No more Abbado / Berliner Phil Mahler?

Started by 12tone., October 09, 2010, 12:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

12tone.

Has Abbado / Berliner Phil not finished recording their newest Mahler cycle?  I've only found symphs #3,4,6,7 and 9.  When are the others coming out?

dimmer

The 8th Symphony also exists, in a slightly less than heaven raising performance. Here it is on Amazon.
I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry.
John Cage

MishaK

12tone.

You guys!  No, no no!  ???

I mean in this series: 

What about #1,2,5 and 8?  Aren't they going to finish the series of the same look?

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: 12tone. on October 10, 2010, 06:56:49 PM
What about #1,2,5 and 8?  Aren't they going to finish the series of the same look?

Since the last release was five years ago, and since Abbado is no longer music director in Berlin, and since he is re-recording Mahler with the Lucerne orchestra, I would say no: don't expect new recordings of 1, 2, 5 and 8 from Berlin. That's just a guess but I'd bet on it.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

MishaK

Quote from: 12tone. on October 10, 2010, 06:56:49 PM
I mean in this series: 

What the heck does the damn CD cover matter? Do you think Abbado re-thought his interpretive approach just to match the new cover art? If you want those covers, the Lucerne recordings look the same for the most part.

dimmer

Quote from: Mensch on October 13, 2010, 06:30:32 AM
What the heck does the damn CD cover matter? Do you think Abbado re-thought his interpretive approach just to match the new cover art? If you want those covers, the Lucerne recordings look the same for the most part.

I was thinking that these earlier recordings are lying pretty much along the same timeline of the slightly later recordings - it looks like a 2nd DG cycle to me, irrespective of cover art.
I have nothing to say, I am saying it, and that is poetry.
John Cage

12tone.

Quote from: Mensch on October 13, 2010, 06:30:32 AM

I thought Abbado did (or was going to record) two cycles: one from the 80's and this new 2000 set (see my attached 9th symphony cover).  I thought these "new cd covers" were the new cycle he was going to do.  Apparently, it's not going to get finished.

Now, there's going to be a third started?  Okay :)

MishaK

Quote from: 12tone. on October 14, 2010, 08:33:59 PM
I thought Abbado did (or was going to record) two cycles: one from the 80's and this new 2000 set

you're forgetting his earlier VPO/CSO cycle.

Mirror Image

No, it doesn't look like Abbado is going to finish his Berliner live recordings. This shouldn't come as too big of a shock as Abbado hasn't been with the Berliners in quite some time.

12tone.

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 15, 2010, 07:29:52 PM
No, it doesn't look like Abbado is going to finish his Berliner live recordings. This shouldn't come as too big of a shock as Abbado hasn't been with the Berliners in quite some time.

Thanks.  Those live recordings are pretty good.  It's too bad they aren't going to finish.  But if he's not with the Berliners anymore...  Oh well :)

12tone.

Quote from: Mensch on October 15, 2010, 06:52:38 AM
you're forgetting his earlier VPO/CSO cycle.

Can you post pictures or give a link to these so I can see what you mean?

MishaK

Quote from: 12tone. on October 16, 2010, 11:38:46 AM
Can you post pictures or give a link to these so I can see what you mean?

Those are the most recent (re-)issues I think. Some may be OOP, though perhaps available through Amazon marketplace. I have 1/10, 5 & 7, all of which are very good, though neither is necessarily a favorite. Can't compare to the BPO cycle, as I only have the live 6th.

Scarpia

Quote from: Mensch on October 17, 2010, 01:15:11 PM

Those are the most recent (re-)issues I think. Some may be OOP, though perhaps available through Amazon marketplace. I have 1/10, 5 & 7, all of which are very good, though neither is necessarily a favorite. Can't compare to the BPO cycle, as I only have the live 6th.

Have the 4, 5 and 2, which are very good.  The 9 I had (that exact issue) and found it extremely unsatisfactory, and vaguely remember a problem with the audio (a buzzing noise) in part of it.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mensch on October 17, 2010, 01:15:11 PM

There is no 8 in that line up?  And is the 10 included with 1 a different performance from the one which is included with 9?

I have 2/4 and 7 (just got it yesterday) from that cycle, and 6 and 7 from the Berlin  series.    The CSO 7 is good, but not quite as good as the Berlin 7, which remains my favorite recording of that symphony.

MishaK

Quote from: kishnevi on October 17, 2010, 05:43:56 PM
There is no 8 in that line up?

There used to be, I think. But I couldn't find a recent issue.

Quote from: kishnevi on October 17, 2010, 05:43:56 PM
And is the 10 included with 1 a different performance from the one which is included with 9?

Same thing, different reissue.