Carmina Burana by Carl Orff

Started by techniquest, June 23, 2007, 02:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 10, 2012, 06:11:42 PM
Well, you seem to be in agreement with a hell of a lot of other people on that! Of course, me being me, the consensus that the words are delivered in a clear and understandable way, and that the proper emotion is attached to them is crucial to my decision-making process. Now I know what's it's all about and have read the verses so I know the what and why. This is a vital part of my enjoyment process, and I think this recording will fit in with that nicely. It's already in the post, so I'll know soon enough. :)

8)

Well, in way I was spoiled by this recording because it was my first Carmina Burana performance on CD. Something about it just sold me from the very beginning and I didn't even need to hear a note. Carl Orff put his stamp of approval on the recording and that was good enough for me. :) But, yes, all of the reviews rate this recording very highly. Many of them stating it's the best performance they've heard. After hearing it, it was hard to argue with that! The soloists, chorus, orchestra, and Jochum himself were completely in-tune with the music and they make you believe it more than any others I've heard. This performance has all the magic, rhythmic vitality, heart, and emotion you could want.

Hope you sincerely enjoy it! It's been years since I've heard it, but if I can easily recall the performance as well as I just did for you, then this must be saying something.

springrite

My first recording was De Burgos which I loved. But I lost it (must be to an ex-gf; a small price to pay?), so I got Dorati as a replacement which isn't nearly as satisfying.

I am picking up the Thielemann next week in Baltimore. I have heard differing opinions about it. So it must be at least interesting. I will be listening to it while driving from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

mc ukrneal

My first one was this one (loved the cover and the performance is pretty good too):
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2012, 05:40:07 PM
How is the audio quality, Greg? I've read several complaints about it from Amazon reviewers.

The audio is a little inconsistent, dry at times, but not unbearable, and the performance out weights this issue. 

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 10, 2012, 07:45:44 PM
The audio is a little inconsistent, dry at times, but not unbearable, and the performance out weights this issue.

Thanks, Greg. I'll definitely consider it, but I seldom listen to Carmina Burana and the last time I listened to it was April 3rd, 2011 when I received the Tilson Thomas in the mail and fired it up on the stereo.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2012, 08:10:53 PM
Thanks, Greg. I'll definitely consider it, but I seldom listen to Carmina Burana and the last time I listened to it was April 3rd, 2011 when I received the Tilson Thomas in the mail and fired it up on the stereo.

BTW, great quote in your signature.  :)

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 10, 2012, 07:26:40 PM
My first one was this one (loved the cover and the performance is pretty good too):

I've always wondered about this one (and Ozawa's with the BSO), so would you say it's your favorite Carmina Burana performance?

Mirror Image

Right now, I'm looking at this Ozawa/BSO performance on RCA and the price sure does look enticing enough:

kaergaard

Of the number of Carminas in my collection, the Eugen Jochum used to be on the top. Then there is one performed by the Orchestre Philharmonique de Sofia with an outstanding chorus. Penderecki and the State Cracow Philharmony Orchestra and Chorus, different, very good too. Now when I am in the mood for Orff and his Carmina I pick the one with Christian Thielemann conducting the Chorus and Orchestra of the Deutsche Oper in Berlin. Thielemann has just the right touch for this composition to make it sound perfect. Of course the fact that Simon Keenlyside is in the cast puts the extra briliance on this recording.

Mirror Image

Quote from: kaergaard on October 11, 2012, 07:04:36 PM
Of the number of Carminas in my collection, the Eugen Jochum used to be on the top. Then there is one performed by the Orchestre Philharmonique de Sofia with an outstanding chorus. Penderecki and the State Cracow Philharmony Orchestra and Chorus, different, very good too. Now when I am in the mood for Orff and his Carmina I pick the one with Christian Thielemann conducting the Chorus and Orchestra of the Deutsche Oper in Berlin. Thielemann has just the right touch for this composition to make it sound perfect. Of course the fact that Simon Keenlyside is in the cast puts the extra briliance on this recording.

::) Know you tell me after I bought the Ozawa BSO recording. ;) I'll check out Thielemann at some point. I'm quite happy with buying Ozawa/BSO as I got it so cheap. I'm not a huge Carmina Burana fan, but it's good to have multiple performances of the work. I do enjoy the rhythmic vitality of the piece though.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 10, 2012, 09:33:19 PM
I've always wondered about this one (and Ozawa's with the BSO), so would you say it's your favorite Carmina Burana performance?
I like both, though my favorite is the Blomstedt. Ozawa is pretty good, but I find a bit less transparent than I prefer (though part of it is that the Blomstedt is just so darned clear in this regard). Still, it is pretty powerful. I have a hard time talking about the Levine, since it was my first. I love it. But it is totally different than the Blomstedt in its weightiness/power. Maybe see if there is an excerpt on youtube. I like the chorus a lot.

Mirror Image

Quote from: mc ukrneal on October 11, 2012, 08:29:25 PM
I like both, though my favorite is the Blomstedt. Ozawa is pretty good, but I find a bit less transparent than I prefer (though part of it is that the Blomstedt is just so darned clear in this regard). Still, it is pretty powerful. I have a hard time talking about the Levine, since it was my first. I love it. But it is totally different than the Blomstedt in its weightiness/power. Maybe see if there is an excerpt on youtube. I like the chorus a lot.

What is up with this forum and Blomstedt? It's like he's the messiah or something. The guy does nothing for me. The only recordings I've really enjoyed of Blomstedt's were his Hindemith recordings. The beautiful thing about these particular readings is since Blomstedt has nothing to add to the music, he lets the orchestra rip as a result of his lack of vision which came as a bit of surprise since I don't associate exciting conducting from him. His Nielsen performances don't really do much for me anymore since I've heard Schonwandt, Chung, and Bernstein. Ozawa, I can take or leave, mostly leave, but I do enjoy his Ravel recordings a lot and he did a fantastic job with Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet. Probably my favorite performance of that ballet. His Orff performance was certainly cheap enough ($4), so I figured I would take a chance on it. Levine is a conductor I like a lot, so his performance would be one I would be interested in getting if I were in the market for another Carmina Burana.

TheGSMoeller

John, I see Blomstedt having two bonuses to offer. First, the SFS, one of the top, possibly top 5 orchestras in the US. They've always been consistent with producing quality work. The second, and this could be more of a personal taste, is that Blomstedt offers a more objective interpretation in his recordings, a little lighter in added drama but is committed to allowing the nuances of the score to shine. Because of this, Blomstedt/SFS have my favorite Mahler 2, Sibelius Sym. set, a solid Orff Burana as discussed here, great Strauss, Hindemith and Nielsen.
8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2012, 03:16:51 AM
John, I see Blomstedt having two bonuses to offer. First, the SFS, one of the top, possibly top 5 orchestras in the US. They've always been consistent with producing quality work. The second, and this could be more of a personal taste, is that Blomstedt offers a more objective interpretation in his recordings, a little lighter in added drama but is committed to allowing the nuances of the score to shine. Because of this, Blomstedt/SFS have my favorite Mahler 2, Sibelius Sym. set, a solid Orff Burana as discussed here, great Strauss, Hindemith and Nielsen.
8)
I agree about the lighness and transparency. I feel I hear more details (or perhaps details I don't hear elsewhere). The soloists are consistent with this approach too, which gives some ethereal moments. This lightness gives some of the bite greater impact too. If you prefer your Carmina fuller and more rousing, this probably is not the ideal version. It's a version that has grown on me with time.

mc ukrneal

Listening to the Levine again now - just fabulous. The chorus is very fine - controlled, precise, biting, in unison, etc. Very enjoyable.

springrite

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 11, 2012, 08:39:43 PM
What is up with this forum and Blomstedt? It's like he's the messiah or something. The guy does nothing for me. The only recordings I've really enjoyed of Blomstedt's were his Hindemith recordings. The beautiful thing about these particular readings is since Blomstedt has nothing to add to the music, he lets the orchestra rip as a result of his lack of vision which came as a bit of surprise since I don't associate exciting conducting from him. His Nielsen performances don't really do much for me anymore since I've heard Schonwandt, Chung, and Bernstein. Ozawa, I can take or leave, mostly leave, but I do enjoy his Ravel recordings a lot and he did a fantastic job with Prokofiev's Romeo & Juliet. Probably my favorite performance of that ballet. His Orff performance was certainly cheap enough ($4), so I figured I would take a chance on it. Levine is a conductor I like a lot, so his performance would be one I would be interested in getting if I were in the market for another Carmina Burana.

My thought exactly. I like the Hindemith but dislike the Nielsen intensely! He is a very competent, even good conductor but...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2012, 03:16:51 AM
8)

The San Francisco Symphony Orchestra are a fine group and have always performed well, but I just don't hold Blomstedt in high regard. His only saving grace are his Hindemith recordings. I've never liked his Sibelius recordings and I wouldn't even bother listening to his Strauss or Mahler, especially when there are so many other conductors who have performed these composer's music. But I have 19 cycles of Sibelius' symphonies, I could never possibly like them all.

After reading Neal's remarks, Levine will probably be my next Carmina Burana. I really enjoy Levine's conducting.

Mirror Image

Quote from: springrite on October 12, 2012, 05:30:08 AMHe is a very competent, even good conductor but...

...he doesn't really bring a unique insight or any kind of risk-taking to the music.

huntsman

RAP - Add a C to improve it...