La Generacion del '51: The Spanish Avant-Garde

Started by snyprrr, October 21, 2010, 07:14:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

Quote from: just Jeff on January 10, 2011, 03:00:11 AM
and of course this pricey CD I have up at amazon.  No other sellers of this title have come forward in the last 9 months...

YYYou're the culprit, eh??? >:( ;D

$9.99,... not a penny more!!! :P

snyprrr

Awaiting Cristobal Halffter's Piano Music on Verso.

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on December 31, 2010, 01:23:06 AM
So I just gave this a listen and it's good. I liked SQs 1 and 2 better than 7, which seemed a tad long-winded. I couldn't help but be reminded of Rihm's SQs when listening to this, even though 1 and 2 predate Rihm's SQs. There were also stretches bringing back memories of Ligeti's Lontano. Overall, makes me want to get Arditti's disc with SQ 1, 3 and 6. I read that 4 and 5 are miniatures that were eventually integrated into 6, so the Leipziger and Arditti discs should cover all of Halffter's output for SQ.

3/11 Vol.2 in the Arditti's survey (2,4,5,7) comes out today (only available through Diverdi at the moment). Can't wait!

petrarch

Halffter, String quartets vol. 2, Arditti String Quartet

This is a more polished rendition of SQ 2 and SQ 7 than the Leipziger on MDG. The Leipziger sounds more romantic and warm, whereas the Arditti sounds cleaner, more clinical (in a good way) and refined. With the Arditti, the comparison with Rihm I made earlier no longer feels completely accurate; for instance, they make SQ 2 sound more carefully and subtly put together, a restrained wildness that differs from the jaggedness and angular figures that reminded me of Rihm in the other recording.

SQ 2, which I already enjoyed, is, with this recording, turning out to be my absolute favorite Halffter.

A nice bonus on this CD is the recordings of Con bravura y sentimiento and Zeitgestalt, the two "intermediate" quartets that were absorbed into SQ 6. Although I also have vol. 1, I haven't yet played it to compare these with SQ 6. However, it is clear that Con bravura y sentimiento is too short all by itself and really needs room to breathe. Perhaps the best way to consume this piece is as part of a program with the other pieces dedicated to Alfred Schlee; I'll give that a try sometime. Zeitgestalt fares much better as an independent piece.

I'll compare the two versions of SQ 7 some other time. After listening to SQ 2, listening to SQ 7 feels like a pointless and unfair exercise.
//p
The music collection.
The hi-fi system: Esoteric X-03SE -> Pathos Logos -> Analysis Audio Amphitryon.
A view of the whole

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on January 02, 2011, 06:58:09 PM
3 Pieces (SQ 1): @13mins
SQ 2: @22mins??? -
SQ3: @20mins
SQ4: 4mins
SQ5: 7mins
SQ6: @20mins
SQ7: @25mins???

SQ 2 is 22 mins Leipziger, 18 mins Arditti
SQ 4 comes at 2:40 with the Arditti
SQ 5 is 8 mins with the Arditti
SQ 7 is 23 mins with both the Leipziger and the Arditti
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on June 03, 2011, 06:52:08 PM
Halffter, String quartets vol. 2, Arditti String Quartet

This is a more polished rendition of SQ 2 and SQ 7 than the Leipziger on MDG. The Leipziger sounds more romantic and warm, whereas the Arditti sounds cleaner, more clinical (in a good way) and refined. With the Arditti, the comparison with Rihm I made earlier no longer feels completely accurate; for instance, they make SQ 2 sound more carefully and subtly put together, a restrained wildness that differs from the jaggedness and angular figures that reminded me of Rihm in the other recording.

SQ 2, which I already enjoyed, is, with this recording, turning out to be my absolute favorite Halffter.

A nice bonus on this CD is the recordings of Con bravura y sentimiento and Zeitgestalt, the two "intermediate" quartets that were absorbed into SQ 6. Although I also have vol. 1, I haven't yet played it to compare these with SQ 6. However, it is clear that Con bravura y sentimiento is too short all by itself and really needs room to breathe. Perhaps the best way to consume this piece is as part of a program with the other pieces dedicated to Alfred Schlee; I'll give that a try sometime. Zeitgestalt fares much better as an independent piece.

I'll compare the two versions of SQ 7 some other time. After listening to SQ 2, listening to SQ 7 feels like a pointless and unfair exercise.

aaaackkkk!!!!!

HOW DID YOU GET THIS????

It's only available from Diverdi in Spain, with a 20EU shipping. HOW HOW HOW?????

Coco

Thank you for this thread. :) I knew nothing of any of these composers (except a bit of Gerhard, and only by reputation), so I will have fun exploring. I was able to find the disc with Halffter's 2nd VC cto and Parafrasis, Marco's Modelos de Universo (col legno), a disc of the Ardittis playing Guerrero. Can't wait to dive into these.

klingsor

I have these

Will try to upload a sample track next week

Also have Cristobal Halffter 3

[asin]B00000AE02[/asin]

petrarch

Quote from: snyprrr on June 04, 2011, 07:01:27 AM
aaaackkkk!!!!!

HOW DID YOU GET THIS????

It's only available from Diverdi in Spain, with a 20EU shipping. HOW HOW HOW?????

Bought it at a store while on vacation in Portugal about 6 weeks ago.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on June 04, 2011, 04:00:00 PM
Bought it at a store while on vacation in Portugal about 6 weeks ago.

aaaaaarrrrghhhhh :'(

ah, what am I to do now? Do you want to encourage me to spend about $55 for this (I probably would)?

Boy, I'm gonna have to start a 'Are you going to Spain?' Thread. ::)

"and there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth"

STELLLLAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

klingsor

Quote from: petrarch on June 05, 2011, 04:00:09 AM
We're talking about volume 2 of the SQs. Volume 1 is fairly easy to find.

They can all be found there

petrarch

//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: klingsor on June 06, 2011, 02:23:12 AM

Where?... where?.... (sound of furniture crashing)... wahhhhhhhhh :'(

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on June 06, 2011, 02:29:57 AM
I only see 3 matches, all of vol. 1.

Quote from: klingsor on June 06, 2011, 02:23:12 AM

As if by supernatural fiat, Vol.2 was announced on Amazon as being released July12!!. Yay!!

snyprrr

Quote from: DavidW on June 08, 2011, 06:56:27 AM
Klingsor left? ??? :'(

Well,... he was right here,... huh,... well, yes, he must have... left? ???

petrarch

Quote from: Leon on July 18, 2011, 04:53:28 AM
Is he the son of Roldolfo?  Rodolfo Halffter was an interesting composer of the generation of '27 and a very good composer, so it would make sense - but I have no information one way or the other.

Cristóbal is the nephew of Rodolfo.
//p
The music collection.
A view of the whole

snyprrr

Quote from: petrarch on July 18, 2011, 05:24:49 AM
Cristóbal is the nephew of Rodolfo.

Well, Vol.2 of the Arditti Cycle has been 'released',... Allegro has a couple of copies, but Amazon doesn't seem to have a copy yet. I went ahead and ordered it from Amazon, hoping they'll get a copy quicker than 4-6 weeks ( :o :-X :'(). If it appears that the 'Meltdown' will happen before Amazon gets a copy :o,... I WILL cancel the order!! :-*

Why does it have to be this hard? ::)