0 (0%)
Reicha
1 (2.4%)
Other
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

mc ukrneal

Quote from: DavidW on November 03, 2010, 06:01:04 AM
Which would you rather listen to?  One day of the complete works of Ravel and Webern or one month of the complete works of Telemann?  Quality > Quantity. :)
I agree  - which is why Telemann would win handily in such a poll - quality and quantity!!  >:D...runs for cover.... This might be a fun poll one day.

Looking at my collection, I already have more Telemann than Ravel, Webern, Janacek, and Berg combined! So I guess you know how I would vote...
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Well okay Telemann wrote a few good pieces, but he is no Webern!  The casual poster is wondering why I'm comparing Telemann and Webern... ;D  Yeah didn't you know about Telemann's experimental 12 tone row stage... :D

Brian

Quote from: ukrneal on November 03, 2010, 06:15:16 AM
I agree  - which is why Telemann would win handily in such a poll - quality and quantity!!  >:D...runs for cover.... This might be a fun poll one day.

Looking at my collection, I already have more Telemann than Ravel, Webern, Janacek, and Berg combined! So I guess you know how I would vote...

I have 0 works by Telemann, 0 works by Berg, 3 works by Webern, and about 25 works by Ravel.  ;D

mc ukrneal

Quote from: DavidW on November 03, 2010, 06:21:37 AM
Well okay Telemann wrote a few good pieces, but he is no Webern!
See - common ground. Telemann was most definitely no Webern!!  :P
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

DavidW

Are you telling me Brian that you don't have Berg's famous Violin Concerto?  You know one of the greatest works of the 20th century?  The fusion of modernism, romanticism and baroque?  Yeah seriously how many works feature romantic bent lyricism, modern aesthetics and Bach quotations in equal measure? :)

Brian

Quote from: DavidW on November 03, 2010, 06:24:28 AM
Are you telling me Brian that you don't have Berg's famous Violin Concerto?  You know one of the greatest works of the 20th century?

Nope. I've heard it live twice and filed it in the "try again in ten years" cabinet. I've seen a film version of Wozzeck, though, and that was pretty freaking intense (in a good way).

Scarpia

Quote from: DavidW on November 03, 2010, 06:01:04 AM
Which would you rather listen to?  One day of the complete works of Ravel and Webern or one month of the complete works of Telemann?  Quality > Quantity. :)

Telemann.  Quality and Quantity.

DavidW

Quote from: Scarpia on November 03, 2010, 07:35:34 AM
Telemann.  Quality and Quantity.

What you like Telemann? ???  But you hate Vivaldi, despite the fact that they both write in the same proto-galant style but Vivaldi is more consistently inspired? ???

Scarpia

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 03, 2010, 06:09:53 AM
Scarps, that's not cheating; the orchestrations are value added, without nullifying the piano originals.

I can't think of one that wasn't much better in it's original form on piano.  Tombeau de Couperin and the Pavane, in particular, are so much better in their original versions.

Scarpia

Quote from: DavidW on November 03, 2010, 07:40:45 AM
What you like Telemann? ???  But you hate Vivaldi, despite the fact that they both write in the same proto-galant style but Vivaldi is more consistently inspired? ???

I see no similarity between Vivaldi and Telemann.  Telemann's music has skillfully written imitative counterpoint.  I have never heard anything by Vivaldi that struck me as "inspired" in any way.  (Just my impression, obviously.)

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on November 03, 2010, 08:36:12 AM
I can't think of one that wasn't much better than its original form on piano.  Tombeau de Couperin and the Pavane, in particular, are so much better in their original versions.

How about Pictures at an Exhibition?  :)

At the risk of sounding hubristic, there are tweaks I'd make to the Ravel orchestration, but it is like a color film to Mussorgsky's black and white.

Scarpia

Quote from: Brian on November 03, 2010, 06:04:05 AM
The purely orchestral works/ballets probably take up 3 CDs, plus the two operas, piano concertos - about 320 minutes there, plus the piano and chamber music, that's 9 hours sans songs and obscurities. :) Which is why it's so baffling that I'm having to wait so long for a Brilliant Classics Complete Ravel Edition.

I entirely forgot about those Operas.  They seem so obscure I assumed they were unlistenable.  I'll have to admit I have never heard them.

Brian

Quote from: Scarpia on November 03, 2010, 08:44:29 AM
I entirely forgot about those Operas.  They seem so obscure I assumed they were unlistenable.  I'll have to admit I have never heard them.

Click "Members" -> "L" -> "Luke" -> "Show recent posts" -> scroll down  ;)
EDIT: Or click here

Brahmsian

I knew Janacek would garner some votes, but I fully expected Dvorak to run away with this one.   :)

karlhenning

I cannot really choose . . . but if I vote according to shelf space, then I'm "in the tank" with Martinů.

Philoctetes

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2010, 09:43:37 AM
I knew Janacek would garner some votes, but I fully expected Dvorak to run away with this one.   :)

Is it based on forum topics and the number of posts contained therein?

Brahmsian

Quote from: Philoctetes on November 03, 2010, 09:45:38 AM
Is it based on forum topics and the number of posts contained therein?

Nope, I just assumed in general that Dvorak was more loved than Janacek. 

Archaic Torso of Apollo

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on November 03, 2010, 09:45:19 AM
I cannot really choose . . . but if I vote according to shelf space, then I'm "in the tank" with Martinů.

Me too...he wins on "ear time" as well. The top 3 guys are monopolizing the vote! Maybe Gurn will show up and vote for Reicha.
formerly VELIMIR (before that, Spitvalve)

"Who knows not strict counterpoint, lives and dies an ignoramus" - CPE Bach

Scarpia

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 03, 2010, 09:46:53 AM
Nope, I just assumed in general that Dvorak was more loved than Janacek.

In my first five years of listening to Classical Music Dvorak was a favorite.  At this point, I'd say the ratio of Janacek:Dvorak and Martinu:Dvorak listening is 50:1 and 100:1, respectively.  Part of that is that Janacek and Martinu still contain regions of unknown music.  But Janacek:Brahms and Martinu:Brahms are probably 2:1 and 4:1, despite the fact that I am as familiar with Brahms as with any composer.  But in all honesty, I haven't really explored much of Dvorak's Chamber music.  Perhaps my interest will revive if I do a little exploring in that direction.  (I recently got a box set of Dvorak Chamber Music, I should put it in front of the queue.)

Gurn Blanston

Reicha is getting gouged because not enough people know his music. Where's Fibich? And Benda and Vanhal... :-\   I voted for Dvorak cause I like his looks; good, solid, conservative looking sort of person.... :)

8)

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)