Only the New (art)

Started by Philoctetes, November 13, 2010, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henk

Quote from: knight on January 16, 2011, 12:23:15 PM
Eh! Easy! No not at all easy. This is a virtuoso utilising paint in a starting way and as I suggested; difficult to convey the impact if you are not in the same space as the canvases. You proved my point.

Mike

Ok, the painting technique can be really difficult and praised, but it just generates an effect and not much more.

Henk

For Greg:

Yoshitomo Nara

PaulSC

CD

Quote from: Henk on January 16, 2011, 12:40:59 PM
Ok, the painting technique can be really difficult and praised, but it just generates an effect and not much more.

not a gerhard richter fan?

i like this too

CD

Carrie Gundersdorf
Two widths of the epsilon ring - green version
Oil on canvas

CD

Kim Dorland
Hitchhiker, 2009
oil and acrylic on wood

greg

Quote from: Henk on January 16, 2011, 12:46:31 PM
For Greg:

Yoshitomo Nara

Lol, they look kinda creepy  :D

Quote from: PaulSC on January 16, 2011, 01:09:27 PM
Julie Mehretu

This is very cool!

Quote from: Corey on January 16, 2011, 05:21:11 PM

Kim Dorland
Hitchhiker, 2009
oil and acrylic on wood
And so it this one.

knight66

greg, if it is creepy you want, try Ron Mueck's hyper realistic pieces. They are almost alarming. Either huge or very small, he takes the human figure and places the viewer at 'the wrong scale'. You look at them and marvel at the technique, but much more than that you wonder and you think.

Lots of his work illustrated here.....

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php?action=post;topic=17529.200;last_msg=482199

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

knight66

Different and much admired, Anish Kapoor. Indian born sculpture, but living in the UK. He has moved from this:

to this wonderful vast temporary piece at the Tate Modern in London:

Lots of his work here:

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=en&xhr=t&q=anish+kapoor&cp=5&wrapid=tljp129525041612508&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=980&bih=566

Mike

knight66

Finally for now, the Tate piece reminded me of another temporary work there, life affirming and enveloping, 'The Weather Project' by Olafur Eliasson.

Mike

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on January 16, 2011, 05:15:51 PM

i like this too

That must be by Jessica Muller, must be! I know her. I even think my ex-wife owns this painting (or something similar).
Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

knight66

The Muller is pretty stunning. I hope it is quite large, looks like it ought to be.

Mike

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: knight on January 16, 2011, 11:17:24 PM
The Muller is pretty stunning. I hope it is quite large, looks like it ought to be.

Mike

From the moment I saw her work, I loved it. I like the warnth of the colours and the magical sense of depth she creates through the layeredness. Some canvases are quite large. Here is her site:

http://www.jessicamuller.nl/index_uk.shtml

This is the one 'we' (and now my ex, who bought it) own(ed):

Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything. -- Plato

MDL

Quote from: knight on January 16, 2011, 10:50:21 PM
Finally for now, the Tate piece reminded me of another temporary work there, life affirming and enveloping, 'The Weather Project' by Olafur Eliasson.

Mike

I loved this one and the Kapoor. Have you seen the current exhibition, that seeds thing by Ai Weiwei? Very disappointing. Each time I see it, I think, "My mum's just paid a few grand to get something like that scraped off her driveway and replaced by tarmac." I'm not posting a picture because it might look like I'm recommending it.

greg

Quote from: knight on January 16, 2011, 10:38:53 PM
greg, if it is creepy you want, try Ron Mueck's hyper realistic pieces. They are almost alarming. Either huge or very small, he takes the human figure and places the viewer at 'the wrong scale'. You look at them and marvel at the technique, but much more than that you wonder and you think.
Creepy indeed.  :-X

knight66

Quote from: MDL on January 16, 2011, 11:46:55 PM

I loved this one and the Kapoor. Have you seen the current exhibition, that seeds thing by Ai Weiwei? Very disappointing. Each time I see it, I think, "My mum's just paid a few grand to get something like that scraped off her driveway and replaced by tarmac." I'm not posting a picture because it might look like I'm recommending it.

No I have not been in for a few months. Reading about the latest exibit did not inspire me to cut time out of the day to see it.

Mike

CD

Quote from: Jezetha on January 16, 2011, 11:12:47 PM
That must be by Jessica Muller, must be! I know her. I even think my ex-wife owns this painting (or something similar).

Believe it or not, it's Gerhard Richter's Bach!

J.Z. Herrenberg

Quote from: Corey on January 17, 2011, 02:15:05 PM
Believe it or not, it's Gerhard Richter's Bach!

Ha! And I just wrote to her... Well well. But if you like that painting by Richter, you must like some works by Jessica, too!

(poco) Sforzando

Quote from: Jezetha on January 16, 2011, 11:21:10 PM
From the moment I saw her work, I loved it. I like the warnth of the colours and the magical sense of depth she creates through the layeredness. Some canvases are quite large. Here is her site:

http://www.jessicamuller.nl/index_uk.shtml

This is the one 'we' (and now my ex, who bought it) own(ed):

Reminds me of some of the more beautiful work by Darina Karpov, who probably works on a much smaller scale:
http://www.darinakarpov.com/2009/dkarp2009.html
http://www.darinakarpov.com/2009/dkarp2010.html
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."