on my list. I've been really into Gamba lately - I probably should get the Savall. I also have the Kuijken Rameau. I like it. It has more variety in instrumentation than the Sonnerie (the Sonnerie recording doesn't change up with Flute). But I love the Sonnerie recording. Being into Gamba lately I've been buying Pandolfo's Marais recordings. These are also quite nice. 

PaulSC

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on August 07, 2011, 12:20:52 AM
Did you get [Baumont's Chambonnières set]? I hope you like it! :)

Today, I finally bought that Chambonnières recording, along with two recordings of Lebègue (Lapointe playing the harpsichord works and Thierry Maeder playing selected organ works) and a recording of the two organ masses of François Couperin performed by Philippe Lefebvre. All but the last of these purchases were influenced by you. And now, I have a lot of pleasurable listening to look forward to.

Cheers!

Que

Quote from: PaulSC on August 10, 2011, 04:29:08 PM
Today, I finally bought that Chambonnières recording, along with two recordings of Lebègue (Lapointe playing the harpsichord works and Thierry Maeder playing selected organ works) and a recording of the two organ masses of François Couperin performed by Philippe Lefebvre. All but the last of these purchases were influenced by you. And now, I have a lot of pleasurable listening to look forward to.

Cheers!

Quote from: PaulSC on August 11, 2011, 02:57:49 PM
I do often buy in MP3 format. I'm happy with the sound quality, and I have physical disabilities that make it harder for me to handle CDs and other physical media. When I buy downloads, the whole process of shopping, buying, and listening is something I can do without needing the help of an assistant.

I gave about half of the Baumont/Chambonnières a first listen earlier today and am very pleased. There's a lot of compositional variety — pieces with long, spun-out phrases; pseudo-imitative textures; low-register writing that suggests a gamba consort... Baumont's ornamentation is graceful and well controlled.

Happy you like the Chambonnières! :) The recitation - or eulogy - at the start of the 1st disc is maybe a bit startling! :D (I recall it caught our Harry off guard!  ;D) At first the earlier, less elaborate music of Chambonnières seemed a step back but I must say it kind of grew on me. It's has a sobriety in the mould of the French gamba tradition, milk just referred to. Baumont indeed does a superb job in tastefull phrasing and ornamentation.

So you went for the "other" Lebègue organ disc on Arion  8) - the single disc with the selections by Maeder (The Brosse is a double disc with the complete 1st book) Maeder's got a Diapson d'or and rather good press - I'm keen to hear what you think. :)

That Couperin Organ Masses issue with Lefèbre looks damn tasty! They must sound quite grand, considering the organs? I have the recordings by Jean- Charles Ablitzer (Harmonic), recorded on smaller, rather rustic sounding organs (love the character of it!) and plain chant with the Ensemble Organum in the Paroisses mass

Q

Que

Once in a while, I stumble upon an extra-special. And getting to know these six harpsichord suites by the London based French composer Charles (François) Dieupart is one of those happy moments! :) The assumption is that Bach was influenced by this collection that was published in 1701 in Amsterdam. These suites were also published in a version for a basso continuo and a treble instrument (recorder). Bach and Johann Gottfried Walther are known to have copied out several compositions by Dieupart. This possible connection might also explain the "Englishness" of Bach's English Suites, that sound not very English at all.

Well, after hearing this, I'm pretty much convinced that Bach indeed was inspired by these compositions. These compositions are formally structured in the same way as Bach's suites. They have a French foundation with clear Italian and English influences - very fleet yet with an airy and dreamy quality to them. The result is more than the sum of the parts - a beautiful and intriguing synthesis with no lack of invention or originality! :)

Because of this I think this music has/should have a much wider appeal than just French Baroque enthusiasts. Huguette Grémy-Chauliac, who once taught Scott Ross, plays a harpsichord by William Dowd after Pascal Taskin 1770. She is mainly a teacher but I was very impressed by the quality of the performance that sounds idiomatically French in its roots, without overstating.

A pity there are only two versions of the harpsichord version around - this and one by Joseph Payne (Centaur) - both on tiny labels. These works deserve much more exposure!

Strongly recommended. :)

Q

Coopmv

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on August 12, 2011, 04:42:25 AM

Once in a while, I stumble upon an extra-special. And getting to know these six harpsichord suites by the London based French composer Charles (François) Dieupart is one of those happy moments! :) The assumption is that Bach was influenced by this collection that was published in 1701 in Amsterdam. These suites were also published in a version for a basso continuo and a treble instrument (recorder). Bach and Johann Gottfried Walther are known to have copied out several compositions by Dieupart. This possible connection might also explain the "Englishness" of Bach's English Suites, that sound not very English at all.

Well, after hearing this, I'm pretty much convinced that Bach indeed was inspired by these compositions. These compositions are formally structured in the same way as Bach's suites. They have a French foundation with clear Italian and English influences - very fleet yet with an airy and dreamy quality to them. The result is more than the sum of the parts - a beautiful end intriguing synthesis with no lack of invention or originality! :)

Because of this I think this music has/should have a much wider appeal than just French Baroque enthusiasts. Huguette Grémy-Chauliac, who once taught Scott Ross, plays a harpsichord by William Dowd after Pascal Taskin 1770. She is mainly a teacher but I was very impressed by the quality of the performance that sounds idiomatically French in its roots, without overstating.

Strongly recommended. A pity there are only two versions of the harpsichord version around - this and one by Joseph Payne (Centaur) - both on tiny labels. These works deserve much more exposure!

Strongly recommended. :)

Q

Thanks Q.  Just bookmarked this recording ...   :)

PaulSC

Quote from: ~ Que ~ on August 12, 2011, 12:58:07 AM
Happy you like the Chambonnières! :) The recitation - or eulogy - at the start of the 1st disc is maybe a bit startling! :D (I recall it caught our Harry off guard!  ;D)

Yes, the recitation was a bit of a surprise — brought to mind Van Asperen's Froberger disc, "Pour passer la mélancolie"!

QuoteThat Couperin Organ Masses issue with Lefèbre looks damn tasty! They must sound quite grand, considering the organs? I have the recordings by Jean- Charles Ablitzer (Harmonic), recorded on smaller, rather rustic sounding organs (love the character of it!) and plain chant with the Ensemble Organum in the Paroisses mass

Q

I like what I've heard of the Lefebvre, but would like to hear the Ablitzer to get a sense of how the instruments compare. The music itself doesn't strike me as grand, not like what I hear in Buxtehude and J.S. Bach. I will say this: the Lefebvre recording is colorful! The titles of these pieces, at least as they are given in the  Lefebvre recording, indicate a lot of diverse solo registration. The "Dialogue sur la voix humaine" is particularly charming.

That Dieupart disc, meanwhile, goes on my wish list; I'll park it in the spot previously occupied by the Chambonnieres! :-)