Only the New (art)

Started by Philoctetes, November 13, 2010, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torut

Quote from: Greg on March 11, 2014, 06:13:17 PM
And now I do too, thanks.
I am glad that you liked it too. His Frank is amazing and very weird. I have most of his comic books and a book of drawings "Seeing Things."

Another local artist found at SJMA. I like this kind of feel of a material.

JO WHALEY
Atomic Tea Party

Philo

Quote from: torut on March 12, 2014, 11:13:54 PM
I am glad that you liked it too. His Frank is amazing and very weird. I have most of his comic books and a book of drawings "Seeing Things."

Another local artist found at SJMA. I like this kind of feel of a material.

JO WHALEY
Atomic Tea Party

That's very cool torut.

For the evening: Monika Wulfers
http://www.monikawulfers.com/

torut

Thank you, Philo.

I am not particularly a fan of his, but Tetsuya Ishida's art is grabbing. He died at the age of 31 in 2005 at a railroad. It is said that there is a possibility of suicide, but it is not clear, although Wikipedia concluded so.

I recalled him when I saw this post.

Quote from: knight66 on January 16, 2011, 10:38:53 PM
greg, if it is creepy you want, try Ron Mueck's hyper realistic pieces. They are almost alarming. Either huge or very small, he takes the human figure and places the viewer at 'the wrong scale'. You look at them and marvel at the technique, but much more than that you wonder and you think.

ibanezmonster

Quote from: torut on March 13, 2014, 08:29:02 PM
Thank you, Philo.

I am not particularly a fan of his, but Tetsuya Ishida's art is grabbing. He died at the age of 31 in 2005 at a railroad. It is said that there is a possibility of suicide, but it is not clear, although Wikipedia concluded so.

I recalled him when I saw this post.
That's some awesome stuff, and each painting seems to be trying to convey a message and although the general theme is clear, each specific message can be difficult to interpret. He probably would have been happier if he weren't born in a society that is so intensely workaholic-oriented.

side note: something I learned a few months is that the first energy drink ever developed was developed in Japan in order to keep workers alert, since they worked so hard for such long hours.  :-\

torut

Quote from: Greg on March 14, 2014, 04:44:06 AM
That's some awesome stuff, and each painting seems to be trying to convey a message and although the general theme is clear, each specific message can be difficult to interpret. He probably would have been happier if he weren't born in a society that is so intensely workaholic-oriented.
I think some of his art are too explicit, and I usually don't like art that expresses "messages" in a direct manner. But still, his paintings are intriguing.

side note: something I learned a few months is that the first energy drink ever developed was developed in Japan in order to keep workers alert, since they worked so hard for such long hours.  :-\
I remember seeing an advertisement of such energy drink saying "Can you work for 25 hours?", implying that if you take their drink, you can work for 25 hours a day! ???

ibanezmonster

Quote from: torut on March 14, 2014, 06:11:17 AM
I remember seeing an advertisement of such energy drink saying "Can you work for 25 hours?", implying that if you take their drink, you can work for 25 hours a day! ???
Lol. I saw something on TV years ago about research for a pill that could eliminate the need for sleep. Then they showed footage of Japanese salary men and said that businesses would make them work 24/7 without a break. Sounds fun?...  :-X

torut

Quote from: Greg on March 14, 2014, 06:59:11 AM
Lol. I saw something on TV years ago about research for a pill that could eliminate the need for sleep. Then they showed footage of Japanese salary men and said that businesses would make them work 24/7 without a break. Sounds fun?...  :-X
Workers at start-up companies in Silicon Valley work very hard for a long time, too, but they seem more relaxed and merrier. Just an impression from my narrow personal experience.

I am not sure how much Ishida intended to express depressing nature of the society or how he wanted his works to be seen, but we can see his works independent from such things. They seem grim but also humorous. He might have been happy in his life, he might have died just by an accident...

torut

Is David Lynch too famous (not "new") for this thread?

David Lynch - 'SMALL STORIES'

torut

KATEŘINA DRŽKOVÁ
Katerina Drzkova, Refugees 1B, 2006. Inkjet print, 7 x 7 cm.
Katerina Drzkova, Refugees 1A, 2006. Inkjet print, 50 x 50 cm.

Philo

Thanks as always torut, and David Lynch is perfectly fine for this thread, as he is still alive, but there really aren't any hard and fast rules for this thread.

For the night: Jason Peot
http://www.jasonpeot.com/

torut

Thank you, I just wondered if this thread is for new and (relatively) unknown artists.

Fashionably Late For The Relationship (2008)
Roger Luke DuBois, Lián Amaris Sifuentes

10 minutes excerpt
http://www.youtube.com/v/pDuwn5xN2rg

Roger Luke DuBois (*1975) is an American composer, performer, conceptual new media artist, programmer, record producer and pedagogue based in New York City.

The music is also very nice.  It was composed and performed by DuBois and violinist Todd Reynolds. (I posted his music work at 21st century music thread.)

Full length video

torut

Bruce Charlesworth - Love Disorder (2008)

QuoteLove Disorder is a one-room interactive environment, in which a twelve-foot video character talks to visitors and responds emotionally to their movement. 

Video on Vimeo

Philo

Quote from: torut on March 14, 2014, 09:06:39 PM
Thank you, I just wondered if this thread is for new and (relatively) unknown artists.

You're most welcome. We largely play it fast and loose. Us contemporanists must stick together!

For the night: Paola Cabal
http://blogs.saic.edu/sophseminar/faculty/ptdw-paola-cabal/

torut

Sure!  :) I am glad that you revived this thread last month, after a few months of hibernation. I wish other members post more new art works as before.

Feric Feng (*1974)

Ferology . V

Entering

Ferology . I

I really liked his animation Inside Out.

torut

Akira Yamaguchi (*1969)

Unforgettable Electric Poles (2012)

Horse Stable 2004 (2004)

Philo

Quote from: torut on March 15, 2014, 10:16:06 PM
Sure!  :) I am glad that you revived this thread last month, after a few months of hibernation. I wish other members post more new art works as before.

I have that wish as well.

For the early morning: Jorinde Voigt
http://www.jorindevoigt.com/

torut

Quote from: Philo on March 16, 2014, 11:03:13 PM
For the early morning: Jorinde Voigt
http://www.jorindevoigt.com/
His works are very unique, thank you. There is a work called Ludwig van Beethoven Sonate 1 bis 32 (2012).

JIM LAMBIE
Vortex 'Love Song", 2012

torut

torut

Beryl Korot - Text/Weave/Line—Video (1977-2010)

Beryl Korot on Vimeo

Etheredge's work recalled me the cover art of Music for 18 Musicians (ECM). I learned that it is a work of Beryl Korot, Steve Reich's wife.

torut