Operatic characters sent into exile

Started by (poco) Sforzando, October 16, 2010, 09:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

(poco) Sforzando

For a personal project, I am looking for the name of any operatic characters (preferably female) who are sent into exile as part of the plot. Nothing obscure, please, as that would defeat the purpose. Eboli from Don Carlo or Puccini's Manon might do, but can you think of any others?

Thanks.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

karlhenning

Katerina Izmailova (internal exile to prison in Siberia)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on October 16, 2010, 09:57:04 AM
Katerina Izmailova (internal exile to prison in Siberia)

Thanks. A little off the standard Verdi-Puccini-Wagner mainstream for my needs, but a possibility.

Gurn Blanston

Is Monteverdi in the mix? In Poppea, Drusilla and Ottone are sent into exile...

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Malcolm Bilson - Dussek Op 44 Sonata in Eb for Pianoforte 4th mvmt - Rondo: Allegro moderato e espressivo
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 16, 2010, 10:47:38 AM

8)

----------------
Now playing:
Malcolm Bilson - Dussek Op 44 Sonata in Eb for Pianoforte 4th mvmt - Rondo: Allegro moderato e espressivo

Again, a little too off the beaten path, and that's two characters. So far, Eboli and Manon seem my best bets. Thanks.

Scarpia

Quote from: Sforzando on October 16, 2010, 09:21:30 AM
For a personal project, I am looking for the name of any operatic characters (preferably female) who are sent into exile as part of the plot. Nothing obscure, please, as that would defeat the purpose. Eboli from Don Carlo or Puccini's Manon might do, but can you think of any others?

Thanks.

The Queen of the Night at the end of Zauberflote?

Anne

I think I might need some help with this but in Macbeth doesn't the army go away and camouflage themselves until Birnum Wood comes to______?

karlhenning

Malcolm does willingly quit Scotland for safety's sake, 'tis true.

Nice to see you about, Anne!

Anne

How about Carmen?  For misbehaving she is to be imprisoned which merely gave her some time to work out her escape in privacy with the soldier's help.

kishnevi

In Turandot, Calaf, Timur and Liu are already in exile at the start of the opera.

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Anne on October 16, 2010, 05:31:53 PM
How about Carmen?  For misbehaving she is to be imprisoned which merely gave her some time to work out her escape in privacy with the soldier's help.

Of course the problem with using Carmen is that she never really gets exiled.

I do appreciate everyone's help. So far I think Eboli remains closest to what I need. The fact that she is cut off permanently from her Queen is just the shading I want.

Wendell_E

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 16, 2010, 10:47:38 AM

8)
And what about Ottavia in the same opera?  She was the first one that came to mind when I saw this thread title. Her farewell to Rome is one of the highlights of the score.
"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." ― Mark Twain

knight66

Anaes in part 2 of The Trojans enters Carthage as an exile from Troy. Perhaps he is really a refugee. Ditto I suppose for Donizetti's Maria Stuarda.

Mike

DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Anne

Nice to see you about, Anne!

Thanks,  Karl.  It's nice to be back.  I was in the hospital for a while.  Then I somehow locked myself out of this BB and could not get back in.

Everyone should have a buddy on this BB who has your email address and you have his.

Superhorn

In Verdi's rarely performed early opera I Due Foscari, the son of the Doge of Venice is sent into exile on trumped up charges by his enemies,leading ultimately to his death,and that of his father from grief. Not exactly a feel good opera, but a powerful one.
  There's an excellent Philips recording conducted by the late Lamberto Gardelli,who did so much to champion neglected Italian operas,but I'm not sure if it's still available. Check arkivmusic.com,the best website for hard to find classical recordings. And their overall selection of classical CDs and DVDs is amazing. No classical CD and DVD collector should miss it.

sospiro

Quote from: Superhorn on October 20, 2010, 07:51:20 AM
  In Verdi's rarely performed early opera I Due Foscari, the son of the Doge of Venice is sent into exile on trumped up charges by his enemies,leading ultimately to his death,and that of his father from grief. Not exactly a feel good opera, but a powerful one.
  There's an excellent Philips recording conducted by the late Lamberto Gardelli,who did so much to champion neglected Italian operas,but I'm not sure if it's still available. Check arkivmusic.com,the best website for hard to find classical recordings. And their overall selection of classical CDs and DVDs is amazing. No classical CD and DVD collector should miss it.

These are wonderful studio recordings.

Annie

Guido

What is this shady project? My completely arbitrary guess, only because I am also participating is - NaNoWriMo.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Mandryka

Quote from: Sforzando on October 16, 2010, 10:26:07 AM
Thanks. A little off the standard Verdi-Puccini-Wagner mainstream for my needs, but a possibility.

Isn't the obvious one Bruenhilde -- sent into exile away from Valhalla by her father?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Wanderer

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Wanderer on October 30, 2010, 12:24:23 PM
Also, Massenet's Manon, same character.

I know. But being exiled to a desert in Louisiana somehow sounds better than - well, wherever Massenet's heroine was sent. Brünnhilde is a good idea too. Actually Parsifal, exiled to wander for an entire intermission between Acts 2-3, might work as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions.