Only the New (art)

Started by Philoctetes, November 13, 2010, 07:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torut

Miriam Elia - We Go to the Gallery

These are from Miriam Elia's book We Go to the Gallery. I want to purchase the book, but it is unavailable now because Penguin books claims that it infringes the copyright to the Ladybird children's books that they own. See her website for the details.

torut

I am so glad you are back, Philo. :laugh:

Carlos Katastrofsky - Object of Desire (2005-2008) - Shellscript on custom-made computer

Mirror Image

Quote from: torut on April 26, 2014, 11:09:24 PM
Vytautas Laisonas - Laukimas (2014)

Vytautas Laisonas is a Lithuanian painter. His paintings remind me of the works of another Lithuanian painter, also a composer, though it is not new.

Mikolajus Konstantinas Ciurlionis - WAYSIDE CROSSES OF ŽEMAITIJA (1909)

His string quartets and orchestra works are very nice. The album cover is also his painting.

Great paintings. I'm always impressed to see what an artist can do with oil on canvas, which is my favorite medium in art.

torut

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2014, 09:08:53 AM
Great paintings. I'm always impressed to see what an artist can do with oil on canvas, which is my favorite medium in art.
Although I recently came to like installation and sculpture, I used to prefer paintings, and I also feel that the possibilities of oil on canvas are amazing.

Patricia Van Lubeck - The other one (2013)

Mirror Image

Quote from: torut on May 10, 2014, 09:14:04 PM
Although I recently came to like installation and sculpture, I used to prefer paintings, and I also feel that the possibilities of oil on canvas are amazing.

That's a nice painting there, torut. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, in time, I'll come to appreciate some of the other mediums in the visual arts. Just a quick question, what would stained glass be classified as? The reason I ask is because I love Chagall's work.

torut

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 10, 2014, 09:17:21 PM
That's a nice painting there, torut. Thanks for sharing. Hopefully, in time, I'll come to appreciate some of the other mediums in the visual arts. Just a quick question, what would stained glass be classified as? The reason I ask is because I love Chagall's work.
I am not sure what you are asking, but I think Chagall's works are fantastic. I don't know much about art classification. Are you looking for a term like "Neo Surrealism"? (That is what Lubeck's style was called. :))

Ken B

Quote from: torut on May 10, 2014, 09:14:04 PM

I like it and I don't know why. It has sort of a softer de Chirico feel.

Mirror Image

Quote from: torut on May 10, 2014, 09:34:48 PM
I am not sure what you are asking, but I think Chagall's works are fantastic. I don't know much about art classification. Are you looking for a term like "Neo Surrealism"? (That is what Lubeck's style was called. :))

I'm asking about the medium in which stained glass would be classified not what style a piece of art is in. I own several art history books that I've been meaning to read. Seems like now is a good time to read them. :)

torut

Quote from: Philo on May 10, 2014, 09:51:55 PM
I think it's likely that stained glass would be classified under glass arts.
That is probably the answer to the Mirror Image's question. (The medium is glass.) I have another question. What is the art form of stained glass art? Painting, architecture, sculpture, or installation? (I am just curious. :))

torut

Thank you!

Federal Studio - Cars upside down (2006)

torut

When I was searching for Karla Black, I found this nice site of Modern Art.

Lothar Hempel (born 1966) - The Lazy Afternoon (2007)

torut

Quote from: Philo on May 13, 2014, 06:43:56 PM
For the night: Doug Jeppesen
http://www.dougjeppesen.com/

His pottery is fantastic. There is a sense of Wabi but also it's modern. This is just $30. (SOLD)

Another tea bowl that is nice to see but too modern to use. $410 (SOLD) ;D

Amy Chase - Impervious (2011)

torut

Frederik De Wilde - Quantum Object #1 (2013)

QuoteQuantum Object #1 is 3D model generated by using a live data feed from quantum fluctuation measurement devices used by the Australian National University, Department of Quantum Science lead by Dr. Thomas Seymul.

torut

Tam Van Tran (born 1966) - Lost in Saigon (2012-2013)

torut

Jirapat Tatsanasomboon - Control vs Freedom (after D. Hirst) (2014)

torut

torut

Carsten Nicolai - future past perfect pt. 04 (stratus) (2013)

torut

:laugh:

Ryan Gander - More really shiny things that don't mean anything (2012)

torut

Mikiko Kumazawa (b. 1983) - Unstable Life (2011)

torut

Sam Taylor-Johnson - Self Portrait Suspended IV (2004)