Gubaidulina's Canticle

Started by Mirror Image, November 17, 2010, 02:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 25, 2021, 01:16:58 PM
Happy birthday to Ms. Gubaidulina. Age 90, amazing. I have yet to really click with any of her music, but I would love to hear more of it. The only disc I have is The Canticle of the Sun with Rostropovich on EMI, and I think it may be a tad too esoteric for me. Anyone have any recommendations?

According to Wikipedia, she idolizes Anton Webern and J.S. Bach—two of my favorite composers.

I am in a similar situation, I have only heard one of her works, In tempus praesens, performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter and it didn't resonate with me. I'm not aware of how that work relates to Gubaiduilina's body of work.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Brahmsian

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 25, 2021, 01:22:37 PM
I am in a similar situation, I have only heard one of her works, In tempus praesens, performed by Anne-Sophie Mutter and it didn't resonate with me. I'm not aware of how that work relates to Gubaiduilina's body of work.

That is the only work I have heard as well.

vers la flamme

I ordered this:

Excited to check it out.

Mirror Image

Some of my favorite Gubaidulina works: Sieben Worte, Fachwerk, Viola Concerto, Pro et Contra, Offertorium, Music for Flute, Strings and Percussion, Piano Sonata, Garten von Freuden und Traurigkeiten and Alleluja. She was a difficult composer for me to get into because I didn't quite understand where she was coming from musically. Sometimes it takes awhile to assess a composer's style(s) and Penderecki was another one that took me quite some time to get into. She's not easy and her music doesn't fall on the ears like a velvet blanket, but I think she's an incredible composer and has a phenomenal ear for sonorities.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 25, 2021, 01:25:39 PM
I ordered this:

Excited to check it out.

A great disc! I wish Rozhdestvensky had recorded more of her work.

bhodges

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 25, 2021, 01:16:58 PM
Happy birthday to Ms. Gubaidulina. Age 90, amazing. I have yet to really click with any of her music, but I would love to hear more of it. The only disc I have is The Canticle of the Sun with Rostropovich on EMI, and I think it may be a tad too esoteric for me. Anyone have any recommendations?

According to Wikipedia, she idolizes Anton Webern and J.S. Bach—two of my favorite composers.

You might try Offertorium (her first violin concerto), which uses the theme from Bach's BWV 1079 as its starting point. Gubaidulina then takes that theme and subjects it to a somewhat Webern-like treatment (i.e., the piece shows influences of both).

On YouTube (just for easy access), I see the original with Gidon Kremer, which is very good. But there are also a good number of other, more recent versions that look quite interesting.

I am listening to this one now, and so far, it's superb. (I don't recall ever hearing this violinist.)
Arabella Steinbacher with Christoph von Dohnányi and NDR Sinfonieorchester (from 2009)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6hHDbLxo8

--Bruce

Quote from: Mirror Image on October 25, 2021, 02:56:16 PM
Some of my favorite Gubaidulina works: Sieben Worte, Fachwerk, Viola Concerto, Pro et Contra, Offertorium, Music for Flute, Strings and Percussion, Piano Sonata, Garten von Freuden und Traurigkeiten and Alleluja.

All good recs. She has a particular love for low timbres, so there's a lot of bassoon and lower strings in many of her works.

Quote from: vers la flamme on October 25, 2021, 01:25:39 PM
I ordered this:

Excited to check it out.

A great one. Hope you like it, and let us know!

--Bruce

Spotted Horses

Quote from: Brewski on October 25, 2021, 05:28:36 PMI am listening to this one now, and so far, it's superb. (I don't recall ever hearing this violinist.)
Arabella Steinbacher with Christoph von Dohnányi and NDR Sinfonieorchester (from 2009)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ob6hHDbLxo8

--Bruce

I am a fan of Steinbacher, particularly her recordings of the Bartok Concerti, and French Violin Sonatas.

There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

bhodges

Quote from: Spotted Horses on October 25, 2021, 06:37:06 PM
I am a fan of Steinbacher, particularly her recordings of the Bartok Concerti, and French Violin Sonatas.

Thanks for these recs. As a fan of all of these, will want to hear them at some point.

--Bruce

CRCulver

Deutsche Grammophon has just released a recording of three recent(-ish) orchestral works by Gubaidulina.

bhodges

After some Gubaidulina love elsewhere, I found this fantastic live survey of all four of her string quartets, performed last fall by the Poland-based Royal String Quartet. Marvelous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbeS-PUaqDo

--Bruce

brewski

Friday at 11:00 am (EST), cellist Julia Hagen will perform some of Gubaidulina's works for solo cello. The cool thing: she'll be at the architectural marvel that is the Elbphilharmonie in Hamburg, but not inside the hall.

In the parking garage.

-Bruce
"I set down a beautiful chord on paper—and suddenly it rusts."
—Alfred Schnittke (1934-1998)