Only the New (art)

Started by Philoctetes, November 13, 2010, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on May 24, 2013, 08:43:28 AM
I don't know, I generally find it in bad taste for one artist to comment negatively of another artist's work - especially at the show itself.  And I think this despite all the quotes from very famous artists dissing their colleagues.  I do not consider that to their credit.

::)

Quote from: Octave on May 24, 2013, 09:10:59 AM
What was interesting about the opinion, Cato?

Not that you asked me (you didn't) but what I find interesting (even necessary) is that the artist is developing a filter.  For an older, more experienced artist who has a body of work under his belt already, it becomes less necessary;  but when you are just learning your craft, you don't really get anywhere -- you don't learn how to do what you need to do -- by thinking, it's all great art.

We probably all agree that Dyagilev overstated it a bit -- he was just emerging from the era of Romantic sensibility, after all -- but when he said, "To be a great artist, you must learn to hate." -- there's an important kernel of truth in there.

I'll admit there is music which I consider utter rubbish. But then, neither do I have any need to blare out on a megaphone that it's rubbish, particularly on GMG where there may be a neighbor whom I wish to do no injury, and who quite likes that rubbish that music.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Cato

Quote from: Octave on May 24, 2013, 09:10:59 AM
What was interesting about the opinion, Cato?  ...  It does seem remarkable that with a promising future ahead of her, she already sounds like people who have already failed at creatively making things and sublimated their bitterness and disappointment into exactitude. ...

How did she become so weary, so soon?

Quote from: karlhenning on May 24, 2013, 09:21:46 AM
Not that you asked me (you didn't) but what I find interesting (even necessary) is that the artist is developing a filter.  For an older, more experienced artist who has a body of work under his belt already, it becomes less necessary;  but when you are just learning your craft, you don't really get anywhere -- you don't learn how to do what you need to do -- by thinking, it's all great art.

The girl was expressing (I think) not quite world-weariness with the comment, but rather exasperation with the modern scholastic atmosphere of "everyone is a winner" as parents and grandparents fawned over everything.

She is old enough and experienced enough now, as Karl says above, to have started filtering things.
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

CaughtintheGaze

CaughtintheGaze

CaughtintheGaze

CaughtintheGaze

CaughtintheGaze

CaughtintheGaze

CaughtintheGaze

Octave

How do you discover new pieces and makers, Philo?  It seems at a glance like you draw your images from a large number of sources.  I enjoy looking at contemporary art, but it's often hard for me to know where to trawl, and my investigation time can get pretty thin. 
Are there some useful feeds or aggregators or whatnot for looking at/for things?
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

CaughtintheGaze

Quote from: Octave on June 22, 2013, 12:35:37 AM
How do you discover new pieces and makers, Philo?  It seems at a glance like you draw your images from a large number of sources.  I enjoy looking at contemporary art, but it's often hard for me to know where to trawl, and my investigation time can get pretty thin. 
Are there some useful feeds or aggregators or whatnot for looking at/for things?

My first rule is to always keep an open mind, and to not trust my first impulse. I also will post artists whose works don't appeal to me currently, as this thread is not about my personal preference, but rather about presenting artists who are currently still alive and working.

As to my method, it's largely luck of the draw (hyperlinking, usually) and the use of aggregation (category:wikipedia, usually).

CaughtintheGaze

CaughtintheGaze

Henk

'Being humble and wise is knowing not being wise.'