Clavichord recordings you like.

Started by Mandryka, October 25, 2010, 09:54:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

After very much enjoying Joseph Payne play in very restrained and intimate style music by JS Bach from the WF Bach Notebook, I was naturally led to seek out more, and I came to this, the final volume in his Pachelbel series for Centaur. There is a sequence of five modest suites, played suitably modestly on a modest clavichord. Not unattractive domestic music when you're in the mood, satisfyingly interpreted IMO by Payne, albeit without Rampe's nuance and delicacy on clavichord. Sound quality is fine.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on May 09, 2018, 05:00:44 AM
This just doesn't take off poetically, there's just nothing of interest here, apart from the fact that it's on clavichord, but that isn't itself very interesting. The performances are like an unimaginative student's runthough.

This is unfair and I regret saying it, the second partita is not bad at all, maybe with time I'll come to love the set, maybe some of the partitas are more clavichord friendly than others.

Mandryka

This is Stefan Müller and Johann Sonnleitner playing AoF, including the unfinished fugue as left, and a completion by Erich Bergel. The instrument is a copy of a Johann Heinrich Silbermann pedal clavichord, tuned to Neidhard "für eine große Stadt". Intimate, expressive, contemplative, well recorded.  Not clear which pieces are for four hands and feet, and which are for two, probably because the booklet is only in German, which I can't read.

In an nutshell this is Leonhardt DHM style on a clavichord. I like it very much.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2018, 02:57:59 AM
This is Stefan Müller and Johann Sonnleitner playing AoF, including the unfinished fugue as left, and a completion by Erich Bergel. The instrument is a copy of a Johann Heinrich Silbermann pedal clavichord, tuned to Neidhard "für eine große Stadt". Intimate, expressive, contemplative, well recorded.  Not clear which pieces are for four hands and feet, and which are for two, probably because the booklet is only in German, which I can't read.

In an nutshell this is Leonhardt DHM style on a clavichord. I like it very much.

According to the booklet usual unbound clavichords without pedal are used for this recording. Most of the four part pieces are played by two players (four hand) on two clavichords. A few of the four part pieces (no mention of which ones) and all the three- and the two part pieces are played only by one player. The booklet doesn't state whom.

It is some years since I heard this recording. I recall the interpretation as being expressive, thoughtful and cantabile but also a bit relaxed, and I did not get any associations to Leonhardt's tense DHM account.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Yes, maybe. and maybe this type of clavichord must sound more relaxed than a harpsichord, just because of the quality of the tone. I mean, I know that Clemencic can make a clavichord sound tense, but it's a different type of instrument that he uses I think.

By the way, I've been very much enjoying Wjuniski's CD of Spanish music.

milk

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2018, 02:57:59 AM

wish I could get a hold of this. The only other is Troeger? What happened to him?

premont

Quote from: milk on June 09, 2018, 05:33:35 PM
wish I could get a hold of this. The only other is Troeger? What happened to him?

Troeger recorded a lot more Bach, but it seems as if he cannot find anyone to release it. Surprising, that Lyrichord chose to release Jean Paul's recordings of WTC et.c. instead.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 09, 2018, 05:42:54 AM
By the way, I've been very much enjoying Wjuniski's CD of Spanish music.

So did I.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

Review of Meno van Delft's Partitas here, but what bastards Music Web were to give the job to someone who has no interest in or sympathy towards old clavichords! As if they set Meno van Delft and Resonus Classics up.

http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2018/Jun/Bach_partitas_RES10212.htm

I'm afraid there's a very negative review on amazon.com too.

(The recording is growing on me, it reminds me a bit of Belder's CPE Bach for its seriousness and restraint. Chorzempa's WTC too. These are the sort of performances which reveal their qualities slowly.)

milk

Quote from: (: premont :) on June 10, 2018, 04:29:09 AM

Troeger recorded a lot more Bach, but it seems as if he cannot find anyone to release it. Surprising, that Lyrichord chose to release Jean Paul's recordings of WTC et.c. instead.
I never understood Troeger. Should I go back to it? Does he have big fans here?  Maybe I misssed it at the time...his AOF too.

Mandryka

Quote from: milk on June 10, 2018, 06:52:22 PM
I never understood Troeger. Should I go back to it? Does he have big fans here?  Maybe I misssed it at the time...his AOF too.

Troeger's partitas are pretty standard interpretations on a clavichord, nicely played and nicely recorded. If you have van Delft it's not uninteresting to compare and contrast instruments and style. I like Troeger's lively wide awake Art of Fugue and sonata/BWV 1006a very much. I haven't heard the rest but I'll correct that soon.

With Troeger, I have the impression that he's playing the clavichord rather like a harpsichord, the textures he creates are familiar harpsichord textures. With Ella (in Sweelinck) and Rampe (Sweelinck, Philips, Froberger) I feel that they're finding a more native clavichord style. But for all I know this may be to do with the music, I notice that Ella used a harpsichord for AoF, that Rampe never used a harpsichord for Bach, and Troeger only recorded Bach.

Que

Quote from: milk on June 10, 2018, 06:52:22 PM

I wouldn't bother...  8)

Q

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 10, 2018, 08:40:54 PM
With Troeger, I have the impression that he's playing the clavichord rather like a harpsichord, the textures he creates are familiar harpsichord textures.

My impression too. There is too little inflection of individual notes.

Quote from: Mandryka
...that Rampe never used a harpsichord for Bach...

..that Rampe never used a clavichord for Bach  - I suppose.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

milk

Mandryka

https://youtube.com/v/RZ6uSP6eSYU

Gerard van Reenen Pachelbel Aria Sebaldina, he's put more of  the Hexachordum Apollinis on YouTube, this one at least is exceptionally good, one of the best I've heard.  He released them on a CD apparently

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on June 26, 2018, 09:31:31 AM
https://youtube.com/v/RZ6uSP6eSYU

Gerard van Reenen Pachelbel Aria Sebaldina, he's put more of  the Hexachordum Apollinis on YouTube, this one at least is exceptionally good, one of the best I've heard.  He released them on a CD apparently

Thanks for posting this beautiful and expressive recording.

I suppose he published the CD in Holland, unavailable to simple mortals like us.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Mandryka

An example of a cembalo d'amour, an instrument that José Miguel Moreno speculates was played by David Kellner.

https://youtube.com/v/aICXfF4Kvio

Mandryka

Quote from: Mandryka on March 03, 2017, 01:33:34 PM

I don't much like it.

Well I've changed my mind, I very much like it. Giovanni de Cecco is a real clavichord player, that's to say he doesn't play it like a piano or a harpsichord or an organ, the textures are distinctive and suit the instrument well. His approach is serious and sensual, tasteful and imaginative, full of changes of attack.  He's recorded the complete Mozart sonatas too, which I look forward to listening to. This is much much more interesting to hear than Baumont IMO.

premont

Quote from: Mandryka on July 31, 2018, 05:28:01 AM
Well I've changed my mind, I very much like it. Giovanni de Cecco is a real clavichord player, that's to say he doesn't play it like a piano or a harpsichord or an organ, the textures are distinctive and suit the instrument well. His approach is serious and sensual, tasteful and imaginative, full of changes of attack.  He's recorded the complete Mozart sonatas too, which I look forward to listening to. This is much much more interesting to hear than Baumont IMO.

Where did you find this. I only find a download. Not even Amazon.it lists a CD.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν