What's the point of listening to so much music?

Started by Saul, October 12, 2010, 06:41:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian

Quote from: Saul on October 13, 2010, 04:47:05 AM
But to run around to look for every recording of a particular symphony has left many people with an obsessive practice and to some extend with empty pockets.
I remember that the very first recordings that I listened to when I was a teenager, were the best, and I have not found any better recordings then those.
For example when I was 15 I purchased a cassette of Chopin's Piano concerto No. 1 by a Pianist named Daniel Doshe. Very much unknown pianist, but his performance of the Chopin Concerto was the best one I have ever heard hands down, and I can't even find a recording of this pianist anywhere.

Well but that's exactly the point! What if the cassette you had bought was actually really bad? Or, what if some people on GMG who already have 15 Chopin Piano Concerto CDs bought the Daniel Doshe cassette today? Then would you say it's OK for them to buy another Chopin recording even if they have 15?

EDIT: BTW I found the correct spelling. Daniele Dechenne. Unfortunately, based on the list of artists involved in the series, I have very strong reason to believe that Danielle Dechenne is a pseudonym.

EDIT II: I was wrong! Here is a legitimate biography of Daniele Dechenne.

Saul

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2010, 05:01:14 AM
Well but that's exactly the point! What if the cassette you had bought was actually really bad? Or, what if some people on GMG who already have 15 Chopin Piano Concerto CDs bought the Daniel Doshe cassette today? Then would you say it's OK for them to buy another Chopin recording even if they have 15?

EDIT: BTW I found the correct spelling. Daniele Dechenne. Unfortunately, based on the list of artists involved in the series, I have very strong reason to believe that Danielle Dechenne is a pseudonym.

EDIT II: I was wrong! Here is a legitimate biography of Daniele Dechenne.

No I don't think that its her. Its a wrong spelling.

Its Doshe.

Anyways I dont really remember exactly it was 18 years ago, and I don't have the cassette for a very long time, I dont know where it is lol.
But the point that I made still stands.

Brian

Quote from: Saul on October 13, 2010, 05:24:05 AM
No I don't think that its her. Its a wrong spelling.

Its Doshe.

Anyways I dont really remember exactly it was 18 years ago, and I don't have the cassette for a very long time, I dont know where it is lol.
But the point that I made still stands.

I found it from your post. You wrote here in 2004 that it was called "The best of Chopin" and "If im not mistaken the pianist name was Daniel Doshe,but im not sure." Then somebody replied, "I have that cassette. I'm not sure where it is. I remember it was a female pianist, Danielle, I think." You wrote back, "WoW!!!!!" Then I did a google search for Danielle and Chopin Piano Concerto, and Daniele Dechenne came up. The first name is only one letter different, the last name is really close. And the "Best of Chopin" CD Daniele Dechenne has the piano concerto and all the tracks your cassette had.

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2010, 05:39:13 AM
I found it from your post. You wrote here in 2004 that it was called "The best of Chopin" and "If im not mistaken the pianist name was Daniel Doshe,but im not sure." Then somebody replied, "I have that cassette. I'm not sure where it is. I remember it was a female pianist, Danielle, I think." You wrote back, "WoW!!!!!" Then I did a google search for Danielle and Chopin Piano Concerto, and Daniele Dechenne came up. The first name is only one letter different, the last name is really close. And the "Best of Chopin" CD Daniele Dechenne has the piano concerto and all the tracks your cassette had.
Perhaps Doshe sounds more kosher for him.  :D
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Saul

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2010, 05:39:13 AM

Ok so it maybe be her, but I really cant remember the correct spelling, it was very long time ago as I said.

But that doesn't take away from the initial point I made, Sherlock.. ;D and btw, her Chopin recordings are the best that I have ever heard by any pianist, and that was the very first recording that I bought of Chopin's music.

Brian

Quote from: Saul on October 13, 2010, 05:43:48 AM
But that doesn't take away from the initial point I made, Sherlock.. ;D

I will take this as a compliment!  8)  BTW I just listened to your amigo Eliran Avni playing Avner Dorman...

Saul

Quote from: Florestan on October 13, 2010, 05:41:07 AM
Perhaps Doshe sounds more kosher for him.  :D

It looks like it sounds more kosher to you then to me... ;)

Philoctetes

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2010, 05:45:03 AM
I will take this as a compliment!  8)  BTW I just listened to your amigo Eliran Avni playing Avner Dorman...

Damn. I was about to post that it's easy to understand why Brian missed it because no point was made.

Florestan

Quote from: Saul on October 13, 2010, 05:45:32 AM
It looks like it sounds more kosher to you then to me... ;)

I made a phonetic analogy: Doshe Daniel / Moshe Dayan.  :)
Si un hombre nunca se contradice será porque nunca dice nada. —Miguel de Unamuno

Saul

Quote from: Brian on October 13, 2010, 05:45:03 AM

Another bad composer... Doorman...

How did you like it?

Saul

Quote from: Florestan on October 13, 2010, 05:48:08 AM
I made a phonetic analogy: Doshe Daniel / Moshe Dayan.  :)

The one eyed with the two handed.....ten fingered...what a combo!!!
It kinda reminds me a scene from Munich "Ahh a Frenchman and a Jew, we could go at it forever'....(or something like that)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Saul on October 13, 2010, 04:32:31 AM
And I know that if he would have been living today, he wouldn't have been busy collecting and comparing music obsessively, but rather he would have concentrated with creating.
Is there something bad about collecting many different recordings of the same thing and comparing them? Are you suggesting there is something detrimental in this activity? Why aren't you happy that someone would have the interest to listen to said recordings and compare them? Or are you saying that because you wouldn't do it and don't see value in it, then we shouldn't do it and see value in it?
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Saul

Quote from: ukrneal on October 13, 2010, 06:04:13 AM
Is there something bad about collecting many different recordings of the same thing and comparing them? Are you suggesting there is something detrimental in this activity? Why aren't you happy that someone would have the interest to listen to said recordings and compare them? Or are you saying that because you wouldn't do it and don't see value in it, then we shouldn't do it and see value in it?

I'm not saying its bad, I'm saying its unnecessary, and to a degree its a waste of time and money.

MN Dave

Quote from: Saul on October 13, 2010, 06:20:13 AM
I'm not saying its bad, I'm saying its unnecessary, and to a degree its a waste of time and money.

Maybe if it's not your hobby, but there are lots of people who enjoy acquiring and comparing recordings. Some hobbies are just more expensive than others.

karlhenning

In honesty, you can say that only for yourself.

MN Dave

What's the use of getting sober if you're going to get drunk again?

;D

DavidW

Quote from: MN Dave on October 13, 2010, 06:22:40 AM
Maybe if it's not your hobby, but there are lots of people who enjoy acquiring and comparing recordings. Some hobbies are just more expensive than others.

Well cd collecting is fairly cheap compared to collecting cars, so we have that going for us. ;D

The new erato

I'm saying its unnecessary, and to a degree its a waste of time .....

As opposed to wasting other's time?

DavidW

I think we need to just lock Saul and Satzaroo in one thread.  They can each post their own little stories and musings to each other. ;D  And we wouldn't see them on any other thread. >:D