French Baroque Music

Started by Que, June 23, 2007, 12:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Quote from: PaulSC on August 12, 2011, 08:24:29 PM
I like what I've heard of the Lefebvre, but would like to hear the Ablitzer to get a sense of how the instruments compare. The music itself doesn't strike me as grand, not like what I hear in Buxtehude and J.S. Bach.

You're right about the music and Ablitzer's organs suit it fine IMO.  :) The discs have been OOP forever but can be sampled and purchased as a download at itunes and HERE.

Q

SonicMan46

Marais, Marin (1656-1728) - Viol Pieces - 5 disc set of previously released recordings (I had just one of the CDs, so a nice acquisition); Jordi Savall on the bass viol - others depending on the disc/book include Christophe Coin (on the first book of 'double viol' compositions), Ton Koopman, Hopkinson Smith, Anne Gallet (harpsichord on the 2nd book/disc), and Jean-Michel Damian.  These recordings date from 1975 to 1992 (3 discs are from the '70s) - the sound engineering is superb and the package is labeled as a 'hybrid SACD' - don't own the latter equipment to comment.

Marais studied w/ Lully & Sainte-Colombe - a Wiki Bio HERE.  For those interested in a film and one that started my interest in this composer/violist, then try Tous les matins du monde (1991) w/ Gérard Depardieu as the older Marais (and his son playing the younger man).  :)

milk

This is one of the very best recordings that I own.

milk

I wonder: Do these compositions get the acclaim that they deserve? I have no idea in what regard they are held. I happen to love them. This recording by Sonnerie is quite good! I think these works are next after the Brandenburg concertos if one is considering great baroque music of this sort. Anyone care to disagree?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: milk on October 15, 2011, 07:56:30 AM
I wonder: Do these compositions get the acclaim that they deserve? I have no idea in what regard they are held. I happen to love them. This recording by Sonnerie is quite good! I think these works are next after the Brandenburg concertos if one is considering great baroque music of this sort. Anyone care to disagree?

I'm not going to compare it with anything, but I will agree that this disc is wonderful.

milk

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 15, 2011, 10:13:53 AM
I'm not going to compare it with anything, but I will agree that this disc is wonderful.

I have the Kuijken brother's recording as well as the Podger/Pinnock but I end up back with the Sonnerie/Meyerson recording as my favorite. If anyone has another recommendation I'd love to hear it.

Skip Sempé and Olivier Fortin perform a few of these pieces (double harpsichord). It's nicely done! 

Coopmv

Quote from: milk on October 15, 2011, 07:56:30 AM

I have this twofer as well.  It is very delightful music for sure ...

Mandryka

Just a technical question.

Is there a reason why Couperin's harpsichord is particularly hard to transpose to a modern piano? I know it was often written for an instrument with two manuals, and that may make simple music on the harpsichord into a technical challenge on a single manual instrument. But wan't a lot of Bach written for a two manual harpsichord too? Anyway pianists can rise to virtuoso music.

I find myself with mixed views about the Couperin piano I've heard -- Cziffra, Sokolov and Tharaud. The piano seems to trivialise the music a bit, over sweeten it, compared with the two harpsichordists I've heard play it (Verlet and Landowska)

But that may be to do with the pianists rather than transcription problems.

What do you think of Hewitt's Couperin CD?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2011, 12:41:38 PM

Is there a reason why Couperin's harpsichord is particularly hard to transpose to a modern piano? I know it was often written for an instrument with two manuals, and that may make simple music on the harpsichord into a technical challenge on a single manual instrument. But wan't a lot of Bach written for a two manual harpsichord too? Anyway pianists can rise to virtuoso music.

I find myself with mixed views about the Couperin piano I've heard -- Cziffra, Sokolov and Tharaud. The piano seems to trivialise the music a bit, over sweeten it, compared with the two harpsichordists I've heard play it (Verlet and Landowska)

But that may be to do with the pianists rather than transcription problems.

What do you think of Hewitt's Couperin CD?

Have you heard any of the three volumes of Couperin keyboard works performed by Angela Hewitt on Hyperion?  I have all 3 volumes, though I have not listened to them since they first came into my collection ...

Mandryka

Quote from: Coopmv on November 04, 2011, 12:56:10 PM
Have you heard any of the three volumes of Couperin keyboard works performed by Angela Hewitt on Hyperion?  I have all 3 volumes, though I have not listened to them since they first came into my collection ...

I've just downloaded Vol 3

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2011, 12:41:38 PM

I don't think the problem is any matter of virtuosity, though. I'm still relatively new to immersion in this lit (do you mean François?), still making my way through the Olivier Baumont box, so I don't pretend to be able to speak thoroughly to the question, but I've heard many a piece in the course of the Ordres which had me thinking, This texture just wouldn't play the same on the piano.  And that, apart from the matter of the harpsichordist employing the lute stop for a change in timbre.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on November 04, 2011, 11:30:30 PM
I've just downloaded Vol 3

IIRC, there are not many versions of these Couperin keyboard works performed on piano out there ...

milk

I'm a big fan of this Rannou (harpsichord) recording:

Mandryka

Quote from: Coopmv on November 05, 2011, 07:56:00 AM
IIRC, there are not many versions of these Couperin keyboard works performed on piano out there ...

Have you heard the Sokolov? And the Cziffra?

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on November 05, 2011, 09:37:21 AM
Have you heard the Sokolov? And the Cziffra?

I have a box set and a few singles by Sokolov.  I am not sure if there are any Couperin tracks in that box set ...

Mandryka

Quote from: Coopmv on November 05, 2011, 09:46:17 AM
I have a box set and a few singles by Sokolov.  I am not sure if there are any Couperin tracks in that box set ...

No it won't be it's a concert bootleg with very good sound (2001 I think, from memory) Let me know if you want a link to it. I listened to it last night and I like it. He's a good pianist!

I'll try to listen to the Hewitt this weekend.

Mandryka

Here's Wanda Landowska playing Couperin's Les Dominos

http://www.youtube.com/v/G-wu93K1QGg

Her harpsichord was a two manual instrument, and Couperin wrote for a two manual instrument I think. So no transposing would have been done, I guess. She's playing the notes that FC wrote.

So how authentic is this? Were registrations like Landowska's possible on authentic instruments? Were dynamic changes like Landowska's possible? Is it that old instruments are monochromatic and incapable of dynamic variation, or is it a matter of degree?

And how is it stylistically?  I think she uses style  brisé, but I'm not a performer so I don't entirely trust my own ears.  Are there other aspects of French baroque keyboeard style I should be aware of?

prémont

Quote from: Mandryka on November 09, 2011, 03:43:11 AM
Here's Wanda Landowska playing Couperin's Les Dominos
Her harpsichord was a two manual instrument, and Couperin wrote for a two manual instrument I think. So no transposing would have been done, I guess. She's playing the notes that FC wrote.
So how authentic is this? Were registrations like Landowska's possible on authentic instruments? Were dynamic changes like Landowska's possible? Is it that old instruments are monochromatic and incapable of dynamic variation, or is it a matter of degree?
Harpsichords are incapable of any other dynamic variation than the one resulting from the change of registration. To my knowledge no French baroque harpsichord with 16F stop is known, but apart from that, I think all the stop changes Landowska made in this recording were possible on a large two manual French baroque harpsichord. But the general sound of her instrument would probably not have been to Couperins taste (too thin and metallic compared to the full sounding instruments he knew), and my idea of his style convinces me, that he never would have made so many changes of registration other than using a few echo effects.

Quote from: Mandryka
And how is it stylistically?  I think she uses style  brisé, but I'm not a performer so I don't entirely trust my own ears.  Are there other aspects of French baroque keyboeard style I should be aware of?
Style brisé is rather a way of composing than a way of playing. And I do not think she arpeggiates that much. Stylistically I would like fewer stop changes and a less ponderous  " to the letter" approach as well as a more pointed articulation - more elegance. 
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Thanks. Give me a few days to reflect on what you've said. Elegance is one way with Les Dominos, for sure.

I've been listening to a lot of Couperin recently: Blandine Verlet and some pianists too. There's a piece that Verlet plays called Musette de Choisy from the 15th Order which has gotten inder my skin.

Here's a recital that Sokolov gane in 2001 dedicated to Couperin, including Les Dominos. I think it's wonderful -- but then I would  ;)

http://www.sendspace.com/folder/vflepq

I'm interested in Sokolov's baroque reordings: he dedicated himself pretty well to Baroque music for quite  a few years.  There are recordings not just of Bach and Couperin, but also Froeberger, Byrde and Rameau.

Coopmv

Quote from: Mandryka on November 09, 2011, 11:45:47 AM
Thanks. Give me a few days to reflect on what you've said. Elegance is one way with Les Dominos, for sure.

I've been listening to a lot of Couperin recently: Blandine Verlet and some pianists too. There's a piece that Verlet plays called Musette de Choisy from the 15th Order which has gotten inder my skin.

Here's a recital that Sokolov gane in 2001 dedicated to Couperin, including Les Dominos. I think it's wonderful -- but then I would  ;)

http://www.sendspace.com/folder/vflepq

I'm interested in Sokolov's baroque reordings: he dedicated himself pretty well to Baroque music for quite  a few years.  There are recordings not just of Bach and Couperin, but also Froeberger, Byrde and Rameau.

I like both Blandine Rannou and Blandine Verlet.  BTW, the late Christiane Jaccottet was a superb harpsichordist as well.