Philoctetes

Philoctetes

Philoctetes

DavidW

I like the Byrne Philo.

Philoctetes

Quote from: DavidW on June 07, 2011, 07:15:52 PM
I like the Byrne Philo.

That gives me much pleasure to know.  :)

North Star

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

North Star

Quote from: Philoctetes on June 08, 2011, 10:14:34 AM
What irony?

First of all, what defines art, the idea behind it or the work of art itself?
Second, the justification of making naive, popular art and somehow make it have seemingly more depth by saying it's somehow ironic. Sort of like imagining that the Eroica is an ironic portrayal of Napoleon. Which it of course isn't.

Or perhaps you meant to ask what Calvin meant by the snowman being ironic - he probably suggests that life isn't really as idyllic as the snowman makes it seem. That in fact people don't shovel their driveways or whatever.

At least that's how I view this work of art - perhaps the only comic I would really call art.

My photographs on Flickr

Philoctetes

Quote from: North Star on June 08, 2011, 01:04:44 PM
First of all, what defines art, the idea behind it or the work of art itself?
Second, the justification of making naive, popular art and somehow make it have seemingly more depth by saying it's somehow ironic. Sort of like imagining that the Eroica is an ironic portrayal of Napoleon. Which it of course isn't.

Or perhaps you meant to ask what Calvin meant by the snowman being ironic - he probably suggests that life isn't really as idyllic as the snowman makes it seem. That in fact people don't shovel their driveways or whatever.

At least that's how I view this work of art - perhaps the only comic I would really call art.

Lovely.

So is this definition rigid... of art?

North Star

Quote from: Philoctetes on June 08, 2011, 01:10:00 PM
Lovely.

Do I detect irony here, too?

Quote from: Philoctetes on June 08, 2011, 01:10:00 PM
So is this definition rigid... of art?

What exactly do you mean? If you ask whether I think that art is always the work of art itself and not some fancy thought inside the artists mind, then I'd say that the definition is rigid. Of course this doesn't mean that a symphony score inside Mozart's head is not art until it's written down. What I mean is that the idea an artist represents with the work of art is not in itself art. For example, if Shostakovitch planned to write a symphony mocking Stalin, the idea of mocking Stalin is not art.

My photographs on Flickr

Philoctetes

Quote from: North Star on June 08, 2011, 02:56:16 PM
Do I detect irony here, too?

What exactly do you mean? If you ask whether I think that art is always the work of art itself and not some fancy thought inside the artists mind, then I'd say that the definition is rigid. Of course this doesn't mean that a symphony score inside Mozart's head is not art until it's written down. What I mean is that the idea an artist represents with the work of art is not in itself art. For example, if Shostakovitch planned to write a symphony mocking Stalin, the idea of mocking Stalin is not art.

I'm always ironic.

I see. So art becomes art when actualized?

Philoctetes

North Star

Quote from: Philoctetes on June 08, 2011, 03:06:39 PM
I'm always ironic.

I see. So art becomes art when actualized?
Something like that.

And then there's of course the thing that Calvin is hoping to get the approval and money of the bourgeois, while ridiculing them, or at least claiming to do so.

My photographs on Flickr

Philoctetes

Quote from: North Star on June 08, 2011, 09:59:55 PM
And then there's of course the thing that Calvin is hoping to get the approval and money of the bourgeois.

Wasn't Calvin bourgeois, himself?

North Star

Quote from: Philoctetes on June 09, 2011, 09:06:43 AM
Wasn't Calvin bourgeois, himself?

Yes, but he was just trying to appear as more artistic with that statement of the work being ironic - and thus having greater artistic value.

My photographs on Flickr

Philoctetes

offbeat